Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 19th surgery date

Hello all,

My surgery is July 19th. I am a school teacher (1st grade) and go back to work August 8th. I really love my job. Am I going to be able to keep up with my class by then? 

Thanks

congrats on your surgery date!!

thats 1 day shy of 3 weeks, i think you will be FINE! as much walking as tolerated. make sure to get all your Proteins & Water. you may have some discomforts so maybe invest a little on stretch pants so that you are comfy. nothing tight on the waist. maybe some nice flats (for comfort). a pillow to sit on at work (for comfort).

good luck!

keep us updated on everything :)

Hello all,

My surgery is July 19th. I am a school teacher (1st grade) and go back to work August 8th. I really love my job. Am I going to be able to keep up with my class by then? 

Thanks

Congrats on the date! You should be fine. I'm planning on returning August 1 - which is 1 day shy of 3 weeks too. Some people have gone back to work after just 5 days. I think it just depends on the person.

Wow August 8th is early to begin the school year! I also teach but we don't go back until the 22nd and kids come the 25th. You should be fine after 3 weeks. You will probably be really tired at the end of the day so try to pre-plan as much as possible (I know easier said than done). Will you tell any co-workers? I told a support staff teacher so she could be there if I needed her to fill in for me if I needed to take a break. That worked out well. Good luck to you with surgery and the upcoming school year! :D

I have the same date as you. I drive school bus and was concerned about being ready to go back, but I don't start until Aug. 29th. I wish you the best of luck.

While everyone is different, you will likely be up and about, moving around like normal much earlier than 3 weeks. Just make sure you walk as much as you can and drink the required amount of Protein drinks and liquids. I just had surgery last Wednesday. Wed. afternoon, I didn't hesitate to ask for pain meds and slept most of the day. Thursday, I was still in some pain and by this time I was questioning what I had done:). I walked the halls 4-5 times and I sipped some liquids but the comfort of the bed felt great. I came home Thursday afternoon. Friday was another lazy day for me. I tried to drink a shot glass of liquids every 15-30 minutes throughout the day. I didn't walk very much on Friday though. Saturday, I got up and haven't slowed down since. We went to the mall and shopping in 4-5 stores outside the mall. I walked over 3 miles. Sunday I walked almost 2 miles. And, today, I am almost back to normal. I have some staples on one incision that are right at my waist line and my pants have irritated it a little bit, but not enough for pain meds. Staples come out this Thursday. I've been drinking alot of nectar, broth, and sugar free popcicles and taking my Vitamins everyday and my body feels fine. I have an office job and I went back to work today. And - did I mention, I am 56 years old?? So, if I can do it, you can do it!!! Good luck! It's exciting to start this journey!

wow! congrats on your progress! thats great. keep up the good work. i cant wait to hear more.

While everyone is different, you will likely be up and about, moving around like normal much earlier than 3 weeks. Just make sure you walk as much as you can and drink the required amount of Protein drinks and liquids. I just had surgery last Wednesday. Wed. afternoon, I didn't hesitate to ask for pain meds and slept most of the day. Thursday, I was still in some pain and by this time I was questioning what I had done:). I walked the halls 4-5 times and I sipped some liquids but the comfort of the bed felt great. I came home Thursday afternoon. Friday was another lazy day for me. I tried to drink a shot glass of liquids every 15-30 minutes throughout the day. I didn't walk very much on Friday though. Saturday, I got up and haven't slowed down since. We went to the mall and shopping in 4-5 stores outside the mall. I walked over 3 miles. Sunday I walked almost 2 miles. And, today, I am almost back to normal. I have some staples on one incision that are right at my waist line and my pants have irritated it a little bit, but not enough for pain meds. Staples come out this Thursday. I've been drinking alot of nectar, broth, and sugar free popcicles and taking my Vitamins everyday and my body feels fine. I have an office job and I went back to work today. And - did I mention, I am 56 years old?? So, if I can do it, you can do it!!! Good luck! It's exciting to start this journey!

Wow Lots of teachers on here. My surgery is July 28th. I will go back towards the end of August. Only thing I am worried about is the diarrhea everyone talks about until they get some solid food. I teach 7th grade and I CANNOT leave them alone. Not sure what the solution is... but... guess I will have to find someone to depend on.

C.

I have the same date as you. I drive school bus and was concerned about being ready to go back, but I don't start until Aug. 29th. I wish you the best of luck.

I drive a school bus too! I'm actually working summer school. I go in tomorrow and Wednesday and am having surgery on Thursday. I'm going to try and go back on Tuesday, since I only have to be there a 4 hours, and only drive in 30 hour increments with 30 minute breaks. I think I can manage, but they have a backup plan in case I'm not up for it!

This is great! You are all so supportive. I really haven't told very many people, just a few close friends and family. One of them is a coworker who teaches on my hall so she will help me. I am trying to get as much done this week as I can. I like to just walk in my classroom ready to go the first week.

I love my job and am having this surgery for health reasons so I can keep my job. I am a type 2 diabetic who has developed severe painful diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Standing all day has become a nightmare and I rarely sit when I teach. I am ready to be healthy and pain free! The healing process after surgery is my only big concern. I don't do well with nausea

This is great! You are all so supportive. I really haven't told very many people, just a few close friends and family. One of them is a coworker who teaches on my hall so she will help me. I am trying to get as much done this week as I can. I like to just walk in my classroom ready to go the first week.

I love my job and am having this surgery for health reasons so I can keep my job. I am a type 2 diabetic who has developed severe painful diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Standing all day has become a nightmare and I rarely sit when I teach. I am ready to be healthy and pain free! The healing process after surgery is my only big concern. I don't do well with nausea

Make sure you let your doc know that you have issues with nausea, maybe they will give you a prescription for phenergan for when you are at home.

Everybody really is different. I'm scheduled for August 11 and am due back for court (I'm a public defender) on September 12. I built in a conservative amount of time because rescheduling court is problematic, particularly when my clients are in jail. That's just not fair to them.

My wife had a lap-roux en y bypass and took four weeks off. She went back a week too early evidently because she was back out and in the hospital after week 5 for another week. Her sister had an open (yes open) roux en y bypass and went back to work just fine after I think 10 days because that's all the leave she had. She didn't look back, either.

I'll keep my fingers crossed this works for you!

Hello all,

Thanks

wow thats great you will do good. thats my surgery date too.