Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would CPAP give you gas pains after surgery?

Sometimes my CPAP gives me gas pains after I wake up. I tend to swallow too much air when I sleep and I wake up burping and passing gas for sometimes as long as an hour after I wake up. It doesnt happen every day, I guess it just depends on how I sleep. My CPAP does not have an option to change it's settings. But my sleep apnea doc just said this was normal for some people and to take gas-x if it was bothering me too much. I've learned to live with it for over 2 years now, but now that I"m going to have my WLS -VSG done later this month, now I'm worried it could really be painful after surgery. I told my surgen and he advised I may not want to use it right after surgery because my stomach may be sensitive. I wonder if I'll ever want to use that stupid CPAP machine after my surgery. I am hoping after I start to loose weight, my sleep apnea will not be that bad and I wont need it anymore.

I've always hated that machine, I mean really, you do not look sexy with that scuba mask on your face at night. I'm so self consious about it, and it's a big secret I dont tell anyone I have sleep apnea. But I've used it every night and I'm so used to it now, I dont know if it's going to be an easy transition to stop using it from one day to the next.

Anyone having a similar issue with their CPAP?

I use an APAP because the constant pressure from a CPAP made me feel like I was drowning. I also noticed that I have a lot less of a problem with gas with the APAP (could be in my head). LOL. But yes, there are some nights I can tell I pulled air into my tummy instead of my lungs and I'm bloated, but those days are farther and father apart.

I won't like. I'm looking forward to a new sleep study in six months and hopefully being free of the machine. I don't mind it as much these days because it DOES help me getting a better night's sleep, but I also won't mind chucking it ;)

One of primary goals of this surgery is to get rid of my CPAP. I still need it to get a good night's sleep, but not nearly as bad as before. However, my PCP told me not to stop using it until I had a sleep study done. The lack of oxygen at night has so many ill effects on the body other than just not sleeping well. So keep using until you get the go-ahead to leave it in the past. K

PS I have never had the problem of swallowing air at night. Sounds like a very uncomfortable problem!!

I was thinking more about this.. have you tried the nasal pillows? That might help with the air swallowing. I use those and notice I do better with them than that freaking mask.

I have not tried nasal pillows, I think I'll try that. Thank's for that tip! I didn't think I needed to go get another sleep study done, but now I am realizing I should go back. I will also ask about the APAP. Thanks so much for your input!

I have not tried nasal pillows, I think I'll try that. Thank's for that tip! I didn't think I needed to go get another sleep study done, but now I am realizing I should go back. I will also ask about the APAP. Thanks so much for your input!

I really do prefer the pillows. You might still take air into your tummy, but I find I do MUCH better with it. You have to breathe only through your nose. It's an adjustment, but it only took me a couple of nights.

I ended up keeping the APAP because it was either that or nothing. Lincare, who does my supplies, came and swapped back out the CPAP. It was making me completely miserable. Hats off to those of you that can do it!

I breathe through both my mouth and nose when I sleep (mostly my mouth.) I also can't tolerate a normal full-face mask because the bridge of my nose is a big bump (genetics and a couple breaks when I was a kid) and the full face masks were wearing the skin off it big time - hurt like a b**ch. So I have the Resmed Liberty mask, which has part that covers just your mouth and then has nasal pillows to handle the nose part. I find I don't swallow air this way, nor do I get chipmunk cheeks or any of the rest of the complaints you see with full-face masks - I don't even have leaks very often. Maybe trying this mask would help?

Just thought I'd toss in my two cents here. I'm really new to CPAP, and I was pretty darned miffed when I had to go through two sleep studies and ended up with one just a week before surgery. I really don't have any symptoms of sleep apnea. My husband has severe apnea, so we're both pretty familiar with the symptoms. I figured at most I had a very mild case, and what a @$#YYQ$# waste of money since it will most likely resolve in the next few months as I lose weight. Can you say GRUMPY????

Then, my first evening in the hospital post-op I was pretty miserable with dry mouth and throat. I kept my husband pretty busy spooning ice chips into me since that was all I could have until the next day. All of a sudden it hit me that I had a CPAP, with a HUMIDIFIER!!! If I'd felt better I would have been up doing a happy dance. It definitely wasn't fun using it in the hospital, but I was pretty darned grateful for it that first night. Don't ditch it just yet. :P

I didn't want a CPAP and refused to even talk with the doctor to get my sleep study results until I started thinking about weight loss surgery. I knew my insurance company would require me to be compliant before they would give their approval. I used the nasal pillow and never had problems with air in my stomach. Even still, it took a couple of months for me to get used to it. I did sleep much better, but still couldn't wait for the day I wouldn't need it any longer. I'm 6 months out from surgery and haven't used my CPAP for 3 months. As I lost weight, I found the pressure setting was too high. I spoke with the doctor and she lowered the level, but it wasn't enough. It still felt like it was blasting air into my sinuses all the time. I decided to try sleeping without it and discovered I didn't snore any more and slept through the night. I sometimes wake a couple of times during the night to roll over, but go right back to sleep and I feel very rested. It was a great day when I could pack away the CPAP!:D

I had the exact same thing happening once I had lost a little weight. I was swallowing air and it was so uncomfortable in the morning. My pressure was originally set at 11 and I was going to call the medical supply company to have someone come out and adjust it but the great folks on this forum suggested I look up my model CPAP and you can find out how to adjust your pressure.

My pressure is now set to 8 and I do not swallow anymore air and seem to be sleeping better than before for sure. I am not sure why your doctor said that is ok for you to swallow air, the machine shouldn't make you uncomfortable.