Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Story

Well here goes, my story. I have always had a weight problem, for as long as I can remember. I can remember my Dad grilling me about how much I weighed when I was in like third grade. My Dad was slim as a young adult, but put on a few pounds as he aged. My Mom struggled with her weight, but she is a strong minded woman, and has never been "fat". She loves to cook and bake, but she is great about not eating what she cooks. I am a "Mature" adult now, (translate that to read almost ready for Medicare), but feel much younger, and want to continue to feel years younger. I started thinking about bariatric procedures shortly after my cousin, who is a sugeon, had a Roux N Y procedure himself. He subsequently specialized in bariatric surgery and is currently doing mainly bariatric procedures.

Throughout my adult life I have been or participated in Weight Watchers, Diet Center, Weight Down Workshop, Over Eaters Annon., TOPS, and a bunch more that I can't even remember, plus have tried almost every diet that has come along.

I even went so far as to make an appointment and go see him last summer. But when I checked with our insurance company, they informed me they don't pay for ANY bariatric procedures. My cousin (bless his heart) offered to do the surgery for free, but I would still have to pay the hospital and anesthesia costs, which were going to run about $14,000. I didn't have $14,000 sitting around, so I started looking at options in Mexico. I choose to go to Tijuana and have the surgery there. I was sleeved three days ago, and so far am very happy with my choice.

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for sharing your story. I am a Cathi too. Can you tell a little more about your Mexico experience? I am scheduled to be sleeved with Dr. Aceves July 13th, am so excited and scared at the same time. My partner is supportive, but adult daughter and family are giong crazy. Making comments like I am either going to be butchered by the surgeon or stuffed with drugs by the drug lords that are going to kidnap me! Now I just respond with either send me postiive support or be quiet! Was your family ok with you going? Hope everything continues to go well for you. Cathi

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for sharing your story. I am a Cathi too. Can you tell a little more about your Mexico experience? I am scheduled to be sleeved with Dr. Aceves July 13th, am so excited and scared at the same time. My partner is supportive, but adult daughter and family are giong crazy. Making comments like I am either going to be butchered by the surgeon or stuffed with drugs by the drug lords that are going to kidnap me! Now I just respond with either send me postiive support or be quiet! Was your family ok with you going? Hope everything continues to go well for you. Cathi

Cathi, Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. If you look at the thread where someone asks everybody to tell who did their surgery and where it was, look at page 5, and you will see a little bit about my experience. I am a nurse (of 41 years) and I picked up on a lot of things that concerned me where I had my surgery (in Tijuana). I can't remember if it was in the Pre-op GVS or the Post Op VGS section where someone asked the question. But check page five and you will see my concerns. This might help you to evaluate what you are doing. Lots of luck!

KathyD 49