Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Birth control after VSG?

Ok, so I have been wanting to go on the pill for like forever now, lol, but have just kept putting it off. Hubby and I are using another form of birth control but I want to go back on the pill to regulate my period again. My period has been irregular for 20 years. I was on the pill before two different time, but never really stayed on it long enough to finally get regular. This time I would really like to, but I know it can cause weight gain. Is that something I need to be worried about? I wanted to go on the pill a few months ago, but figured with upcoming surgery and the risk of blod clots after surgery and the fact that the pill makes you more suseptable, I figured I would hold off. I know it probably seems silly, but if I am getting a surgery to help me loose weight, the last thing I want to do is to slow it down!

Anyone have any insight or ideas? Should I wait till I loose my weight? Will it even matter? Thanks everyone!

When I asked about birth control, I was told not to start anything until after surgery because they will make you stop taking them 2 weeks before surgery. I'm looking at getting an IUD so I don't have to deal with all the side effects.

I'm looking at an IUD as well. I asked my surgeon about it at my preop appointment and they said I had to wait at least one month. I had hoped to be able to get it while I was off for my sleeve but that's apparently a no go. Every time I lose weight I get pregnant and then miscarry and even though a baby is one of the contributing factors to my decision to sleeve, my gyno made me promise not to even talk to my husband in a dark room without birth control. She also anticipates that the surgery will help regulate my periods and even lighten them some. Another welcome "side effect" for sure.

No dark rooms! lol That cracks me up!

We've tried to get pregnant for probably the last 3-4 years and absolutely nothing happened. I was able to get pregnant extremely fast with my son back in 2002 but of course, I only weighed about 230. Now, that's a whole lot, I realize but after I had him, I gained and gained. I think my weight is what kept me from getting pregnant because nothing else could be found wrong. Now, because I've had this surgery, I don't want to get pregnant. And because I'm 37 years old and my baby is 8 years old now...I just feel like I'm getting too old and there would be too big of an age gap. I think I would freak out now if I got pregnant. But the IUD is going to cost around $500 because I was told that I have to order it myself. Then the dr. office will file the insurance but it will only cover a portion of that. UGH! Oh well! I don't know if that's the route we'll go but I hope because none of the other options sound appealing to me.

Oh gosh! That's a lot! I didn't even think about it being that expensive! I need to look at that apparently. I'm 20-17 and my daughter is 14 so I figure I have 2 years to lose then a year to conceive. If it happens, GREAT! If not, I can live with that too. My daughter is amazing and I have been blessed WAY more than I deserve as it is.