Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Month Supervised Dieters

You know, I am sure there is quite a few of us going through this process right now. Yet, I have not communicated with more than a couple in the last four months! How are my fellow 6MPSWL pre-op friends doing? Any comments? Vents? Things that are working for you right now? I am going to be going into my fifth month starting July 1st, and I am super excited! That means only 1 month left after that.

However, it hasn't been easy at all. I have been stalled for the last month, and cutting out carbs has been a.... trial. I have slowly start incorporating exercise, but I am not the best at it. But I also have started a Vitamin regimen and that has been really helpful in making me feel better throughout the day.

Hello,

It's nice to know I am not the only one here that has the 6 months of supervised diet. It seems like everyone else has a 3 month obligation or less. I am one month behind you. I am doing well, I actually talk to the NUT on the phone for appts about twice a month. She is based in Alabama and I live in Washington. I also have a nurse that calls about once a month that checks on me too. I don't have any co morbidities so our conversations are pretty short. I am slowly losing weight about 11lbs so far. I am working on getting the exercise in too. I am on my feet a lot for work by the time I get home exercise is the last thing I want to do. A good friend of mine is a personal trainer she says she will show me some exercises to get started.

Good luck to you.

Oh, wow, that is awesome! I know what you mean about everyone seeming to have a 3 month or less PSWL. I always feel like I going the longest route, but I do think it has been sort of invaluable to me for learning more about why I want THIS particular surgery, how I can work it to its utmost potential, and finding support before and after surgery.

Also, 11 lbs is nothing to scoff at, a loss is a loss and 5 months in I've only lost 15 lbs.

Thanks, good luck to you too!

I am on month 2 of my six months - hoping to finish in mid November, with surgery after the first of the year if all goes well. I am struggling more this month with writing things down religiously, getting all of the Water and Vitamins in (I am taking about 12 different supplements at the moment). I am just trying to look at every day as a fresh start and that I am actively working towards taking better care of myself. I started eating more low carb/more Protein a couple of weeks prior to my first WL appt (may 1st) - to date I am about 21 lbs down - lost a ton at first and now that the Water weight is gone the losses are much slower.

I also just finished my second sleep study last night - the first night was traumatic being wired up with all of that stuff, the paste in your hair and then trying to sleep. They called and had me back last night - the apnea was not great (I stopped breathing 170 times in 5 hours yikes) so I spent last night with my first cpap - I don't think I have had such a good nights sleep in decades - even with all of the wires :) The technologist talked to me about the connection between gaining weight and apnea, and gave me a book to read about it all - I have the appt, to discuss the test results in a few weeks - I feel oddly inspired with the diagnosis of the sleep apnea...like wow, finally something that will make me feel better immediately - getting air in my lungs lol :)

I have my 2nd check in in three weeks - so I will be minding my P's and Q's...I need to get my butt off the couch and do some Wii fit.

Hello. I'm one month 4 of the 6 month diet. It has not been easy for me. I love chocolate but I'm not doing too bad. I do exercise regularly but the head hunger is what I'm trying to get in check before surgery.The only good thing I can say is the time as flown and I've learned a lot while waiting. Im hoping to be sleeved in mid to late september if I go ahead and get all of the other test completed this month. I dont have any co-morbidities so I'm getting sleeved based on my BMI alone which has to be 50 to approved by my insurance company which my BMI is 50 exactly, well was 50 when I started seeing my PCP for the supervised diets which is what I think the insurance goes by when they approve you.

Wishes I wish you a ton of sucess and and keep us posted. I'm one month behind you so I'm going to need someone to mimic after when it gets becomes my turn. I wish everyone else good luck as well and try to keep busy to make the time fly by.

Howdy I too am going on my 4th month of "supervised diet". I have been trying to eat as I will have to after my sleeve so I can really see if this is going to work for me. I hope to have my sleeve late September or October. What were we thinking planning WLS before Thanksgiving and Christmas????? I know we will be past the liquids and soft stuff by then but we will still have to be careful so we don't stretch are "NEW" stomaches too much. I am looking forward to the challenge. I just can't get motivated to excercise. I have a treadmill but a day at work just drains me especially if I don't get enough Protein. Not excerising contributed to the weight i am trying to lose now. I have to get motivated to move. I have heard the WII or KINETIC are good tools as excerise is more of a game than a chore. Does anyone know if that is true???? I may have to get one but then Lovey (the husband) will be playing war games and I will never be able to get the exercise done. I am glad to have fellow "Almost a Sleevers" to visit with. This forum is a great place. Thanks neighbors!!!!!!

@Chimera: You really make me wonder if I have sleep apnea and just haven't been tested for it. I wake up throughout the night multiple times a night without a reason and what I wouldn't give for continuous sleep. Can you recommend the book she gave you? I would love to have a read through it.

@Shea: Aw, I am so sorry, but I totally do understand how hard the process of changing your eating habits can be. I was a one meal a day kind of gal. I always forgot Breakfast, worked through lunch, and dinner was whatever I could eat in large quantities. Eating mutiple times a day and low carbing it was like some kind of torture exercise.

Hey, another September! I will keep my fingers crossed for you. You know I will keep you posted. We gotta have each others backs on here.

@Smoky: W00t! I will keep my fingers crossed for you too, September is going to be the month!

Lol, starting a healthier lifestyle off on the right foot. Plus, it will give us a chance to impress that upon the family right away, but.... It is not going to be fun. That's for sure.

I know the feeling extremely well with the exercise. I am not keeping up with my couch to 5k program very well.... my feet hurt, my ankles swell, and I always feel really tired. Saddest part? I am only 21. I do love the Kinect and dancing is one thing I can do without even thinking about it and the Kinect has some really great games for that if you enjoy dancing like Dance Central or Zumba.

I know we have to lose weight to prove to our insurance companies that we're serious about changing our lifestyles, but here's my question: what happens if I'm super successful during this six months and the insurance company is like, "good job....keep it up and you won't need surgery"....would they do something like that?

I sure hope this doesn't sound paranoid, but it's something I've thought about and I can be totally honest with you guys. ;)

Anyone else wondering the same thing? What if we lose too much weight?

My surgery is in 11 days, but I had to comment on the sleep. I really didn't think I had sleep apnea. My dh said he had never noticed me stop breathing, but I did snore a lot. I knew I wasn't sleeping well at all. I would awaken about 4-6 times/night to use the bathroom. I thought my bladder was just a mess. I would awaken at 3 most nights, and I wouldn't fall back to sleep at all. I was having weird symptoms that I thought were some sort of seizures...very odd. Then one night I was driving behind my husband on a hwy. He stopped at a traffic light in front of me, and I didn't! I rear-ended him with all 3 of our children in the car with me. The real kicker is that I didn't even remember it!! I kept driving! My family physician is a good friend of ours, and I told him what happened even though I couldn't remember it...but I knew 'something' happened. My kids were 'freaked out'!! and so was I. It was so weird, yet so scary. My dr sent me to a neurologist and sleep study. I really thought I was having seizures because I knew I was 'zoning out'. Sure enough I have sleep apnea even though it was minor in their terms. My first night with that cpap was the best night of sleep in my life!! I didn't even roll over and I slept 9 hours!! unbelievable! I still can't wait to get rid of the thing though because I do now roll over in the night, and it is annoying to adjust the hose as I do. :)

@420gal: Yes, I have heard that could happen, but it depends on what the requirements are for your insurance. I do not have an comorbidities and if I drop below a 40 BMI.... I am pretty sure I won't be covered. However, I don't lose weight easily, so that was never a worry for me.

@Mythreechildren: Wow, that hasn't happened to me. That must have so terrifying. Thank you for sharing your story.

I have my last of the 6 months MSWL visit on July 11th and then submitted to insurance!! I have a nutrition class (going over the pre-op diet) that same day and am planning to stop in to the program office and check to make sure they are all set to submit me!! I am hoping for surgery the second week of August,

As far as losing too much in your MSWL time, my insurance's (BCBSIL) medical policy states:

NOTE: The initial BMI at the beginning of a weight reduction program will be used to meet the BMI criteria for the definition of morbid obesity used in this policy.

I am going through the 6 months right now also. July 11th will be my 5th visit. WHOOO WHOOO! I remember starting this journey in March and thinking "6 months is so far away" but now it is right around the corner. The closer I get to the submitting part the more anxious I am getting. I'm nervous as with any surgery I have had I was nervous but I don't think nerves will set in until the tell me " your surgery has been scheduled for _________" then I'll probably be a ball of nerves. I continue to pray and keep my faith and I know all will be fine. I already have my letter of recommendation from my PCP, meeting with the NUT on the 8th and then 5th visit the 11th and hopefully last visit Aug. 8th and it can be submitted that same day. Praying for a quick smooth easy approval. Looking at a September surgery date. I had it all planned out until my boss asked me if I had thought about coming back on FT at work :unsure: Well actually No, LOL! (hubby and mommy think its a good idea) So now I am going back FT at work. My supervisor and I are pretty cool but I dont want to tell her i am having WLS but I know if I say "I'm having surgery" she is going to ask "What kind and are you ok". I thought about doing it around Thanksgiving and take that Wed. off and the following week after off and then it wouldn't really seem like I was taking off for two weeks due to the holiday.... HUMMM But I really dont want to wait if I dont have to. AHHH HAAA enough of that! Yes I am also on the 6 months and counting down. Wishing you all the best. (Sorry for my ramble"

Wishes - the book that they gave me is called Snoring and sleep Apnea: sleep Well, Feel Better - here is an Amazon link to it if it is okay to include outside links

http://www.amazon.com/Snoring-Sleep-Apnea-Well-Better/dp/1932603263/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309664094&sr=1-1

It has a lot of great information if like myself, are not familiar with slepp apnea and its treatment. I always thought I just liked naps lol. As it turns out sleep apnea can actually be a contributing factor in weight gain - it affects our organs, if we are not getting good rest, enough oxygen - we are slowly killling ourselves - I swear even after one night on the cpap even my aching joints felt better. I have an appointment next week to get my own machine for use at home. I would definitely look into having a sleep study, my insurance (BCBSIL) requires it - folks who have apnea are much likely to have not so great htings happen during surgery.

@Libbe: Congrats, only six more days until you are done! I am so excited for you, and you already have a date! How has the 6MPSWL been for you?

@Sleeveme2011: Wow, you are submitting four days after I do. Oh, what a hard decision to make. Please don't let this fall by the wayside. I know you wouldn't have gone through this six month experience in trying to get approval if you didn't think you needed this surgery.

@Chimera: Oh wow, thank you so much, I ordered the book today. That might be a good idea. I will have to call and ask my insurance if they cover the test. Do you know the CPT code?

I am sorry I don't know the code.