Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Canceled - High triglycerides

That is the craziest thing I ever heard.

You can do this!!! Yay!! Get that play list going, gf. Other songs to add: Footloose (Kenny Loggins), The Final Countdown (Europe), Jump (Van Halen), No Easy Way Out (Robert Tepper - the song from Rocky IV), Panama (Van Halen), Lose Yourself (Eminiem), Enter Sandman (Metallica), Fighter (Christina Aguilera), I Stand Alone (Godsmack), Crazy b***h (Buckcherry), We Will Rock You (Queen)

These are some from my workout playlist that I thought you may like since you mentioned 80's songs like Eye of the Tiger.

I am sure you will do great! You sound very dedicated. I will be rooting for you!

Well.. 2 days into the diet.. more like a day and half.. I'm feeling like poo have had a bad headache for the better part of 2 days... in better news my blood sugar has been excellent with this pre-op diet, no carbs = easy diabetes management... taking these cholesterol meds - zetia and crestor... I don't know how much all these is going to help in a week.. My surgeon (Dr. Umbach) didn't seem to phased by my labs, after all he deals with obese people needing assistance all the time.. he does seem concerned that my PCP won't clear, and I think now it might have something to do with liability... Dr. Umbach did send me to my PCP for this surgical clearance.. I got an EKG (which was good) but the labs had bad cholesterol and triglycerides... latest update was that he was going to talk to my PCP sometime today, or tomorrow... and as far as I know things are a still a go, it's been a pain getting a straight answer from anybody.. hopefully i'll get some good news... if not, i'm going to be mad, because there's some chili in the fridge with my name on it.

I've been out walking 30 minutes or so the last 2 nights, taking the stairs at work instead of the elevator...

Also taking all my Vitamins at request of Dr. Umbachs office, Calcium Citrate, B12 spray, Multivitamin, Vitamin D (it was a tad low as well) ... also taking some Omega 3/fish oil since it lowers triglycerides.. I'll probably have to stop some of these meds and whatnot next week as it'll be a week till surgery... just waiting for some news and typing hoping to see a message in my inbox, but it's late.. not happening tonight.

wish me luck, it ain't over yet.

Your triglycerides are affected by fat. Keep fat out of your diet and they will go down. I have hereditary high triglycerides, to the point of being in the thousands if I don't take meds and watch my diet. My docs all had me on a no to low fat diet because of them. Hope all goes well. But I think your surgeon will not have an issue with doing the surgery, mine were 356 3 weeks post op can you imagine what they were pre op?? Normal is 200 and under.

I have hereditary high triglycerides, to the point of being in the thousands if I don't take meds and watch my diet.

Mine were in the thousands... I think partially because I had a huge meal that night before.. big plate of spaghetti, with corn and garlic bread... I should have still been in the fasting range (was about 12 hours before), but eating a huge meal then going to bed, getting up and going to get labs drawn probably wasn't the best idea.. but I just had an e-mail with a form to take to my PCP and didn't have instructions to fast... though I should have known better... I don't know how much a big meal like that can spike triglycerides or if they spike at all... we'll see though... hoping for the best.. I had an issue yesterday with my blood sugar being too low (57) and I was at work at didn't have anything around to eat, so I ended up eating a small snack size bag of trail mix, about 240 calories... but the rest of the day, I just had a small salad for lunch, with low fat Italian - and then a broccoli and cheese snacker (40 calories) and a small serving of grilled chicken... so I should have been under 500-600 calories yesterday... with very little fat, and almost no cholesterol... today will be better as I'm lowering my insulin a tad just to avoid the spikes...

Well, all is well... over the last couple days I've got all my surgery stuff straight... My old PCP in Vegas stated that she'd clear me, and then I got an email from Dr. Umbach stating that he'd clear me as well.. not sure if I still need to go to my PCP or not, but either way.. Dr. Umbach told me not to worry... I've been on my pre-op diet about 5 days now, the hunger is pretty much gone... it's still mentally there though.. I've lost a good bit of weight.. I'm supposed to be doing 2 shakes a day, but I haven't found a good shake I like yet, being diabetic I'm wary on adding fruit and outside sources, as I need to keep me shakes as low carb as possible.. so the last 5 days I've been drinking Protein shots for Breakfast and lunch, and then eating grilled chicken and broccoli for dinner... and drinking lots of Water... Dr. Umbachs office told me I couldn't do it.. that'd I'd be hunger because the shots don't fill you up, but I think I've proven that theory wrong.. I'm taking in about 500 calories or so a day..

So, we're leaving for Vegas a little earlier because of me having to go see my PCP there, so I get an extra 4 days off work! and we're leaving for Vegas on Tuesday... I have a nutrition class on Thursday at Dr. Umbachs office, and then pre-op consult on 7/5 and surgery on 7/6! Since Aetna is paying for it I'll probably be doing an overnight in the hospital, but I'm not sure yet...

Today is my 28th birthday, and looking in the mirror today I almost wanted to cry because it's the last birthday I'm going to spend overweight... For the last few years I've worked towards this goal, ultimately ending up where I am... and it's almost a weight off the shoulders to know that it's almost there.. I developed a lot of bad habits the last couple years as far as eating goes, and i'm starting to break them now with the pre-op diet, and i think i'm ready.. I was scared before, and I'm still a little nervous, it is a pretty big deal.. but I'm happy... and I'm ready!

I'm glad everything worked out for you. All the advice given on how to lower your triglycerides will help you during your losing phase. Good luck to you!

There you go. Drink Water like a fish and knock yourself out on the pre-op diet. You can do this, I just know you can!

Well I called and talked to my surgeon.. well his assistant.. and she said my lab levels were bad.. but he wasn't surprised by them, after all he deals with obese patients on a daily basis... He told me to start my pre-op diet now, and check my levels again in a week, as long as they've shown that they've gone down a bit with my diet, he's fine with doing the surgery.... so fingers crossed.

I am diabetic too along with the high triglycerides, not to mention other ailments ugh. I drink the Atkins low carb/low sugar Protein Shakes. They are a little pricey for the amount of Protein but they do not raise my sugar at all and are tastier to me then the powders ever were. My personal favorite is the dark chocolate. They come 4 to a pack at about 5.50 at Target here in NC. They are 11oz and have 15grams of protein per drink. I had 4 of them a day to equal the 60 grams of protein required by my doc and 44 oz of liquid while on my full liquid diet pre and post op. Hope this helps.

I just read all of these posts and I was so happy to read that things are working out!!! sounds like you really set your mind to it and you DID IT!!! Congratulations on your efforts. I also wanted to wish you luck and let you know we will all be here rooting for you and looking forward to hearing how things are going post op!

I have arrived in Vegas, been here since Tuesday..

Went to see my old primary on Wednesday.. what I thought was going to be a basic "ok, here ya go".. turned out to be a lot more... she made me go for cardiac clearance - so i had to go through another ekg, echo, and stress test... my labs were redrawn, and were bad.. but better... and then last night I was finally given the ok from the cardiologist.. so all is a go for my sleeve on Wednesday... While I was nervous about the surgery up front, these doctors being so just picky with me.. I'm actually feeling good.. my surgeon didn't request all this extra stuff it was done by my PCP, and it's gave me a lot more confidence and eased my mind about this.

Let the countdown begin!

I just saw your post and when I saw your docs name, it seemed familiar as one I had read about before. I don't want to scare you but you should see this posting. You may have already had your surgery, but I believe in being informed as much as possible.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/adwinters12345/

Well, all is well... over the last couple days I've got all my surgery stuff straight... My old PCP in Vegas stated that she'd clear me, and then I got an email from Dr. Umbach stating that he'd clear me as well.. not sure if I still need to go to my PCP or not, but either way.. Dr. Umbach told me not to worry... I've been on my pre-op diet about 5 days now, the hunger is pretty much gone... it's still mentally there though.. I've lost a good bit of weight.. I'm supposed to be doing 2 shakes a day, but I haven't found a good shake I like yet, being diabetic I'm wary on adding fruit and outside sources, as I need to keep me shakes as low carb as possible.. so the last 5 days I've been drinking Protein shots for Breakfast and lunch, and then eating grilled chicken and broccoli for dinner... and drinking lots of Water... Dr. Umbachs office told me I couldn't do it.. that'd I'd be hunger because the shots don't fill you up, but I think I've proven that theory wrong.. I'm taking in about 500 calories or so a day..

So, we're leaving for Vegas a little earlier because of me having to go see my PCP there, so I get an extra 4 days off work! and we're leaving for Vegas on Tuesday... I have a nutrition class on Thursday at Dr. Umbachs office, and then pre-op consult on 7/5 and surgery on 7/6! Since Aetna is paying for it I'll probably be doing an overnight in the hospital, but I'm not sure yet...

Today is my 28th birthday, and looking in the mirror today I almost wanted to cry because it's the last birthday I'm going to spend overweight... For the last few years I've worked towards this goal, ultimately ending up where I am... and it's almost a weight off the shoulders to know that it's almost there.. I developed a lot of bad habits the last couple years as far as eating goes, and i'm starting to break them now with the pre-op diet, and i think i'm ready.. I was scared before, and I'm still a little nervous, it is a pretty big deal.. but I'm happy... and I'm ready!

I just saw your post and when I saw your docs name, it seemed familiar as one I had read about before. I don't want to scare you but you should see this posting. You may have already had your surgery, but I believe in being informed as much as possible.

http://www.obesityhe...adwinters12345/

I have seen that before, and I mentioned it in my first post on here about being nervous... I've read that story and it's a shame what happened to that girl, it really is. However, the only negative I've found on Dr. Umbach is this expierience. I asked both my PCP who is a very well respected Dr., as well as a professor at Univeristy of Las Vegas - and my cardiologist, who both had nothing but good things to say about Dr. Umbach. My mom who is an RN at a hospital he operates at, has also nothing but good things to say about him... All 3 of these people, my mom, my PCP, and my cardiologist all mentioned the same thing about him, and that was how good his follow up care is.. which reading that girls expierience kind of confused me as she I guess was told that "he didn't do after care" - my mom mentioned the other day he was up at the hospital at night for a couple hours, and spent the evening personally calling patients to see how they are doing. Him and his office have been nothing but great to me, and there are a few people here on this forum that have had great expieriences with him. and as I mentioned... the only negative I've seen have been this person, and people associated with this person spreading the story and don't get me wrong.. the story is a good story as far as what can go wrong.... we all take that risk when we go in. I'm sure if you were to ask Dr. Umbach about this particular case I'm sure you'd get a 2nd side of the story... as to what is right and what is wrong, I'm not to say.. and I feel bad for all involved..

I appreciate the concern, I did a lot of research coming to this decision and this story was amongst them, but I'm confident in my decision.