Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some complications to start

I choose to have the sleeve surgery to help me become more healthy and active.Quite frankly, as I worked toward my next career goal, I was tired of seeinglooks of disgust as "the first impression." People accept me and myexpertise once they get to know me and my personality wins most people over -but those looks. And honestly, to achieve my goals I was going to have to bemore active. It wasn't possible at my current weight.

I had my initial surgery on April 25, 2011. Vertical sleeve went smoothly thedoctor said. Problems occurred when they tried to take the gallbladder. Itresulted in a tear on my liver which allowed bile to leak freely into theabdominal cavity. A second surgery to repair the bile leak was performed 3 dayslater. Drains were inserted. I was sent home on the seventh day in thehospital. I want to say that the nursing care was top notch. I'm a good patient- not a complainer - and these men and women were outstanding in every way.

I was at home for two days when I spiked a fever and had terrible abdominalpain. Saying this, I gave birth to four children, two without pain medicationand I would rate that pain at a 7. This was a 6. Wonderful husband took me toemergency (with divorced parents awaiting my arrival). They completed a CT scanand I was admitted. It seems I also had a gastric leak. Wow! My doctor said Iwas literally like one in a million. Another surgery was performed to clean theabscess that had formed on the outside of the leak. Drains were repositioned anda feeding tube was inserted through abdominal wall to small intestine. Theyalso inserted a PICC line.

Skip ahead - end of June, my husband provides multiple IV medications each dayincluding flushing lines, feed tubes etc. The bile leak has healed and thedrain tube for that was removed (and healed quickly.) However, the doctor wantsto try stints for the stomach. I go in for surgery and two esophagus stints areplaced in me. I awake in recovery vomiting. The vomiting continues for twodays. Since I have taken no food or drink by mouth since my original surgery, Iam throwing up bile or just dry heaving. Another two days and they remove thestints. Instant relief. Doctor releases me and says I can have full liquids. Itake advantage of this and work as many wonderful new items into my diet aspossible. I begin soft foods a week ahead of doc's schedule but that egg whiteomelet with mushrooms was too good!

They removed the drain tube for the stomach July11 and the PICC line on July 14just in time for my daughter's wedding on the 15th. I danced and was so happy -no visible signs of the journey. Today I still have the feeding tube althoughit is precautionary. I've lost 31 pounds to date. This week, the first withoutfeeding, I should begin to lose.

I don't know that I would make the same decision again - but I've been toldI'll be happy in a year. I have started to apply for my next career move. I amso thankful for my husband. He meant "in sickness and in health..."and cared for me gently and completely. I am thankful that I've gained newfriends. I am thankful that I was able to attend my daughter's wedding and thatshe married an awesome man.

This is my story - abbreviated. I hope that it helps others and I hope thatsomeone can recognize the struggles and chat with me.<br style="mso-special-character: line-break;"><br style="mso-special-character: line-break;">

Wow, that is one complex journey. I'm so happy you are doing well today and you got to be at your daughters wedding. I can not imagine going through so many complications.

Good luck to you.

I'm with Robin, I can't imagine having so many complications! You poor woman! Your husband is a saint and the love he has for you just shines through every word you wrote! You have to be a very strong lady to overcome all of those obstacles! All I can say is May God bless you on your continued weight loss journey and may it be smooth sailing from here on till goal!

((((((((((((Cyber Hugs to you))))))))))))))

I'm sorry you had so many complications! That's awful. I am glad you are recovering and seem to be doing better and was able to be at your daughters wedding. I hope things continue to improve for you.