Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mushy stage and struggling

So according to my docs plan on day 8 we can start mushies- basically anything that can easily be "mushed" by a fork. I have no complaints that I am never hungry mind you. I have eaten some Soup (chicken noodle), cottage cheese, apple sauce, Jello, think sliced cheese and its all stayed down and I'm really only eating probably 2 bites at a time and then it feels sort of stuck there for some time. They are small bites, chewed and eaten slowly. It took me 30 minutes just to eat one of those pre-packaged containers of applesauce today. I'm able to drink more and more fluids each day- mostly crystal lite or sugar free kool-aid (yummy!!!)

I can't handle the Protein shakes, they just don't agree with me. I'm not freaking out about this- but it seems like I've read others who have had similar experiences and I couldn't remember how long it took for it to go away. I know I need to eat if for no other reason to get some Protein in- but at the same time I don't want to force things and risk the healing of my stomach.

Does anyone have any advice/ thoughts to share?

Everyone heals at different rates. I was much like you. You're doing the right thing, listening to your body. You don't want to force anything. It takes a while for the swelling on the inside to go away, so give it time.

In the beginning, I worried too about not getting in enough Protein, so I used Protein Shots. Granted it's not the same quality Protein as most shakes, but at least I could get 2.9 oz. down vs. a regular protein shake, and each one has 26g of protein. You may want to give those a try until you can take more in.

I was in the same boat as you until about 5 weeks out.. I would try and eat thick or solid stuff even chewed to liquid and it just felt stuck!! I was so discouraged and felt defeated!!

My first meal on mushies, I made chicken salad with canned chicken and it was stuck in my throat for 3 hours!! I was so upset. Then I tried and egg, same thing. Then cottage cheese, same thing! I thought I would never eat again! I was forced to drink Slim Fast Low Carb for a few weeks to get calories in because I couldn't get any nutrients from food and I HATE Protein drinks! I finally have found one that I can handle, but then I couldn't!!

Then about week 5 or so, it is like the swelling left. I tried some salmon and it just went down fine. I ate tri-tip the next day and it was fine, an egg, no problem! Some just take a longer time than others. I never had an issue with liquids, just solids. You will get there too! Just be patient. Get some Wendy's chili. That works well and is satisfying. Creamed Soups, Foster Farms meatballs with some gravy pureed are sooo good too!

Patients my friend. Once a week try something thicker and see how it goes, if not, go back and then try it next week!

Good luck!

Kelly ;)

Thank you for sharing your experience. I can't stand Protein shakes too and I'm tired of buying something only to hate that too. I can't consume enough "food" items to make it worthwhile to add non-flavored Protein to it. I have a pretty active lifestyle and so I'm not all that worried about loosing muscle mass. I have a small hobby farm that I take care of on my own and maintenance and animal needs don't stop just because I had surgery. I have it set up where I'm able to stay within my weight restrictions for the next few weeks- so that isn't an issue.

I'm curious if the weight loss on your ticker is from the start of your surgery or if any of that is pre-op. I'm just wondering if basically having to stay on mostly liquids for 5 weeks was the major contributor to that. I've lost 27# in 10 days and although I have no complaints it seems excessively high to me. Again, no complaints- just wondering.

Never mind- I just noticed your HW in your signature- sorry, should have ready more carefully- I just zoomed in on your weight loss on the ticker. Still awesome results though!

Thanks for your post.

I was in the same boat as you until about 5 weeks out.. I would try and eat thick or solid stuff even chewed to liquid and it just felt stuck!! I was so discouraged and felt defeated!!

My first meal on mushies, I made chicken salad with canned chicken and it was stuck in my throat for 3 hours!! I was so upset. Then I tried and egg, same thing. Then cottage cheese, same thing! I thought I would never eat again! I was forced to drink Slim Fast Low Carb for a few weeks to get calories in because I couldn't get any nutrients from food and I HATE protein drinks! I finally have found one that I can handle, but then I couldn't!!

Then about week 5 or so, it is like the swelling left. I tried some salmon and it just went down fine. I ate tri-tip the next day and it was fine, an egg, no problem! Some just take a longer time than others. I never had an issue with liquids, just solids. You will get there too! Just be patient. Get some Wendy's chili. That works well and is satisfying. Creamed Soups, Foster Farms meatballs with some gravy pureed are sooo good too!

Patients my friend. Once a week try something thicker and see how it goes, if not, go back and then try it next week!

Good luck!

Kelly ;)

Edited by former_vbg

I had my surgery 5/9/11, so 8 weeks ago tomorrow. I lost 55lbs pre-op and have lost 30 lbs since surgery. :D

I did have a 2 week stall and lost NOTHING, but contribute that to not eating enough calories. Hence, the Slim Fast and Carnation Instant Breakfast I was drinking.

That non-flavored Protein makes me GAG!! I can not stand it!! The only Protein Drink or mixes I can tolerate are GNC Whebolic Extreme 60 chocolate and Pure Protein vanilla mix and the ready to drink strawberry Cream (it is soooo yummy)!!

Kelly

Thank you for sharing your experience. I can't stand Protein shakes too and I'm tired of buying something only to hate that too. I can't consume enough "food" items to make it worthwhile to add non-flavored protein to it. I have a pretty active lifestyle and so I'm not all that worried about loosing muscle mass. I have a small hobby farm that I take care of on my own and maintenance and animal needs don't stop just because I had surgery. I have it set up where I'm able to stay within my weight restrictions for the next few weeks- so that isn't an issue.

I'm curious if the weight loss on your ticker is from the start of your surgery or if any of that is pre-op. I'm just wondering if basically having to stay on mostly liquids for 5 weeks was the major contributor to that. I've lost 27# in 10 days and although I have no complaints it seems excessively high to me. Again, no complaints- just wondering.

Thanks for your post.

Hey...My Dr's plan says 2 weeks before creamy/puree food like applesauce, and 4 weeks until soft solid food like cheese and scrambled eggs. I'm not sure where mushy would fall into that but 8 days for me is still smack in the middle of liquids only.

So my advice is take it slow :) Stick to liquids until it's more comfortable.