Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I put this?

So, I went to my doctor today for my 6 month checkup. I've lost 85 lbs, pretty good, right? Not according to him... According to my doctor, because I've lost this slowly, I can only expect to lose another 20 lbs in the next 6 months. I just looked at him, shook my head and said "You are wrong." But, I'm so offended. I know he has experience with this surgery and post-surgery experience, but how can he possibly say this to me? I lost 14 lbs this month and 16 the month before. That's 30 lbs in 2 months. How can he suggest that I'm only going to lose another 20 lbs in SIX more months? Frankly, I just think that's incredibly negative, and I think it's irresponsible to tell your patients that you are predicting a negative outcome for them. I have lost 140 lbs on my own WITHOUT the sleeve, so I can damn well do it WITH the sleeve. I know that I can do this, but what about other patients who are less sure of themselves? If I didn't already know I could this, I would have gone home today totally downtrodden and miserable. And being that upset about it might have actually made his prediction come true. However, I know from past experience that I can do this, so it just makes me really, really angry. Has anyone else had this experience? Seriously, I am shocked and somewhat appalled. I can't wait to get to goal and say "I told you so."

Um... that's just terrible! Wow, you really should've given him a piece of your mind.

BTW - In my world your stats are really excellent. Keep your head up and don't let his insane expectations get to you.

Ughhh...

Um... that's just terrible! Wow, you really should've given him a piece of your mind.

BTW - In my world your stats are really excellent. Keep your head up and don't let his insane expectations get to you.

Ughhh...

Aw, thank you, Irene! You are always so wonderfully positive! It just really blows my mind that my doctor would say this to me!!! I mean, yes, I understand it gets harder and the weight loss slow down... but he should have counseled me on what I could do to mitigate the slowing down, or keep up my weight loss... NOT told me that I can only lose 20 more lbs.

That was so crappy of him! I would definitely get to goal and then go in and say "it's a good thing i didn't listen to you"!! You have done exceptionally well, so he can just SUCK IT! You keep doing what you're doing.

So, I went to my doctor today for my 6 month checkup. I've lost 85 lbs, pretty good, right? Not according to him... According to my doctor, because I've lost this slowly, I can only expect to lose another 20 lbs in the next 6 months. I just looked at him, shook my head and said "You are wrong." But, I'm so offended. I know he has experience with this surgery and post-surgery experience, but how can he possibly say this to me? I lost 14 lbs this month and 16 the month before. That's 30 lbs in 2 months. How can he suggest that I'm only going to lose another 20 lbs in SIX more months? Frankly, I just think that's incredibly negative, and I think it's irresponsible to tell your patients that you are predicting a negative outcome for them. I have lost 140 lbs on my own WITHOUT the sleeve, so I can damn well do it WITH the sleeve. I know that I can do this, but what about other patients who are less sure of themselves? If I didn't already know I could this, I would have gone home today totally downtrodden and miserable. And being that upset about it might have actually made his prediction come true. However, I know from past experience that I can do this, so it just makes me really, really angry. Has anyone else had this experience? Seriously, I am shocked and somewhat appalled. I can't wait to get to goal and say "I told you so."

Hey Lila,

Firstly, congrats on your incredible weight loss so far... wow 85lb in 6mths... that is pretty awesome! Impressive!! You've lost in one month, what I have this YEAR (and I ain't comparing, just making and observation)...

I really don't understand how you are not on track!! Is your surgeon some kind of rambling baffoon... 'cos seriously I could swing for him right now! How the hell is 85lb in 6mths SLOW??? That is a small person - actually my 11 yr son weighs about that; sorta puts it into perspective don'tcha think!

If he was my surgeon, I would be in bits by now... you know how slow my weight loss is, and reading this makes me feel soooo bloody angry! And as for predicting your future weight loss... I ain't being funny but perhaps he should leave that side of it to Mystic Meg!!!

I am well proud of your attitude... infact, I would like some of it please... on a gold plate, cos fair play, you have it sorted!!

When you reach goal, and you will, go in there, in your best clobber and tell him to JOG ON... otherwise I will have to leave the Green Green Grass of Home and do it myself...lol!

You keep rockin' your sleeve my friend, and balls to him!!! =]

Wow, that is really horrible of him. I hope you show him up. You are right on track from what I've seen!

First, losing 85lbs in six months is totally awesome! Congratulations. Please don't let that doctor's negativity get to you. You are doing great and in fact I would not call losing 85lbs in six months slow. Stay on track and prove his prediction to be completely wrong. Stay focused and be encouraged!

Thanks so much guys! Your encouragement has really helped! As much as I hate to admit it, his words were really haunting! However, I know I can do this, and I know I can prove him wrong. As you say, I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing!

There's some real ass@#$% in the medical field.

I wonder if he is trying to use reverse psychology to keep his patients on track. You know say you can not do it and then they get mad and make sure they surpass his expectations to prove him wrong.

Either way its not nice to say negative things when you have had great progress so far. Keep on doing what you have been doing and you will be at goal in no time.

someone should tell him that he may be destroying the weightloss possibilities of so many of his patients... Like you said... not everyone has the confidence...who knows.. those emotional eaters might leave the office and stop at the first Dairy Queen.. What a dumb a$$.

I was thinking the same thing as AutumnLily -- reverse psychology. If he knew your history of losing over 100 pounds without the sleeve, he might have thought this was just the comments to push your buttons. He has experience in the results to expect, but he probably has some experience in dealing with different personalities as well. I hope his comment was designed to get you motivated to prove him wrong and that he isn't just an asshat. Great job on your loss so far!

Thanks, LindaS! I hope that's the case. I'd hate to think that he took that approach with all of his patients!