Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Student Loans

of course they don't monitor it....they get to charge you interest for it later and you will be an old hag like me living in the middle east paying off the damn things.....but I digress. Why don't you take out a care loan? It's interest free for 18 months for any surgery you want to have. If you can pay try to pay it off before the interest kicks in this way you are paying no interest. I made the same mistake you are about to make.....DON"T DO IT. Do the care loan it's interest free and you won't be paying it off for the rest of your life. In the event you ever have to claim bankrupcy ( I hope you never ever do, but you never know what will happen in the future) your student loan cannot be claimed and you will pay it until you die, whatever circumstances!!!

That is a great point! Student loan debt is NOT forgivable through bankruptcy - other debt is. I would look for a personal or Care Credit loan first.

And yes - on the fraud part. It DOES NOT matter what your school policy is....it has to to do with federal taxpayer money being used to subsidize your surgery. The money is to be used for school related expenses. There is no stretch of your imagination that could make weight loss surgery be considered a school related expense.

There are other (and frankly cheaper/easier) ways of getting the money for surgery than what you plan to do.

School related? No. But my health has a correlation on how well I'll do in school. It's the same reason schools make you pay for insurance; (in fact, health care insurance is an actual cost that is to come out of my living expenses as described in my financial aid statement; my school made me sign a contract that stated I had to keep health insurance) and this is a healthcare cost. To keep healthy and keep going to school.

School related? No. But my health has a correlation on how well I'll do in school. It's the same reason schools make you pay for insurance; (in fact, health care insurance is an actual cost that is to come out of my living expenses as described in my financial aid statement; my school made me sign a contract that stated I had to keep health insurance) and this is a healthcare cost. To keep healthy and keep going to school.

Don't get yourself down about this maidenari. My student loan was NOT subsidized. MY tax dollars therefore are going to pay someone else's loans. I understand not everyone can qualify for other loans, too. Anyone can get a student loan. So if this is the only way for you to get the money, then do it. And why do you think they give you so much money? The books cost this much. The tuition costs this much. Gas costs this much. food costs this much. It is always more. Thousands more. They are well aware that people do not use every penny for school related things.

What is the interest rate on care loans AFTER the 18 months are up? Seems like I read where it is in the teens or low twenties, just like a credit card. Most people do not pay them off that quickly either. Especially if you are paying back upwards of 15-20,000 dollars.

BTW, it will not take you 'the rest of your life' to pay back a student loan. I have paid off two.

Good luck to you!smile.gif

To be clear, you qualify for student loans based on the criteria for the loans you apply whether they are private or federal- period. There are no "student Loan" police that ask you to prove how you spent your money. It is NOT fraud people. If it was, then people would be required to prove how they spent the excess money they received above payment of their tuition. I regularly borrowed more than my tuition because I needed it to live on while going to school. It is a PERSONAL choice what one does with that money. Personally, to spend it on something like this over blowing it on buying t.v.'s, electronics, beer, etc.is by far a better choice.

To be clear, you qualify for student loans based on the criteria for the loans you apply whether they are private or federal- period. There are no "student Loan" police that ask you to prove how you spent your money. It is NOT fraud people. If it was, then people would be required to prove how they spent the excess money they received above payment of their tuition. I regularly borrowed more than my tuition because I needed it to live on while going to school. It is a PERSONAL choice what one does with that money. Personally, to spend it on something like this over blowing it on buying t.v.'s, electronics, beer, etc.is by far a better choice.

Except you are wrong. Google student loan fraud and you get thousands of pages about it. Here is one example:

http://savannahnow.com/latest-news/2011-07-13/savannah-trio-indicted-federal-student-loan-fraud-case

You are right that there are no "student loan" police that are checking out what every dollar is spent on. But the fine print of every loan document will say that the money is to be spent on educational expenses only. That includes tuition, books, housing, food, and possible transportation. Surgery or other medical expenses are not included in that.

So basically it is not allowed - but if you don't get caught its ok. I guess some people feel its ok to go through life living by that code. Not me. To each their own.

They were only prosecuted because they lied to become QUALIFIED for the student loans- not because of how they spent the money.

Find me a case where someone who legally obtained their student loan money and chose to spend it on something other than school related expenses.

Except you are wrong. Google student loan fraud and you get thousands of pages about it. Here is one example:

http://savannahnow.c...loan-fraud-case

You are right that there are no "student loan" police that are checking out what every dollar is spent on. But the fine print of every loan document will say that the money is to be spent on educational expenses only. That includes tuition, books, housing, food, and possible transportation. Surgery or other medical expenses are not included in that.

So basically it is not allowed - but if you don't get caught its ok. I guess some people feel its ok to go through life living by that code. Not me. To each their own.