Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, so I am currently going through all the pre-op hoops and am looking at a tenative surgery date of the second week of September. I do have a couple of questions, if you guys don't mind.

1. I have heard differing opinions on whether stretching of the sleeve is possible or not. Some say no, others say yes. Can you or can't you stretch it out after surgery? I am not really a big snacker, My 3 meals a day are just too big, and not always the best choices. With that being said, obviously I got this way by eating too much and by basically stopping all of the exercise I used to do, and that was a big one for me. I have to keep exercising, that is what is really going to make it or break it. I worry though about over eating of course, how will I not make the same mistakes again? I have lost and gained hundreds of pounds over the years by over eating, will this help me?

2. Also, I am very willing to follow the meal plan, Proteins, veggies and then carbs if there is room left, but honestly, why can't we eat what we want since we are only eating smaller portions of it? I mean, I am not going to graze on a Whopper and fries all day just cuz I can, but If I can only eat like 2 bites of it, why won't I still loose? I mean, isn't that the key to normal eating? I was always told to try and get into the habit of having a little bit of the things I want to eat, but just not go crazy on it, because we all know what happens when you deprive yourself, right? Skinny people eat like I do, they just eat less, so won't I loose weight as long as I am cutting back my portions and following Portion Control?

3. I worry, because they always say you have to eat a certain amount of calories or your body will go in starvation mode and hold on to all your fat which makes you not loose weight. I am hearing stories on here about people only eating 600 calories a day. I want, no I need this to work for me, I cannot fail again, I refuse to be fat for one more minute than I have to. I know it works for some people, but could this happen? I mean I have tried portion control and slim fast and everything, else, is it easier to loose weight with this? I mean I can follow a diet to a T, but it is hard to when you feel like your starving, I am hoping this will help to curb the hunger for me to make me stick with it.

4. On last thing, and this is related to number 1 I guess, Why can't you sip a little when you eat? I have to drink when I eat, does it really stretch your pouch to have a sip or two of Water with your food? ?

I am so thankful to this site, I have been lurking for so long, and I just really would like to hear from people who have been there. Thanks so much!!!

Hi there! I am in the pre-hoop process too. I am hoping to have my sleeve done in October! Very good questions, as I have the same ones! Can't wait to see the responses! :) Good luck in your adventure!

1. The sleeve can stretch, however, it could not stretch enough to be as big as your original stomach was. The stretchier part of the stomach is what is removed, however, there is still a little room for stretching. In theory, you start out being able to eat very tiny amounts and in about 18 months to a year you are eating a more 'normal' amount (normal for non overweight people, not your pre-normal).

2. You could eat whatever you want for the reason you said, however, the main thing you want to concentrate is getting enough Protein and proper nutrition because you can eat so little. Anytime there is rapid weight loss there is danger of losing muscle mass, the emphasis on protein is so that you are able to keep as much of it as possible. I do not believe you have to deprive yourself of anything, just be aware of what foods you find you can eat too easily (I discovered I could eat an awful large amount of lifesavers, for example), someone had given me a bag of them and there I was munching away like my old self. I will avoid them now. Same would go for something like potato chips, you don't want to get into this mindset that, well, I was able to eat that little bag of chips, but I still need my protein and I am not full from them so I will have some protein now, no harm done. However, this could get out of control and you might find yourself having more 'slider' foods than are good for you. I think it is important to write down everything you eat (at least initially) and really look at your numbers as far as fat, calories, carbs, sugars, Iron, Vitamins, etc. Look for patterns and see if you are doing too much fat, not enough protein, etc. If you ate nothing but junk food or food that was not nutritionally dense but kept your intake to (for example) 600 calories, yes, you will lose weight, however, you might not be feeling or looking your best and you might be losing some muscle mass. In other words, eventually, you will not be doing so well, even if you are skinny. So emphasize nutrition, but do have your occasional indulgence (a taste or a bite) of something you really want.

3. I am actually looking at different 'diets' and trying to decide which diet is the best for me. Yes, with the sleeve, it is soooo much easier to 'diet'. You don't feel that massive hunger, and the times I have said "hmm, I'll get a small kid's hamburger or a bean burrito", I have found that after three bites, I really am done and you know how when you first want something, the first bite tastes really good, and they get progressively not as good as you get fuller? This happens only about 20 times faster than it would have in the presleeve days. I think for my particular health issues (metabolic syndrome, diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol) I am going to try to stick to the DASH diet.

4. You can sip a little bit of a drink, or at least, I have been able to. I know there are some who are very sensitive to that and cannot eat/drink at all. The main reason you don't want to drink with your meal is that it will either push the food down or maybe overfill and make you feel like vomiting. I really don't think a sip of two will make much difference, it doesn't to me, but your mileage may vary.

Griselda, thank you so much for all the information, it was a really big help!! I feel so much better about everything, thank you very much!!

I totally see now why they tell you to get your Protein in first, because I definately want to be a healthy skinny, plus I know the protein is so important for your body. I just wanted to make sure I could indulge a bite or two of some of my favorite things once in a while. I will say, I did LA Weightloss back in 2002, their plan was basically 3 servings of Fruits, 3 servings of Veggies, 2 servings of protein, and 1 serving of a carb and fat a day plus some dairy, but I forget how much. (it might have been 2 carbs, but I am not positive, it's been a while). I did feel absolutely great and I lost a lot of weight fast. I even realized back then, that when I would indulge in a treat once in a while, I would enjoy it so much more! I mean I would get a candy bar like once a month, and that would be my monthly treat (yes back then I was so disciplined), and let me tell you, it was like the best thing I had ever eaten, now I guess since I indulge in way too much junk, I feel like I am used to it and it doesn't even taste that great! Who knew, YET, I can't stop eating it.

I am glad you said I could take a few small sips of something during a meal, I have a really hard time not drinking and eating togther. I am trying to at least start now by cutting back on it and really trying to drink less with my meal.

I am really looking forward to my sleeve, I am looking forward to eating portions that are normal sized again, looking forward to enjoying my food more and not feeling so guilty about eating, because I know when I am eating, I am eating way too much, yet I can't stop myself. Looking forward to not being so food obsessed, to live like a normal person some day. Looking forward to this time loosing the weight and keeping it off!

I love you guys!

Oh yeah, Saints92, Good luck on your journey too, and keep me informed of how you are doing! I know for me I am scared to death of the operation and mostly the anesthesia. I work in a hospital in the ICU, so I should be more settled by all this, but anesthesia worries me the most out of all this, why I don't know. I mean I have been at my job for 2 years, and have never had any of our patients have a problem with any of their surgeries, so why I have such anxiety, IDK. I guess it's just the fear of the unknown, I am gonna be 34 in 2 weeks, and have never had a surgery before. Not scared of the proceedure, I have a surgeon I feel very comfortable with but just scared of "going under" lol.

Ok, so I am currently going through all the pre-op hoops and am looking at a tenative surgery date of the second week of September. I do have a couple of questions, if you guys don't mind.

1. I have heard differing opinions on whether stretching of the sleeve is possible or not. Some say no, others say yes. Can you or can't you stretch it out after surgery? I am not really a big snacker, My 3 meals a day are just too big, and not always the best choices. With that being said, obviously I got this way by eating too much and by basically stopping all of the exercise I used to do, and that was a big one for me. I have to keep exercising, that is what is really going to make it or break it. I worry though about over eating of course, how will I not make the same mistakes again? I have lost and gained hundreds of pounds over the years by over eating, will this help me?

My dr says it is not possible to stretch your sleeve because the stretchy part is what's removed. It may relax enough to allow you to eat up to 2 oz more, but definitely not enough to be detrimental. I eat 3 meals a day (about 4-5 oz of food) and 1 or 2 Snacks. Believe me...you'll overeat once or twice and get the hang of "full" REALLY quickly! It isn't a mistake you will make over and over, trust me. I've lost about 55 lbs in the last 4 months and I have NO doubt that I will get the rest of the weight off....that's the first time I've ever been able to say that for SURE!

2. Also, I am very willing to follow the meal plan, Proteins, veggies and then carbs if there is room left, but honestly, why can't we eat what we want since we are only eating smaller portions of it? I mean, I am not going to graze on a Whopper and fries all day just cuz I can, but If I can only eat like 2 bites of it, why won't I still loose? I mean, isn't that the key to normal eating? I was always told to try and get into the habit of having a little bit of the things I want to eat, but just not go crazy on it, because we all know what happens when you deprive yourself, right? Skinny people eat like I do, they just eat less, so won't I loose weight as long as I am cutting back my portions and following Portion Control?

I would suggest reading "Why we get fat and what to do about it". It's a great book about why our bodies work best with a high Protein diet. It really isn't about calories in, calories out. It's about training our bodies to use glucose for energy instead of storing it as fat.

3. I worry, because they always say you have to eat a certain amount of calories or your body will go in starvation mode and hold on to all your fat which makes you not loose weight. I am hearing stories on here about people only eating 600 calories a day. I want, no I need this to work for me, I cannot fail again, I refuse to be fat for one more minute than I have to. I know it works for some people, but could this happen? I mean I have tried portion control and slim fast and everything, else, is it easier to loose weight with this? I mean I can follow a diet to a T, but it is hard to when you feel like your starving, I am hoping this will help to curb the hunger for me to make me stick with it.

I eat 1000-1200 calories a day and in the WLS world I guess I'd be considered a pig! BUT, I refuse to starve my body to become thin. It's never worked long term for me. I focus more on WHAT I'm putting in my body. Protein first (meat, cheese, legumes, shakes) then veggies and fruits, then healthy carbs. My sleeve just makes it SOOOOO much easier to choose the healthy foods! I've also never felt better in my life, even when I was thin in my younger years, I didn't have this much energy or zest for life! I give credit to my Vitamins and the healthy foods I'm using to fuel my body for still being so far from my goal weight, but feeling better than I did at 130 lbs in my 20's!!

4. On last thing, and this is related to number 1 I guess, Why can't you sip a little when you eat? I have to drink when I eat, does it really stretch your pouch to have a sip or two of Water with your food? ?

My dr said not to drink while eating because it will HURT, not because it will stretch my sleeve. I do take a little sip if what I'm eating is dry, but definitely not a real "swallow". After the weeks of liquids, then mushies, then finally "real" food....you'll be in the habit of not drinking with your meals. And if you happen to forget and do take a "swallow", you will be reminded quickly that your new tiny tummy can't hold food and liquids!! LOL! Hope this helps! Congrats on looking at the sleeve for your wls choice! It was the BEST decision I've ever made!!

I am so thankful to this site, I have been lurking for so long, and I just really would like to hear from people who have been there. Thanks so much!!!

I am three months post-op. I can now eat about 1/2 cup at each meal. I don't feel any hunger per say, but I do know when its time for me to eat. I eat three meals a day plus 3 Snacks. I average about 70 grams of Protein and about 700 calories per day. Trust me, its a struggle to get this food in. Prior to surgery I would not have believed that.

Again, since you are eating so little its important that what you do eat is of the highest nutritional value. I have decided that some foods like bread and rolls just aren't worth even looking at. I went to McDonalds a couple of weeks ago and ordered a small cheeseburger meal. I threw away the bun and ate the meat, cheese, pickle, onion and ketchup. It tasted good but I was stuffed at the end of it. I can watch other people eat a lot of food and it doesnt bother me too much. I don't necessarily want what they are having. That being said, I do allow myself to have a single bit of something that I particularly liked in the past. I have tried pineapple cake, brownies, taco chips w/dip, popcorn, and a cookie. The weird thing is that I was fine after the one taste. I was glad I tried it but had no desire to have more. This is very strange for me and a welcome change!!

It's hard for me to explain. I don't feel hunger in the way I used to. However, if its been several hours since I have eaten anything I do start feeling something. Once I eat my 1/2 cup I am totally satisfied and I don't go looking for more food later. Again, so different that I was pre-surgery. Then after dinner I would start looking around for what else could I eat. That desire to search out food is totally gone.

4. On last thing, and this is related to number 1 I guess, Why can't you sip a little when you eat? I have to drink when I eat, does it really stretch your pouch to have a sip or two of Water with your food??

I am with the previous poster on this one. Eating while drinking HURTS and you learn to stop doing it really quickly. My doctor said to stop drinking 15 minutes prior to meals and not to drink until 30 minutes after. I have found that I can drink right up to the time I start eating, but I usually wait at least an hour after a meal or snack to drink again. I used to LOVE super cold water but now need to drink room temp water. Getting in the 64 ounces of water per day is the hardest part for me. Lots of days I don't make it.

I hope this helps. I have had ZERO complications after surgery. I struggle with some foods I have tried like oranges and dense protein (dry chicken, steak). The food just feels like its sitting there and not digesting. I feel a painful lump in my stomach that takes a long while to go away. I feel best about 2 hours after a meal when I haven't had anything to drink! That being said, I am very happy I had the sleeve. I feel like my addiction to food is over and I will lose weight until I am a normal size. I have to do my part of eating and exercising regularly, but it is SO DIFFERENT than when I was on other "diets" previously.

All the best in your journey!

Marie

My surgery isn't until July 29, but I can tell you what my dr said about sipping....

Wait 10 minutes before eating after drinking and then after eating do not drink for an hour...

The reasoning (in addition to hurting): When you have liquids in your stomach, it triggers the muscle at the bottom to open and start letting the liquid out of the stomach and proceed in it's normal pattern. When this happens, food may escape also which allows you to eat more and not feel as full as fast or for as long as if you would if you didn't have liquid with meal. They even suggest that when you have Soup to drink of liquid, wait 10 minutes and then finish contents of soup. This concept is not just for those having surgery but is suggested for those not even having surgery... helps them lose weight by keeping the food in their stomach longer and therefore not eating more or eating more often. HTH :)