Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone-quick question I got my officially date for surgery in September 12 how soon should I tell my job. I thought it would be here soon but now September seems many many moons away :-( lol When Did you guys alert your job?

Depends what type of job you have, I am a banker and my Dr said I would be ready in 2weeks after surgery. I went for my follow up then and still did not feel up to it so my Dr gave me 2 more weeks so I had a total of 4 weeks. I believe if your job consist of heaving lifting you are giving 4-6 weeks

Thanks alex0808- I have a desk job (accounting) going do 2 weeks hopefully that enough but when did u alert your job on your actual surgery date? Since I know so far out should I wait or should I tell them now?

My mom is going with me to my surgery on (hopefully) Sept. 2nd. She has already notified her job because she is has a high stress job with things already being planned that far in advance.

Hi,

I have a desk job... my doc said 2-4 weeks.. I chose to take the 4 weeks "just in case" and I was glad I did, but I also was fortuneate enough that the sleeve was "medical" so I completed all my work ppwk in advance, doc signatures, etc.. so I was good to go on the 4 weeks.

Please remember if you take 2 or 4 you are still going to have bouts with fatique....I remember being so extremely tired after work I basically would come home, drink a protien shake and go to bed... I was exhausted. It took me until about the 3 month mark before I got more energy...

It all works out in the end! My only regret with my work is I had wished I would not have told people the truth, that I was having weight loss surgery... I wish I would have said gall bladder or ulcer repair, something like that... Because at my work there are people that totally look at me differently now, like I am a lesser person for choosing surgery. I also had one co-worker with an attitude about having to pick up my work because of weight loss surgery.. she actually said it was very selfish of me to choose this surgery when I am needed at work.. UGH... 20 YEARS overweight and planned the timing just perfectly to give my coworker grief!! I think not... anyway, in hindsight I would not have told a sole at work about my real intention / surgery.. I totally would have told them gall bladder or stomach ulcer...

Good luck

I work at a police department and my surgery ended up two days before Thanksgiving which everyone wanted off along with the upcoming Christmas holiday there were lots of time off requests going on. Without telling my direct boss I filled out FMLA papers with personnel and then when that was all in place I wrote my boss an email telling him I was having surgery (I felt no need to share with him at that time) and I would be off for 4 to 6 weeks. He did come to me and ask if I filled out FMLA and I was bit confused so I went to his office and asked if there was a problem and he said no, just that a lot of people wanted off and that if was an elective surgery they were going to ask me to reschedule if I had not enacted the FMLA. To be on the safe side I got a note from the surgeon to say that was a necessary surgery as if I did not have it by Dec 31st I was looking at about 5000.00 more out of pocket costs.

In the end I told everyone what I was doing, some before , some after as those I work closely with would be seeing a huge change in eating and when I went back to work the difference was HUGE (pun intended) and I needing new uniforms every few weeks was kinda hard to explain and remain quiet about it, also for me it is what it is, I was overweight and I HAD to do something drastic as working out and dieting had failed me for 20 plus years. I found not being up front was too draining, like lieing and that is just not me. Everyone has been absolutely supportive and I have even inspired others to diet and one person is on her way to getting the surgery herself!

I have folks asking me for tips on eating, exercise and how to get started, I figure I am just paying it forward for the wonderful gift I have been given!

i told my work months in advance that i would be taking time off. i only took a week, but my boss knew about it long before i even had a date!

make sure they are informed.

Kelly :D

Hello everyone-quick question I got my officially date for surgery in September 12 how soon should I tell my job. I thought it would be here soon but now September seems many many moons away :-( lol When Did you guys alert your job?

Hi New, I told my job 1 month in advance, just because. Then I went back to work 2 weeks after the surgery.

Speaking from my personal situation, I let my employer know as soon as I got a date. I am glad I did, because within the 3 months notice I gave them, two people quit, and one put in for vacation around my surgery date. We were short-handed but my time-off request was already approved. I took 3 weeks off, but was on lifting restrictions the week after I came back.

I have a desk job, but I work from home. So I plan on only taking off 3 days, then 2 days just work a few hours if I'm able too. If not, no big deal. Then it will be the weekend and by the next Monday I should be fine to go. If I was still working in the office I would just plan on a week out and maybe do half days if needed the next week.

I let my boss know as soon as I had a surgery date. It's always best to be in communication about the time off you need from the very beginning - that way in case things happen like people quitting or someone else putting in for vacation at the same time, your request was first so should be honored first.

Thanks everyone think I'm going ask for 3 weeks and if I feel up to it come back sooner... I will let them know as soon as I get my doctor notes.