Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week out, paranoid about sleeve stretching

Like it says, I am 1 week post op (talk about the longest week ever!).

I am just paranoid that I will not do everything right. It is so overwhelming to think about all of the things I need to do (get enough Protein, Water, chew 20-30 times, don't drink during meals, etc) and keep those things up for the rest of my life. I am paranoid about the things that will go wrong. And, most of all, I am paranoid that any little thing that I may do wrong along the way (drink too much Water at a time, or whatever) will eventually make my sleeve stretch and make the surgery totally pointless.

I am totally the kind of person that likes to take care of things and just have them done....like checking something off of a list. Obviously, my weight is not something I can tackle and then throw the issue away...it is something I will always have to work on.

But I am still worried. My dad had gastric bypass 15 years ago and he lost tons of weight but didn't maintain good habits and gained some of the weight back. I am worried that I will slowly but surely take liberties and eat a little more *here* or *there* and do the same like my dad. I can't...I just can't!!!! It absolutely terrifies me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It exhausts me to think that I will have to be so vigilant forever. FOREVER!

I will take any advice, but I am interested in the info from those who have been sleeved for quite a while. Tell me it gets better...or whatever.

Thanks all so much!

weight.png

FIrst off, stop stressing. Secondly, it's not that bad. Now I realize I am only 4 months post-op and probably do things differently than most, I do not count calories, I do not count Protein, or carbs or anything. I listen to my body. I make sure to drink tons of Water. I make sure to eat Protein first always and everything else after that, which there isn't usually any room for anything else anyways. Worrying all the time won't get you anywhere.

You will find as you get to eating foods that you will feel satisfied quickly, which means stop eating. Don't push it til you feel stuffed like we did pre-op. Don't freak over the idea of stretching it. As long as you listen to your body and learn to pay attention to it you will do fine. After awhile you just do it without thinking.

Hi-

first take a deep breath- breath and enjoy life...

now- make your lists... lay out your vits daily or weekly... done...

make a list of meals B-L-D. post on fridge... done...\

the thing I found is some days I can gulp Water, no prob- next day not so good...

so take it slow... while you are rehabilitating, is the time to get organized, clean out cupboards etc.

make your house clean- eating wise.

now plan a time to exercise...

the way it works is how you work the program...

like any program, you have to make the effort.

you are "all in" on this- now that 85% of your stomach is removed... the game is to make sure you become healthier, by following the program.

I have had a coupla speed bumps in my road -3 weeks out... my first move is to get over them... mainly eating... it's a physical problem - I still went out and enjoyed live music tonight and the sunset. now my spoon of cottage cheese and a spoon of yogurt are going to be consumed.

Good Luck!

Thank you SO much! That makes me feel SOOOO much better to know that even 4 months out, you are just living life normally and following your body's signals. The way you do it (like you said in your first paragraph) is exactly how I want to live. Like most naturally skinny people already live.

If you have any other tips, tricks, etc, I am all ears!!

FIrst off, stop stressing. Secondly, it's not that bad. Now I realize I am only 4 months post-op and probably do things differently than most, I do not count calories, I do not count Protein, or carbs or anything. I listen to my body. I make sure to drink tons of Water. I make sure to eat Protein first always and everything else after that, which there isn't usually any room for anything else anyways. Worrying all the time won't get you anywhere.

You will find as you get to eating foods that you will feel satisfied quickly, which means stop eating. Don't push it til you feel stuffed like we did pre-op. Don't freak over the idea of stretching it. As long as you listen to your body and learn to pay attention to it you will do fine. After awhile you just do it without thinking.

I'm not sleeved yet, but I go to bi-monthly support group meetings. There are MANY people there who have had their sleeves for several years. They live like normal people do, rather than being obsessed about food. (Still cannot imagine that...LOL) They are all vigilant about what they eat, but not HYPERvigilant. Protein first, then some veggies. They have learned what they can order off the menu at most restaurants...things like that.

I think right now it seems overwhelming because you're in that "first semester of school" mode, where you look at what it is you have to learn, and it looks like a LONG, overwhelming road ahead. Once you retrain your brain, it won't seem so bad because you'll have a lot more of that necessary knowledge. KWIM?

Good luck!!!

I'm 8 months out of surgery and I am a slow loser, 75 pounds. But I love my sleeve more now than ever. I love being able to eat good healthy foods and feel satisfied, instead of trying to eat healthy than feel starving right after. Relax and let yourself recover, Janine

I was just as paranoid in my first week too. I had to learn to get over that because your stomach will tell you when you have had enough. Just six weeks post-op I had to travel for work and was on the road for three weeks (one trip was two weeks, came home for a few days and had to leave for another week). I felt so lost because I was out of my element, had to eat in restaurants, and didn't have all of the tools I had a home. Needless to say I was a freakin mess. I had to pay close attention to my body when I ate so I knew when to stop. I always ate my Protein first (still do) and made sure to drink a ready-made shake at least once a day. I track everything I eat on both fatsecret.com and myfitnesspal.com. Those really helped to make sure I was getting enough Protein.

When I got home from the first trip, there was no warm and fuzzy homecoming. I ran straight to the bathroom, stipped off all my clothes and stepped on the scale. I had lost 7 pounds in those two weeks. I had stressed over nothing. From that point forward I knew I would be fine.

I am four and a half months post-op and can still only consume what I was consuming at 1 month post-op (1/2 to 3/4 cup). Follow (and stick) to your plan and you will be golden.

I think that the first few weeks we are more prone to worrying about all the details. I was terrified about my stomach ripping open - that was my personal phobia. I reviewed my "what to eat"lists several times a day, just to make sure I was doing the right thing. After the initial 8 weeks of healing and food transition, I started to calm down.

You will find that the no drinking while eating thing is a habit. Once you have it in your head, it wil become part of your routine.

There is no promise that we will not regain the weight we lose. Luckily, this procedure removes the stretchy part of your stomach so it is unlikely to expand past a certain point. That said, you could eat ice cream 4 times a day and gain weight. Take advantage of this time in the first 6 months to really take your new habits to heart. You will have a new taste for healthier foods - that will save you in the long run. As your capacity increases a little, you will be more likely to fill yourself with healthy foods. At 4 months, I still don't like sweets and can't drink alcohol. I tolerate chicken better than beef, so that's what I eat :-) I don't count cals or carbs, but my stomach seems to be happiest when I feed it healthy stuff.

Right now, just worry about staying hydrated and eating your Protein.

Good luck--

I think it's good to think about as a list and you're checking the box off. When you check off each box, you feel good about yourself! Plus the list is right there to remind you. It's really not that tough if you simplify it. My surgeon gave us the acronym of WEPNSS. It is Water, exercise, Protein, nutritional supplements, support group, and I forgot the last! To be honest I just worry about the first four. I do water like I did it in the hospital. I start drinking the first bottle as soon as I wake up and I have to finish it by noon. The second bottle I have to finish by 4. The next one before I go to bed. And it gets easier to get it down every day. I have a ton of Atkins ready to drink shakes in my fridge. They have 15 g of protein. If all I did was drink 4 a day that would be my protein. But I drink one or two. If I eat something it's got protein in it and I don't stress if I hit 60 or 50. Maybe I should but I don't. As far as exercising goes, I do it first thing in the morning. Trust me I hate it!! But I just do it. I can go around the block now. THen I check off my Vitamins too. It's as easy as checking a box and then I feel victorious! I also was freaking about stretching out my stomach with all the water but my surgeon said it won't happen. I think the key is to be sipping on it all day. In some way, the fear of stretching it out is good for me b/c it keeps me being very careful about not eating too much. Now take everything I said with a grain of salt since I'm only 17 days out of surgery myself!!! lol....But I know you are going to do great b/c you clearly care so much and are concerned.