Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does stopping Nexium make you hungry?

I don't know if this is a coincidence; but I am 3 months out and recently posted my 3 month update. Since then my Nexium which was prescribed for 3 months after surgery finished. This week I didn't lose any weight, when I have lost about 1kg or 2.2lbs a week for the past 12 weeks...

Has anybody else had this happen or think there is a connection between Nexium or any other stomach acid reducing medication and their weight loss?? (Im just trying to figure out what went wrong!)

Mel

I don't know about the weight loss part, but have read about people experiencing hunger from acid if they weren't on meds. Good luck on the scales moving soon!!

I am just over 3 mos out and I get that "hungry" feeling when I try to stop as well. My doctor wanted me off the zantac but everytime I try I get that feeling. I hope there are no long term side effects of staying on the PPI but I just don't like how I feel when I stop taking it.

I take Nexium daily and am still have that hungy feeling all the time. I really don't think Nexium has anything to do with it.

My Dr. also says that their isn't any scientific evidence to support the theory about "FALSE HUNGER" from acid. I have googled and googled and can't find any either.

Who knows why we are so hungry when we shouldn't be? I just ate a boiled egg and turkey sausage link and my stomach is growling like I haven't eaten in 2 days!

Kelly

I think I will go to my GP and get another script.. I did read on the packaging that Nexium can hinder absorption of B group Vitamins, specifically B12 (which is something you don't want to have a deficiency in as it affects your mental health and leads to mania).

KellyW.. perhaps the rumbling is how your new stomach functions now, I know things are not the same for my stomach now, and sometimes it does lots of flips and I can kinda feel the food being processed now..

I SURE HOPE NOT!!!

I feel as if I could eat a horse all the damn time! If I have to feel this way for the rest of my life, I will just die!!! :(

Kelly

I think I will go to my GP and get another script.. I did read on the packaging that Nexium can hinder absorption of B group Vitamins, specifically B12 (which is something you don't want to have a deficiency in as it affects your mental health and leads to mania).

KellyW.. perhaps the rumbling is how your new stomach functions now, I know things are not the same for my stomach now, and sometimes it does lots of flips and I can kinda feel the food being processed now..

Most of the Bariatric Surgeons that have been doing the Sleeve for a while are aware that acid can cause nausea, and hunger feelings. Some surgeons start these meds right in your IV right out of surgery. Most of them send you home with the meds or a script to get the meds. They usually recommend PPI's for up to 6 months, but some people continue afterwards if they still have problems.

If you type in "acid causes hunger" on yahoo: 5,270,000 results for

acid causes hunger: The hits for the sites that come up aren't even necessarily related to bariatric or Sleeve websites. You can also search "gastric sleeve acid causes hunger" and you will get a high # of hits, a lot of them of course from the wls websites.

I hope this helps and good luck!!! I hate to see anyone suffer needlessly with hunger when that is part of the reason I chose this procedure over the others.

:)

Thanks KellyL, made an appointment to get some more scripts. Thank you, I am convinced this is my problem!!

((HUGS)) KellyW, I really hope things settle down for you. Perhaps a change in your hormones is causing your hunger at the moment, I still get ravenous before the time of the month and having this surgery made my cycle all over the place!! (but still worth it :) )

Yep, it sure can, and it's the main reason I choose to stay on my PPI even at over 2 years out. I read way too many stories from others weaning off their PPI and their hunger returned. Sadly, hunger might be "normal" for some, but for me, it's my worse enemy.

I did experience false hunger early out, went on Prilosec, cleared it up, and was switched over to Nexium 6 months ago. I love not being hungry. I know that sounds crazy, but I know that my ravenous hunger pre-op was a big contributor to my obesity, and I don't want it back.