Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am sooooo confused. I am normally a happy go-lucky girl with so much patience for everything and everyone..........Well, I will officially be 1 month post-op tomorrow and I have been experiencing severe mood swings for the last 2 weeks....

In the begining (after week one) i contributed the moods to lack of sleep from discomfort and no food but now that I am eating (pureed) I thought it would be over.

Anyone else experiencing this? I take a chewable Multivitamin everyday but I am wondering if I am missing some valuable Vitamins or minerals I am not getting.

Or easy answer would be that now I am a b***h...... My friends and family say they don't see these mood swings but they are just being nice. My husband tells me I went from sweet to b***h on wheels........

HELP ! Any suggestions would be appreciated. I put a call into the surgeon to see if they got my blood test results from last week showing my Vitamin levels.

Thanks all!

Dawn :)

Well, think for a sec. Lots of things are at play.

You aren't getting your "fix" anymore, whatever that meant in your case. Whether binging or sugar or just eating too much on a regular basis etc, you can't do it anymore. That means lots of things that had been comfortably food-numbed aren't anymore.

On top of that, many many hormones are fat soluble. As you lose, these get released into the blood stream. It is not unusual for a woman's cycle to be pretty screwed up for a year as this all gets flushed out. It can also affect mood, temprament, etc.

Stay well hydrated, keeping folloiwng your postop instructions, do what you can to think about how much you value your relationships (to help with the urge to be irritable) and know it will settle down eventually.

Girl, I was known as "Queen Bitch" for about eight weeks following my surgery. Your body is all confused right now. First off, anesthesia does a number on it. Prior to that, you were probably on some kind of crazy diet that made your body say "what the heck"? Then, you have surgery. Then you only give your body liquids and then slowly incorporate food back into your diet. You start adding exercise and losing weight. Your poor body is a mess, it doesn't know what is going on and has some major adjusting to do. But never fear, your hormones and everything else will level out soon enough and all you will be is happy, happy, HAPPY with the new and improving you!

As the others mentioned, anesthesia, trauma and the fact you're not indulging in food and getting the endorphin "high" all play a part. It works that way for the boys too, I have been super grumpy lately and pissed at the world.

WARNING! May be TMI: I had previously diagnosed with low testosterone and had my levels under control till I had surgery, then they shot right through the roof. I halved the dosage and was OK for a few more months and then had my levels rechecked and they were through the roof again. So the doc prescribed a half strength version for me - which I cut the dosage in half AGAIN, so now I am taking 1/8th of what I originally used to take. I have to wait a few weeks to get rechecked but I can feel they're too high yet. I have to take SOMETHING as my level bottoms out way below male normal between dosages, then I want to cry all the time. The reason is simple, there is less of ME to spread the hormones around in so they in effect get stronger. This can also happen wihtout taking replacement therapy as your own natural hormones will become more "concentrate" too. Now you're just starting out so this effect may not be kicking in yet.

I'm right there with you. I'm about a month post-op, and have had the same feelings. The therapist I'm working with said the same as those who posted above - I'm a binge eater, and I've taken away my outlet - so many emotions to deal with, not to mention the new lifestyle. I'm doing my best to find "healthy" ways to cope and am hopeful this is just part of the healing process! Good luck to you!

I am sooooo confused. I am normally a happy go-lucky girl with so much patience for everything and everyone..........Well, I will officially be 1 month post-op tomorrow and I have been experiencing severe mood swings for the last 2 weeks....

In the begining (after week one) i contributed the moods to lack of sleep from discomfort and no food but now that I am eating (pureed) I thought it would be over.

Anyone else experiencing this? I take a chewable Multivitamin everyday but I am wondering if I am missing some valuable Vitamins or minerals I am not getting.

Or easy answer would be that now I am a b***h...... My friends and family say they don't see these mood swings but they are just being nice. My husband tells me I went from sweet to b***h on wheels........

HELP ! Any suggestions would be appreciated. I put a call into the surgeon to see if they got my blood test results from last week showing my Vitamin levels.

Thanks all!

Hi,

Please trust you are not alone! As you can see from the other posts it is not uncommon! My husband had to point it out to me that I was very "testy" he said I was snippy and quick to jump on things... He pointed it out to me a couple of times and at my 2 week follow up visit I mentioned it to my doctor and he said it is all totally normal, that it is my hormones raging and adjusting to the surgery. He told me it "could" take as much as 3 months for my body to find a balance... thank goodness it did not take that long, but I am almost six months out and I do catch myself being very quick to get ticked off on something so stupid or meaningless.. totally out of character for me. It doesnt happen often but it does still happen once in a while with me.

Good luck...hopefully it will pass soon and your body adjusts.

I totally get this. In class yesterday, my instructor took me aside and asked me if everything was okay? She said I had seemed really angry the last few weeks. I was floored! I asked two of my classmates who are also my friends, if they had noticed this as well. They both agreed. Floored again. And hubby concurred with them when I asked him later. What a relief to read that this is normal after surgery. I am 8 weeks out and doing fine with the eating plan and exercise and all. I didn't even realize that I was looking/acting grumpy.

Looking forward to this clearing up!

Laurarolleyes.gif

Agreed with everyone it takes a while to adjust to dealing with the emotions we would have just buried with food previously, and hormones take time to balance out. Exercise helps our weightloss as well as relieving stress. I am starting out slow with walking and my Gazelle Glider, but seems to be helping. You're not alone in this!

:)

I'm in the same boat. Everyone thinks I'm a total b**** now.... Me and my mother argue everyday about how bad my attitude has gotten. I'm almost 3 months post op and I don't know when my hormones will return to normal levels..... sigh lol.

THANK YOU all so much for your valuable advice.

I know you are right and I have to be patient for sure. I will mention to my doc when I see him but I am sure it will get better with time.

It was great to hear so many other people going through it.....No offense but at least I am not alone.

BIG wish to you all that this moodiness is quick lived.

SMILES!

Happy to report that I am down 28 lbs since surgery June 1st. SO happy about the weight loss! Have to figure out how to update my ticker :)

I'll be three weeks out tomorrow and I am the same way. I am usually easy going, but I find I'm quick to being irritable. I don't let anyone know when I'm feeling this way, but I have a difficult time hiding it. Today the adult step children are coming over and they don't help with the cooking etc. They don't clean up after themselves or their children either and I'm going to have to work overtime to keep myself in check. I usually would accept this for what it is, but today I'm angry before anything even happens (cooking, cleaning, and no eating sucks). I do understand exactly how you feel and hope we both get through this stage of our journey without any "mishaps." I am not, however, moody with everyone. I suspect that the things we are moody about have always been there, but with so much to deal with right now those things are even more taxing. Good luck and I hope your blood work is good.

Thanks all!