Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some people are just UNBELIEVABLE

I never forgot I had surgery, but I have had (years ago) moments of muscle memory takeover where I would swallow something before I wanted to swallow it, because I was just in my auto pilot mode and my body hadn't yet developed the new way of chewing/bite size/etc. as a habit. Also times where I took too big of a drink and swallowed it and "remembered" I had to take smaller drinks a little too late. We are creatures of habit.

Yeah, 1/4 cup is my world, too, Meggie!! My husband is 1 year out and can eat "regular, normal" portions of food--like a thin person who hasn't had surgery would eat. I'm so jealous! There is no way I can forget I had surgery--if I do, Sleevie reminds me in a most unpleasant way!! LOL

I totally agree that it's important to get a handle on the mind-eating connection before surgery--if for no other reason than not doing oneself any damage post surgery!

Maybe now I understand what my surgeon meant yesterday when he said "I think you will do well with this surgery. You seem to have a very good grasp of what is being done and the things you are supposed to do afterwards." I kinda got a funny look on my face and said..well the concept isn't rocket science... smaller stomach, less food goes in. Too much food and you compromise the staple line. He told me I would be surprised at the things people do their first or second week out. Anyone ever hear of Darwin Awards? Some DNA should be marked as non-refillable.

Khy

I went to a support group meeting right before my surgery. A lady told us that when she was six days post op and tried to eat a whopper, with all the trimmings, from Burger King! She had to go back into surgery for a leak. I can't even eat the cheesy inside of 1/3 of a hot pocket without throwing up and I'm a month out! Even thinking about eating a burger, healthy or fast food version, makes me feel nauseous.

Mina since you revived this old post I will tell another story. They have been horrifying but fun to read. Well not the deaths, of course.

I was told an RNY man went in to see the surgeon for his 2 week appointment and was sweating, uncomfortable, in pain etc. The nurses thought he was going to have a heart attack. That is how bad he looked. He then started saying "I won't do it again, I promise I won't do it again" over and over again. What did he do? He ate ice cream and was dumping! So not only did he eat the wrong thing, he did it right before seeing his surgeon 2 weeks after surgery!!!!! ohmy.png

I'm eleven days out and can eat a full 6oz yogurt in about 45 minutes but can't eat more than 4 oz of Soup in a sitting. Yogurt just seems to slide right through which is good because I'm struggling to get in enough Protein.

I have noticed my stomach makes the weirdest noises when I'm full. It sort of growls or ...I don't know how to explain it. It's strange. It is a nice "alarm'" system, though.

I don't think there's a chance in heck I would be able to eat an entire hot pocket. The thought of something greasy like that makes me cringe. I am sticking with simple foods for now - greasy stuff just doesn't sound appealing.

I don't think there's a chance in heck I would be able to eat an entire hot pocket. The thought of something greasy like that makes me cringe. I am sticking with simple foods for now - greasy stuff just doesn't sound appealing.

Yeah, I'd never be able to eat a whole hot pocket. I'm nibbling on deli meat wrapped with a tortilla right now, and I had to take part of the tortilla off, and can only eat the two openings! I'm full now and I was nibbling for about 20 minutes.

The thing about the hot pocket that I ate was when I came home, my roommate (who's a stick and can eat anything and everything without gaining an ounce) was eating a hot pocket. I decide to make one (it was one of those plain cheese ones) and was going to eat just some of the innards until I got full and give the rest of to my roommate. Got to the second bite... and rushed to bathroom! Won't be doing that for a loooong time.

is it bad that i was reading just to laugh? lol i mean im not happy about the deaths but seriously? wtf?

Wow... this reminds me of some of the questions other people were asking when I was attending my very, very first informational WLS seminar back when I first started this journey. There is just so much ignorance regarding food and nutrition. Some people are battling not only emotional eating issues but also straight out stupidity.

The fact of the matter is that you can seriously hurt yourself post-op if you have any WLS and don't follow the rules. I know this is why they put you through the psychological ringer ahead of time to make sure you have enough common sense to handle yourself afterwards. And the nutritional counseling too. It's a pain to have to go through but for the people who really don't know better, it can save their lives.

My personal inspiration to do this project right is an acquaintance of mine who had RNY, lost 100+ and just looks awful. We were over at her house a year ago and her partner gave us glasses of sweet tea (they're southern). I took a sip and almost gagged -- there was so much sugar in it I was surprised my spoon didn't stand up straight! I made an offhanded comment and the RNY friend sort of laughed about how she just can't stop drinking her sweet tea after surgery.

I swore to myself I wouldn't become judgemental about other people's eating habits after I lost weight but jeez, it's no wonder she has weight problems (still, even after WLS). I feel bad for her.

food addiction can be very powerful.

No doubt! I feel sick inside for those that died. The guy with the pizza. It must be like how when junkies go to rehab and then come out 'clean' and die of an overdose the first time they shoot up. Shows that food addiction is a real disease. I'm sure the person who did that wasn't thinking properly at all. They were completely out of control. That is terrifying.

Yes these stories are crazy. My surgeon said that the last leak he had was about 10 years ago when this lady ate steak and raw broccoli a week from surgery. Ridiculous! But I've also seen people on youtube, forums and blogs who've had rny and vsg and within the week or two weeks from surgery they are talking about eating tacos, burritos, cheeseburgers, ice cream, cake. I am definitely compulsive and an overeater, so I understand the thoughts and the compulsion but acting on it where you could endanger your life, I don't understand. I don't think people understand how serious non-compliance can be to their health. Sure some people are able to stuff themselfs without having a leak but who wants to be in the group that does have a leak and requires extra surgery or ends in complications?

If Anyone learns anything from this thread it is that the mental portion of weight loss is powerfull. we have to prepare ourselves mentally for the transition and come to terms with the reason we got big. at first i did not understand why i needed a psych exam before being approved to have the surgery. now it all makes sense.