Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When is it okay to take ibuprofen? I am one month post op and I really need to take some Aleve for a non-surgery related problem!

Let me start by saying: call your doctor.

My doc said I could take it after 3 months, as long as I was still taking my acid reducer. I did find that Tylenol worked OK for me in the interim. I will confess that I took advil once for cramps in the second month because I was really suffering. Doc said I could double up on the acid reducer (one at night and one in the morning) while I was taking the advil to try and prevent problems.

That said, it is not a good idea to take ibuprofen right now. Try the tylenol and talk to your doctor about what you can do to get through the pain / inflamation

I always read conflicting info on NSAIDS (ibuprofen)... my doctor says I will NEVER be able to take it again post surgery and will have to get a medical alert Bracelet stating that I cannot have NSAIDS, but I've seen a lot of people on the forums say their dr thought it was ok to take... dunno.

I was told that I will never again be able to take ibuprofen. And here's an example why:

I was just at my 2 week nutritional class today and there was a lady there that had had the bypass years ago. She has taken ibuprofin for the last year or so and it caused an ulcer. She had to have a revision to the sleeve 2 weeks ago because of it. She has been on a feeding tube and still will be for the next 3 weeks. Just something to think about.

I was told that I will never again be able to take ibuprofen. And here's an example why:

I was just at my 2 week nutritional class today and there was a lady there that had had the bypass years ago. She has taken ibuprofin for the last year or so and it caused an ulcer. She had to have a revision to the sleeve 2 weeks ago because of it. She has been on a feeding tube and still will be for the next 3 weeks. Just something to think about.

Will she ever be off the feeding tube? I've heard stories like this before, and I don't want to take the chance of ulcers and having a feeding tube, so I think to play it safe I won't be taking ibuprofen anymore regardless of what some dr's say. (although not being able to have NSAIDS scares me!)

Yes, she said she will be off it in about 3 weeks. So, if I understood her right, when it's all said and done she will have been on it for around 5 weeks. I can't even imagine.

Will she ever be off the feeding tube? I've heard stories like this before, and I don't want to take the chance of ulcers and having a feeding tube, so I think to play it safe I won't be taking ibuprofen anymore regardless of what some dr's say. (although not being able to have NSAIDS scares me!)

I took Advil last night and my doctor prescribed me Tramadol for pain, so now I'm having a mini-heart attack. Have I done serious damage to myself? I'm calling my doctor now.

Edit: Actually I looked and Tramadol is a non-narcotic pain med, but not an NSAID so it shouldn't hurt me. I am having an allergic reaction to it though, so I'm trying to get it switched out to something else. I'm waiting on a call back from my doctor's office. I didn't know that I wouldn't be able to take Advil anymore. It's my go-to pain reliever. :(

It has always been my understanding that pouch procedures (Lap Band and GB) cannot take Ibuprofen or NSAIDS. However, I was told I can take these at around a month out as a Sleeve patient. I was told this by Dr. Cirangle and he's a pretty darned good surgeon. He said it was Okay so I go with that.

That said, ALWAYS seek the advice of your own personal surgeon. Do not take advice of this sort from a website, knowing no two answers will be the same. Chances are we will choose the answer that best suits our needs and go with it, and this can hurt you.

Good luck!

I agree with Diva. My dr. told me the same thing and told me he would not do RYN, even though I did not want that procedure because I took ibuprofen for back pain and other meds.

He said with the sleeve I would be able to continue to take my medications and not have to worry about stopping them. Especially the Ibuprofen because with the other procedures you CAN NOT take it, but with the sleeve you CAN!

Kelly :D

Call your dr. and ask him. He will give you the o.k to take what is SAFE FOR YOU!!

Kelly

so what is safe to take right now? Im going on 3 weeks post op!

Thx for all the responses. I just heard back from the doctor - that I should never take ibuprofen because it can cause an ulcer. it probably only does that with prolonged continued use, but I don't think I want to take a chance!

My surgeon said the bypass people can never have Ibuprofin. I had the sleeve and could have it after 30 days. It's no problem for sleeve people according to my surgeon. It's funny how professional opinions vary!

My doctor said that if I ever needed to take Ibupropen, to take it with yogurt. But I am NOT taking any changes. My stomach is TOO small for an ulcer!!!!

Honestly, Tylenol gel caps have worked great so far.

I called my doctor and he prescribed vicodin. I should be fine now.