Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I hate to sound like I'm whining, because I really am happy I'm approved for surgery on July 12th, but since I've been with my surgeon through a lap band and now scheduled for a revision to the sleeve, I'm finding I'm angry. My surgeon orders everyone, band and sleeves, be on Clear liquids not only for 2 weeks before but 4 weeks after surgery. As you know that's 6 weeks. I was wondering if anyone else has such a strict doctor? When I read others have only 1 week of Clear Liquids and 1 week of full liquids, I get angry. I'm just hoping that after the surgery I won't want to eat and it will be fine. I know one reason my lap band failed was because I didn't always follow the rules, so I'm trying to be so good.

I'm currently in my 2 weeks pre-op liquid diet and I'm finding it hard, very hard. I even failed a couple of times, really bad. I find that if I even take 1 bite of something not on the list, I end up eating like crazy. Just want to know what are others pre and post opt diet like?

Thanks,

lovcali

I'm amazed at how differently every dr approaches this! My dr only requires liquids (not clear) one day...the day before surgery. Clear Liquids are only while in the hospital, which should only be the day after surgery. From the time I get home, I am on full liquids (not clear) for 1 week. Then pureed for a week, then mushies, and then soft meats.

Your dr is the strictest I've heard, and seems awfully excessive imho.

The four weeks after is his insurance to make sure your stomach heals properly. It's a little long, but if you ask him I bet he has a VERY good rationale for it. Mine was that way for my band, but they've since updated it. Pre-op diet is two weeks of two shakes a day and a SMALL meal, post-op is a week of clears, three weeks of full liquids, then two months of mushies. Mine doesn't even allow things like chicken or beef for six months. (Man I hope I will not miss my few bites of steak like I think I will!!!)

Take heart...it's going to be HARD, but you can do it.

Welcome to the forums. We will be sleeved the same day. It is frustrating that each doctor has different "standards" when it comes to the diet, but it is what they recommend for their practice to help ensure that you will go through the surgery with the least amount of complications and heal appropriately.

The 2 weeks before is typically to help shrink the fatty deposits around the liver so that it reduces the chances of the liver getting nicked during surgery which would not be a good thing. Yes, it is tough sticking with the pre-op diet, but you really need to try to stick to it as much as possible.

After surgery I hear it is a bit easier due to the swelling and your stomach not tolerating much. It is very important to focus on getting liquids and Protein so you can heal properly.

Also, do not compare yourself to others. Everyone heals differently and goes through the process differently.

I didn't have the 2 week liquid before, but had to do low carb/high Protein for a week before surgery because this method has shown to be effective to shrink the slippery/slimy fat on the liver.

As for post-op, our program is 2 weeks clears, 2 weeks fulls, 2 weeks mushies/purees, and then add in solids as tolerated. I was able to advance to mushies 1 week early only because I had complications that kept me from eating or drinking anything for over 20 days so by the time I was allowed to eat or drink anything I was over a month out already. Then, I stayed on mushies/purees/soft solids for 3 months only because solids were not tolerated very well and I couldn't eat enough Protein via solid foods. I could not use protein drinks/shakes so getting protein from food was essential for my recovery.

The 2-4 week liquids is pretty standard among sleeve surgeons. I've only read a handful of patients being progressed past full liquids before 2 weeks out. I obviously couldn't have eaten mushies any sooner than what my surgeon prescribed. I'm a firm believer that I trusted this man to remove the majority of a major organ, I should probably trust him on what to put inside there for the best possible outcome. It does suck, but it's so worth it. And, remember, it's only temporary.

I was on liquids 3 weeks before and 2 weeks afterwards... pretty close to what your doctor has instructed. The 3 week diet before surgery is hard but gets you off to a great start. I lost more weight in the 3 wk liquid diet before surgery than I did at 2 months post op! Honestly use this time to get your journey started, the weightloss with the sleeve is gradual! and isn't a miracle. (Don't get me wrong it works and you lose weight, but you will lose more weight in these first 3 weeks if you stick to the rules than you will with the sleeve, once you can eat again.. believe me!!)

Did your doctor explain that the strict diet shrinks your liver and makes your surgery easier to perform and can lead to less complications?? Which is a very good thing to do!! Try to trust your doctor they don't do 7 years at university to make our lives hell... (well we hope not anyway!! lol). I might have just been lucky but I had a great recovery, I have never once vomitted or even felt sick.. maybe because I was on liquids for longer than some maybe my stomach had more time to heal...?? I dunno (I'm not a doctor he,he)..

Trust that at the moment, the liquid diet is hell, but this hell ends once you have had surgery.. Instantly the hunger is gone and the obsession with food fades.. the diet afterwards is easy! Just get yourself through the next few weeks! You can do it!!! :)

Best wishes for your surgery, speedy recovery and awesome weight-loss!!!!! :)

I also have what many consider to be a "strict" doctor. However, I also know that his patients have very few complications after surgery. I wouldn't so much label him strict as "cautious." I picked him and I am NOT going to second guess his decisions. I followed his directives to a T and had NO complications at all.

I didn't have to do the liquid diet, but did have a VERY strict Dr. I am glad that I did (do)!! He is very NO NONSENSE and expects you to follow his rules. This is a VERY SERIOUS surgery and you should do what they say!! You could have serious complications if you don't!!

He gave me a low carb, low fat, high Protein diet to follow and advised me to do it...didn't say I HAD TO, but advised me to and to lose 25lbs. I could not come to see him until I did. AND would not be given a surgery date until I did!!

That motivated me!! I lost 55!! :)

If you have a Dr. that is strict be glad! At least you know you have one that is not going to operate on just anyone to make money! That should make you feel good! At least you know he cares!

I'm glad mine is the way he is and have told him so many times!

Kelly

Thank you all for your words of encouragement, it helps so much. You're all right, it's best to stick to what the doctor orders, he knows what he's doing. I have an appt tomorrow with him, 1 week pre-op, I hope all goes well and the doctor doesn't put the breaks on everything....good luck to everyone.

Wow I did not have to have liquids only at all....I was asked to drop 10-20 pounds than liquid only for 2 days prior to surgery but due to the 4th of July holiday I opted to do the Magnesium Citrate liquid YUCK at about 1pm the day prior to surgery....I am 5 days post op I did have some complications totally NOT related and had to stay in the hospital 2 days:~( However I am not liking any of the Protein shakes or buillions, or drinks they have a very fake taste I am counting the days where I can have some cottage cheese:~)

I continue to have great support and write down my h20 consumption as well as my protein...I really think that each and every office and hospital must have a person who has done this and has walked this walk....NOTHING tastes as good as skinny feels so I am buckling down and I will do this:~)

Cheers to you and thanks for venting I would be rather perplexed and challenged at those wishes my self!

Did we have the same surgeon? Mine additionaly told me that he would be able to tell if I cheated so if he went in and saw a fatty liver, he would close me up and I would have to start diet over again. Torture, that is what the preop diet is to us commoners. But, the diet pre and post op helped me ensure a safe surgery and a complete healing. Additionaly, what a way to kick off the weight loss.

You can do this. The sleeve is amazing.

I had to do one day of clear liquids before surgery, one day of clear liquids after surgery, one week of full liquids, three weeks of pureed, then move on to solids at week 5.