Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for you guys. I bought a 1/2 gallon of milk last night - first time since I've been home from surgery (day #12 now). I'm single, live alone- and never previously a big milk drinker (well I was as a kid). Anyhow, when I do buy milk I have always bought 2%- can't stand the taste of anything else.

When I was comparing labels last night, I noticed very little difference between the non-fat all the way through 2%. At least not enough difference for me to deal with the taste issues.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

When growing up, my parents always had (and still do) whole milk. When I got out on my own, I switched to 2%. However for the last 5 or 6 years I have been drinking skim milk and absolutely love it. In fact, the place I'm currently staying had just 2% milk and I used that for my shake instead of skim and it didn't taste very good to me, so I ended up going out and buying a gallon of milk just for me.

I have found two wonderful options. For those of you who live in central Texas, where there are HEB grocery stores, they have a mile called Mootopia. It is their lactose free milk, but it has 12 grams of Protein a cup and the fat free is fabulous. I don't need the lactose free, but am digging 50% more protein. If you don't have HEB Smart Balance Omega 3 milk, is fat free and tastes like 2%, it has 10 grams of protein a cup (versus 8 in regular milk). Every extra bit of protein helps and it does not taste like fat free.

The main difference I've found with the difference in milk is the lower fat content, the more days you get out of the gallon of milk.

When my husband and I met 5 years ago, he ONLY drank whole milk. Well, we moved in together, he was switched to 2%, 6 months into our marriage (2.5 years into our relationship), he was switched to 1%, and today he drinks Skim milk.

I am slightly lactose intolerant post VSG, so the lower the milk fat, the easier I can tolerate it. I hate all the milk substitutes like almond milk, soy milk all of them make me gag.

And, now that I'm pregnant, full on lactose intolerance is back in full effect. I can still tolerate some yogurt, greek yogurt and low fat cheese, but I'm fairly miserable with full fat milk products.

I just drink what I buy for my family, which is 1%. I intially started drinking it because it had the same WW points as skim milk. Now I just like it. Not too watery, not too think. Regular milk is only 3% anyway.

What do people think of low fat chocolate milk? I also do not like to drink milk - but I love chocolate milk - I am suppose to drink 3 8oz. glasses of milk per day - I am wondering if I could do chocolate?

I wondered the same thing - my surgeon specified nonfat milk when blending Protein shakes post-op. I couldn't help but think to myself - really? I'm getting something like 500 calories a day, and you want to be sure I'm drinking skim milk?? Lucky for me my husband's a stickler (and a worrier) and made me do it. He pointed out it might be harder for me to digest higher fat milk in the first couple of weeks post-op. Better safe than sorry!

I have to admit now, the thinner the Protein shake the easier it is to get down. Everything tastes too rich and too sweet at the moment. I'm pretty darned grateful to be drinking nonfat milk in my shakes. (Damn, I hate it when my husband is right!! )

LOL, too funny.

I haven't been doing any of the Protein shakes- just can't stand any of them and so I was looking to other things to provide Protein sources and such. Plus I kind of had a craving for milk for some reason and I'm not typically a big milk drinker.

I wondered the same thing - my surgeon specified nonfat milk when blending Protein shakes post-op. I couldn't help but think to myself - really? I'm getting something like 500 calories a day, and you want to be sure I'm drinking skim milk?? Lucky for me my husband's a stickler (and a worrier) and made me do it. He pointed out it might be harder for me to digest higher fat milk in the first couple of weeks post-op. Better safe than sorry!

I have to admit now, the thinner the protein shake the easier it is to get down. Everything tastes too rich and too sweet at the moment. I'm pretty darned grateful to be drinking nonfat milk in my shakes. (Damn, I hate it when my husband is right!! )

The less fat the better but I can't drink regular milk now, not even skim. I now drink the non fat lactaid which is really good but a little sweet.

You can try Skim plus which is so amazing. Can't even tell it is skim milk.

I don't drink chocolate milk for fear of the sugar and have tried the Hershey sugar free Syrup (yuck) instead to get my choc fix I drink a Protein shake. GNC wheybolic extreme is really good. it has 60g of Protein in a 20oz container. I try and spit it over the course of the day for Snacks or save the remainder for each day dumping it if i am not finished by day 3.

Good luck!

Dawn