Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is diet soda okay?

Good Afternoon,

I have a really stupid question. If you shake all the carbonation out of a diet soda, is it okay to drink it postband? I know I was told "no more diet soda", but I think it's the one thing I really, really miss. I used to have only one a day, but have not had any since surgery in December.

This is my first ever post but wanted to share my experience with sodas...I have always had problems with sodas even after shaking all the carbonation out of them...My problem is the gas...lol...It is just very painful for me...I had a different type of procedure than the lap-band but very similar to it...Just wanted to share...

I was told by my dr that no matter how much you shake it it will always have some bubbles. Some one else posted about having soda in slurpie form. I know its alot higher in cal, but if you only do it one a week as a treat it should not be too bad. I would think it would be more band friendly...

Microwaving kills the carbonation I was told.....I haven't tried it...so unsure!!? I haven't been banded as long as you...but have been eying the soft drinks too!!!! I would LOVE to have that crisp cold bubble though....not gonna do it though!!!!

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -56lbs :)

My lapband Dr told me that I could have diet pop/soda if I buy a bottle and open the top and let it set a few days so all the fizz is gone. He said he's had a few patients that couldn't give up the diet coke that do that even though it doesn't taste so good.

Dr. C on another thread said diet soda was okay as long as its not really fizzy. I would guess it would have to sit for a while, not sure about days.

Every now and then I get a craving for diet soda... I'll let it sit in the frig for a few days until its flat.... no air in there let me tell yah.

Diet 7UP fizzes out faster than Diet Coke... I did a side by side test in my frig not long ago. 7UP died in 1 day, Coke lasted 3 days and then I got pissed and shook it up some more LOL !!!! They were only 20 oz bottles btw.

I drink a diet coke straight from my husbands can!! I can only tolerate a few sips. I've never felt any pain, it just makes me burp A LOT & is uncomfortable. But, the few sips I get in totally satisfy my little craving.

I drink diet soda every day. I recently read a thread on WLS alumni who are over 12 months out from surgery, and everyone who responded said they drink diet soda to some degree. Some doctors don't advise it, but there is no scientific data to back up any advise. I don't wait for the fizz to go out -- I just pour into a glass and sip, not gulp. Of course, if it bothers you, don't do it. Everybody is different, and different things will bother each person. But I personally don't have any trouble with soda.

Neddie,

Everyone gets different advise, even from doctors. Mine said that slurpees had carbonation and to stay away. On a related note, I remember as a little kid my older sister liked to drink hot Dr. Pepper - I mean heated on the stove hot. It does take out the carbonation. I guess you could then pour your heated drink back over ice to cool it down.

Have you tried Minute Maid diet drinks? There may be other brands too. But they have a diet lime-ade like you can get at Sonic. No carbonation either in their stuff.

Just some ideas :)

Terry

I don't really think that any of us who like (or used to like...) soda drank it because of thirst. I think soda can be addictive just as chocolate, sugar, caffeine, etc. With much time and effort I managed to replace my taste/habit for soda with tea or Water and I drink a lot even if I'm not thirsty. But every now and then if I get one of those big cravings for it I just have a sip of Diet Coke after leaving it for 24hrs. in the fridge (or use a spoon to turn it flat).

niki

Thank you for all of your replies. I was never addicted to diet soda, it just makes a nice change. I too drink only Water and iced tea. But, sometimes on a nice hot day, there's nothing like a bubbly glass of ice cold diet soda.:confused:

I've had a few sodas with no problems, but I am not filled yet (getting it tomorrow.) I burp like crazy and have to go slow. I can't imagine drinking them after a fill. I'm not even trying it.

I had not idea that soda would cause such a problem after a fill. I’ve been weaning myself from REGULAR to DIET for a year now. Recently I’ve been cutting down on how many a day and I’ve got it down to 2 or 3 a day now. I used to drink soda instead of Water.< /span>

At Target here in San Diego, CA they have a house brand of powdered diet drink mix (like crystal light) and I’ve been drinking those instead but when I started my liquid diet I got really bad headaches. After talking to my doctor he told me that right now I can have caffeine but not to over due it. I never told him I was talking about soda.

I guess I need to step it up a notch and cut the soda and maybe start drinking tea if I need the caffeine.

I think that LabBandTalk.com is awesome. I'm learning so much from all of you and seeing all those questions---GREAT! Some of them I would have never had thought of on my own.