Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NOT STAYING ON 6 MONTH DIET

Hola everyone! I am currently in my 3rd month of my 6 month supervised diet and my next appt w/ my PCP is on Wenesday. Well, back in May he wanted me to start Weight Watchers and he put me on adipex as well. So, the problem is I haven't been persistant with either one and my last visit I lost 5 lbs and when I got on the scale this morning it looks like I have gained that back plus another pound. I am so embarrased to even go back to his office having gained weight. How can he really list what I have been doing in my medical record when I clearly haven't been sticking to the diet? I would feel like a fool saying that I have been working out and staying on the plan, but at the same time if I tell him the truth I fear I won't be approved for surgery! Did anybody else go thru this and what should I do? I feel like my only option is starving myself for the next couple of days so I can at least get that 5lbs off....PLEASE HELP!!! What should I do?

The best thing is to be honest with your doctor...and yourself. I lost 0 pounds during my supervised diet. If it was that easy we wouldn't need the surgery. This is the time to dig deep and figure out why you aren't able to stick to the plan. The more we figure out about ourselves before the surgery, the better.

I am in the same exact place as you. I keep losing and gaining the same 5 lbs. I hate going to my doctor and getting weighed because I know she'll be disappointed. I'm 4 months in my 6 month diet. It's so hard. What happened last time was I was on my period when I went in and of course we gain Water weight during that time. I told her I was a few pounds lighter than what the scale revealed which i actually was. She was okay with that and recorded the weight I told her I was. She then said "well I guess every time you come in from now on, you'll probably will be on your period and we as women gain 2-10 lbs on our periods so just keep me posted on your actual weight". So I hope I'm on my period again so I can just give her a number and she'll record that for the sake of the diet. My insurance representative said they arent interested in how much weight I lose or dont lose they want to see if I'm willing to be diligent about going to the doctor on a regular basis. I understand the reasoning behind the 6 month diets but it's also very hard. I'd much rather have to be made to go to a class that actually helped with my mental issues with food because diets for me dont work, if they did I wouldnt be hitting almost 300 pounds. Anyway, I hope it works out for you!

I kind of went thru the same thing. I was 229 at my first appt in May, gained 7 lbs at my 2nd appt which put me at 236. At my 3rd appt I was only down 3 lbs to 233. So I'm actually up 4 lbs from where I started in May. I bs'ed the first 3 months of my diet....i actually have a stash of phentermine (adipex) that I use for emergencies to drop weight fast. Can I ask why you aren't taking the medication? Everytime I was on it I was able to lose weight fast, but as soon as I stopped it I gained everything back very quickly. My advice would be to take the adipex and try to stay on track for the next few days before ur appt. Also drink lots of Water.< /p>

I went through the same thing during my 6 mo diet but keep in mind if all it took was a doctor "supervising" our diet no one would need or want VSG. It just isn't the answer for us. If your doctor doesn't understand that then you might think about finding one who is more supportive of the surgery and less supportive of traditional, non-effective weightloss methods.

I look as the whole 6 month diet as it being a chance for you to get your mind right about surgery and to know that you are ready mentally and emotionally. Don't fret about it just know it is a step toward your end goal. As soon as I quit worrying about it so much I actually ended the 6 mo diet with a 8 lb loss. Good luck and keep your eye on the prize!

I am so sorry this whole 6MSWL is causing you so much strife and worry. This is why I hate the six months. It has the benefit of giving you time to find out more about the surgery and what life will entail afterward, but it also makes me think it is set up for our eventual failure. Studies have shown the six months even three months does nothing to help the patient. It all about the insurance weeding process.

I will be keeping you in my thoughts, please take care.

I fluctuated with my weight horribly during my 6 months. I ranged between 310 and 292 for the entire 6 months, my last weigh in before sending in for insurance approval on June 2 was 302. I think it is more to prove to insurance that you CAN NOT lose weight on a regular diet. At least, that is my assumption. I wouldn't stress too much. My last pcp visit was June2, I got my approval the following week, and was sleeved July 14th!

ok, got cut off there.....as I was saying Thx all for your encouragement! It makes me feel alot better knowing I am the not the only one who was having this problem. I have to admit, during this time I am learning alot more about habits I didn't even know I had. I eat extremely fast, drink as I eat and I don't stop until I am full to the ABSOLUTE MAX. So when I see my pcp I am gonna let him know what's been going on and make it known that this is extremely important to me. I have never been so adamant about anything in my entire life. This is my time to shine and I'm not letting anyone take it from me!;)

@ lovePINK I have a history of palpatations and the adipex has been know to cause this as well so after taking the adipex for 1 month, I notice it wasn't working for me anymore and my pcp said that since it is a narcotic my body may have gotten used to it so, he told me to take it for a week and stop for a week and so on. Well, honestly my mind is bad and after that week of stopping I forgot to start it back up again and not only that when I stopped it I gained all the weight back. But as of Friday I have gotten back on track and placed an alarm on my phone everytime I need to start back. Where there's a will, there's a way!

Main thing I would say is this - you NEED to stick to it because after the sleeve? You HAVE to change your habits! My NUT told me this is how they know if someone can stick with a strict plan, we have to not only be approved by insurance and our Dr in my program but all of those involved in the program meet and decide if we are a good candidate! Sticking with it may help you avoid additional classes or NUT visits or psych visits in the long run as well! I did weight watchers 5 of my 6 months, I lost 21 lbs and I did cheat here and there but I showed them I can stick with it! If I had really tried I would be down 30-35 instead of 21 but I tried not to stress too much on it, stuck with it 5-6 days a week and even on the days I didn't I enjoyed what I wanted in smaller portions. That's just my thoughts - hope it helps!!

Ahhhh! I'm on the same darn boat! Except, I have a dietician. I have to log all of my food and count cal, mill of salt intake and Calcium. Blah, what a horror.

I stresses me out daily. I haven't lost anything in 3 months. I'm super stressed. My dietician is super skinny. Never a pound over weight a day in her life. She also try's to talk me out of wls. Indent feel she understands.

I have two young kids ( 5 and 9 months) and i take care of my mother in law who has schizophrenia. Logging everything is SO hard.

So sorry guys. Just had to vent and thanks for posting this. Glad I'm not the only one.