Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I definately lose weight???

Hello Beautiful People,

So scared I wont lose the weight. I've been so strong for the past two weeks. I'm about a month away from my surgery and I'm trying to lose weight befor then, but today I failed! Stopped at McDonalds on my way home from work and bought 2 grille chicken snack wraps!!! So afraid I'll fall back into my bad eating habbits after my sleeve and that I wont lose any weight. Trying so hard to tame this head hunger, but it seems nearly impossible!!!

Honey i guarantee your going to lose.

This is the beginning and its a learning process. This is the first step to learn and live a healthy life style that we have lacked

When we learn something new we don't always do it perfect the first time, your learning something new and sometimes you will mess up, but trust with time your going to get it....

;-)

Head hunger is very tough. To be honest, you didn't to too awful with your choice at McD's - it could have been much worse. Don't let this get you down though. So you slipped. Big deal. It happens. Just get yourself back up and dust yourself off and re-commit tomorrow to not stopping at McD's.

I used to stop at McD's multiple times every day before surgery. I gave it up on May 18 when my dietician said that I had to. Was I perfect? No. I stopped a few times - but I tried to make much better choices than I used to. I even stopped at McD's 2 days before my surgery! I just ordered a salad and went without the dressing - so I think I did good, but still I was tempted for something else.

I am only 6 days post-op, but I can tell you that certain foods that I used to love just simply turn me off now. The thought of eating a Big Mac just turns my tiny stomach right now (and I LOVED them before surgery). pizza no longer appeals to me - I have seen so many commercials for pizza lately and frankly I get sick thinking about it.

So yes, you will lose weight. Your new sleeve is a tool that can help you learn new, healthier eating habits - plus the fact it can't hold very much will definitely help!

Head hunger is very tough. To be honest, you didn't to too awful with your choice at McD's - it could have been much worse. Don't let this get you down though. So you slipped. Big deal. It happens. Just get yourself back up and dust yourself off and re-commit tomorrow to not stopping at McD's.

I used to stop at McD's multiple times every day before surgery. I gave it up on May 18 when my dietician said that I had to. Was I perfect? No. I stopped a few times - but I tried to make much better choices than I used to. I even stopped at McD's 2 days before my surgery! I just ordered a salad and went without the dressing - so I think I did good, but still I was tempted for something else.

I am only 6 days post-op, but I can tell you that certain foods that I used to love just simply turn me off now. The thought of eating a Big Mac just turns my tiny stomach right now (and I LOVED them before surgery). pizza no longer appeals to me - I have seen so many commercials for pizza lately and frankly I get sick thinking about it.

So yes, you will lose weight. Your new sleeve is a tool that can help you learn new, healthier eating habits - plus the fact it can't hold very much will definitely help!

I am 7 days post op and i agree about the head hunger....mentally i want certain foods but the thought of eating them makes my itty bitty tummy turn lol

I'm almost three weeks out... i've lost almost 20 pounds. I don't always make the right decisions on what to eat, but even when I eat something unhealthy, I can only hold a small amount, so yes, you will still lose weight.

I had the same fears (although more with Peanut Butter and chocolate than burgers :) before I was sleeved. I am two months out, and almost 40 lbs down. It's different. You aren't hungry, which makes choices much easier. You are focused on fitting in enough of the right food (Protein, fluids), which is a new mind-set. And, if you eat something non dietetic, it's a much smaller fall. I let myself have some icecream about once a week - I generally have about 5 licks of the baby-cone I am sharing with my daughter. And I am satisfied.

Don't judge how you will do based on how you are doing pre-surgery. The surgery changes more than just your stomach; it changes your mind, your attitude and your behavior. You still need the determination to work (anyone can suck down chocolate shakes), but if you have the desire, you will find you have the will-power and ability.

I am nearing 8 months out and am just about at 150 pounds LOST, that's one whole skinny person LOST! I too was anxious as things (not just diets) typically just don't go right for me, I must be a real schlep :rolleyes:.

Post-op I was not hungry EVER for 6 months and then after 6 months I have a real genuine mild hunger just before SOME meal times, especially if I've worked out or done a lot of physical labor. Now this is a little signal my tummy send me saying "Don't you think it's about time to eat?" not that BIG signal it used to send me "FEED ME . . . NOW!" Pre-op I used to NEVER be full and ALWAYS had room for a little more. Pre-op I can remember just a handful of times when I was uncomfortably full, and that was after MASSIVE meals. I get full now after just a small portion.

I wrote all the above to say this - if it worked for me - Mr. Eat-Non-Stop and ANY reason is a Good Reason to eat, then it WILL work for you.

Now ther HAVE been failures and there always WILL be. As long as man has a will then he can use that will to subvert ANYTHING - including having %80+ of his stomach removed. If you eat constantly post-op and eat too much of the wrong things then you WILL subvert the sleeve and not lose or even gain, but this tool is pretty darned effective of curbing the amount as well as the desire of food.

No one can say for certain but the odds are MASSIVELY in your favor, a whole hell of a lot better than ANY odds in Vegas.

I agree with everyone!! It's a totally different mind set. I'm not STARVING and going for the huge portions. I mainly concentrate on getting my Protein in and feeling satisfied not stuffed. As soon as my sleeve talks I listen. I am almost 3 months post op and I have had two occasions, one early on and one about a month ago, where I felt even though my sleeve said stop, that I didn't eat enough, well my sleeve sure taught me a lesson. NEVERAGAIN!! I eat till I feel that fullness and I stop!!

I went away this weekend with my Best friend for a girls weekend in Atlantic City, I ate a few things that I shouldn't have but I walked and walked and drank my Water and today I'm back on track and I still lost a pound while away. I still stayed on program for the most part, but I had a few sweets I normally wouldn't have had, but I had them in small portion and I did great!! oh and I finally had LOBSTER!! But that wasn't bad because it was all protein!!:P

You will do great!! I have faith that if I can do this anyone can, because I used to eat till I was sick and now I don't and I've lost 51 pounds in 13 weeks (including my preop).

Best of Luck!!

I felt the same way as you. I remember thinking will this even work for me? I can not fail another time! I was so scared about having 85% of my stomach removed just to not lose weight.

My dr. assured me that I would be a GREAT success with the sleeve because I had been successful losing in the past, I just could not keep it off!

I needed something that gave me restriction and now I have it! When you can only eat 2 oz at a time, you WILL lose weight! There is no way you can't!! Trust me, you WILL!!

If and when you go to a fast food place, you will not be able to eat like you do now, so the thought of putting 2 wraps in your sleeve will not be an issue because if you try, you WILL throw up! You might one day be able to do one, but not two!!

My dr. told me that I will be able to eat again, BUT NEVER like I did before! I will NEVER be able to eat 5 pieces of pizza at one time again. I will NEVER be able to eat fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, biscuts, corn & green Beans at one sitting again. I will never be able to go to a buffet and gorge like I did before. I am fine with that.

I will however, be able to eat A donut one day again, but I don' t know that I want to. I think the sleeve (for me anyway) changed my thinking! I am 10 weeks out and I really don't want to eat **** anymore. I want healthy things and have not eaten ANYTHING "bad" since 5 months before my surgery.

As far as not losing tho, it is enevitable. You will lose because you eat so little. Now, you can't just sit on the couch forever and expect it to just fall off. I have to work very hard for every pound I want to lose. However, I am very close to goal too. Follow your dr.'s guidelines and you will do great!!

Kelly ;)

I know the feeling but just like all the others stated YES u will LOSE the WEIGHT!!! It might not come off as fast as you want but u will LOSE!!! I am 4 months out and down 49 lbs which I am happy with!! can't wait until I hit the 170 lbs!!! This is something I use to dream about now its a reality!! I am soooooooo happy with my choice and the money I have spent it was the best 5 grand I ever spent!!!!!!! lol