Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In my practice I deal with a lot of morbidly obese women and I am always talking to people about healthy eating and exercise and i have talked to some about bariatric surgery. It's amazing to me what people consider small. When I would mention to patients that I'm going to have bariatric surgery they would look me up and down and say "you look normal" At that point I was 248 pounds (I'm 5'6).... Uhm that is not normal. Fast forward to today, I am 40 pounds lighter than I was back in January. I was talking to this patient about weight loss, again she looked me up and down and say " you doctors are always thin". I burst out laughing cause I have seen plenty of fat doctors and I am over 200 pounds (that is not in any book considered thin). I feel as society as a whole become bigger people have a skewed idea of what normal should be. I personally don't put too much stress on BMI, even now my goal weight would put me as overweight, but I don't want to look sick. The wonderful thing I have noticed is when I mention that bariatric surgery is an option these women really listen and ask me to give them information. They hear so many negative things about it and to see me a "normal person" and in the medical profession saying it's okay to consider it makes it okay for it to be an option for them.

one nice thing: a lot of my patients who are new too me can't believe I used to be 40 pounds heavier. I can't wait till they can't believe I use to be 90 pounds heavier :D

I think it is wonderful that you are doing that. I have only known 2 that had WLS. One had complications... incision wouldn't close. Another ended up looking WONDERFUL but it was a hard journey for her. She had restrictions or adhesions or something but I know she had to have a second surgery. Everyone always told me it was so dangerous. I think any surgery has the possibility of complications. I am so glad that you are spreading the word that it is possible and maybe a life saving thing for some people. I wonder why more family practice doctors or internists don't recommend this to their patients. I know it was never mentioned to me.

Khy

Mina,

I think it is great that you are offering this as an option to appropriate patients. I am a nurse and had the same issue you do when I would discuss my surgery with patients, " you arn't that big......" I am 5'8" and when I had surgery I was 268. How is that not that big? I think that obesity has gotten so widespread in our society (no pun intended. haha) that unless you are "superobese" people just don't see it in themselves or in others. Good luck on your journey. I am so glad I had my sleeve. It was the best thing I have ever done for myself. Prior to my surgery people kept asking about the risks of surgery, etc. I could not get them to understand that the risks of the surgery were way smaller than the risks of staying obese.

I get ask a lot about the risks which is good. There's also the horror stories that they have heard and I tell them someone get killed every few seconds in a car accident does that prevent them from getting into a car. Someone on this forum had asked this question: how many fat 90 yo do you know? and I think that's a great question. I also tell my patients if they don't do something about their obesity it will definitely kill them (one way or the other).

Mina,

I think it is great that you are offering this as an option to appropriate patients. I am a nurse and had the same issue you do when I would discuss my surgery with patients, " you arn't that big......" I am 5'8" and when I had surgery I was 268. How is that not that big? I think that obesity has gotten so widespread in our society (no pun intended. haha) that unless you are "superobese" people just don't see it in themselves or in others. Good luck on your journey. I am so glad I had my sleeve. It was the best thing I have ever done for myself. Prior to my surgery people kept asking about the risks of surgery, etc. I could not get them to understand that the risks of the surgery were way smaller than the risks of staying obese.

Exactly. I believe the last risk study I read the risk of death from this surgery was in the 0.5% range. The risk of death from an obesity related complication is way higher.