Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What should i stock up on before the big day??

hi All,

Ill be going in Thursday!!! Any suggestions what i need to stock up on at home? ANd what i should remember to bring to the hospital? So excited but i am soooo nervous! Thanks in advance!

hi All,

Ill be going in Thursday!!! Any suggestions what i need to stock up on at home? ANd what i should remember to bring to the hospital? So excited but i am soooo nervous! Thanks in advance!

I am two days post op, just discharged from the hospital this morning. A couple of things that I wish I had brought with me

1. My own pillow, or even two pillows. I wanted one to "tuck under my tummy" when I laid on my side, to kind of support my stomach.. The one at the hospital was lumpy and I just couldn't get comfortable with it.

2. A heating pad. I think a heating pad would have helped my tummy feel better. My doctor doesn't use any narcotic meds post op, just an anti-inflammatory, and I had a significant amount of discomfort. I think a heating pad would have felt good.

3. Better shoes. I wore high heeled sandals, they were the only pair of shoes I took with me. I wish I had taken some slippers or slipper socks for walking the hall. The best thing you can do for yourself after the surgery is to get up and walk, walk, walk. And comfy shoes sure wold have helped.

Anyway, don't be nervous! This morning I was scared, I felt terible; weak, dizzy, tired out, gassy. I thought maybe I was dying~ but after I got up and showered and got dressed, I started to feel better. I think being as active as possible to get rid of the CO2 gas is the key. I still feel really gassy, but it is definitly getting better. Hang in there and don't be nervous. Good luck!

Things I am glad I brought:

1) Gasx Strips

2) Biotene Mouth Spray (to keep the mouth moist without swallowing water)

3) LIP BALM!!!!! Believe me your lips will really dry out.

4) Small pillow to hold against your stomach when you cough, and to support yourself when you sit up.

5) A large safety pin in case they leave a tube in you to pin to your gown so you don't pull it accidently.

and most inportant:

6) a portable clip fan to clip to the iv stand to blow directly on you!

7) Houseshoes

Good luck!

Steven

I'm assuming you'll be on protein-based liquids for at least two weeks after surgery like I was. And since all you can have is liquids, I would get a wide variety...a little bit of everything so to speak. My Protein powder came in chocolate, strawberry and banana...but I would've gotten more vanilla so that I could add different Torani SF Syrups...caramel or black cherry sound good right about now. Or adding some instant Decaf coffee for a latte-type drink sounds good. Also get a few different flavors of cream Soup and broth. I was allowed yogurt; and I finally broke down and bought some Crystal Lite. I have never liked Crystal lite, but it is helping me get more Water down. Since nothing but liquids gets so boring, I think more variety of flavors would make you feel like you're having something new. I start pureed food tomorrow....I'm counting the hours! Maybe I'll start at midnight...just kidding!!

Also I would make sure to ask what type of OTC medications you can take at home. Pain relievers, antacids, etc. I caught a cold and was happy that I knew what cold medicine I was allowed to take.

I didn't need to take anything to the hospital, they were very attentive, and I guess I am a pretty low maintenance type of gal. But KathyD49 is right, take comfortable shoes to go home in and don't wear clothing that is snug at your waist.

I hope this helps!

Hello;

I was a VSG outpatient with the NEW program for surgery. Are you staying overnight? Dr. Quebbemann, Dr. Chin or Dr. Braverman?

To all you newbies, there is a great thread of what to take to hospital on this site under General Sleeve Surgery Discussions. Here is link. http://www.verticals...surgery-thread/

Tips: Wear loose clothing. I wore a zip up jacket so I did not need to pull anything over my head. A bra that snapped in front so I did not need extra help to dress. Pants with a draw string, no elastic around waist or waitband since you might be bloated from gas. Slip on shoes are a must and no high heels. HA HA

At home: I love the idea of a heating pad post op as this tip helped me out a lot. Also, try sipping drinks at room tempature. I drank refrigerated G2 gatorade (zero calorie/surgarless) and that was not easy, but room tempature really made a difference. Prefill your perscriptions, if any. chicken noodle broth...diluted and strained. Any taste besides those nasty sweet Protein shakes were welcome. A spouse who is willing to sleep in another bed for a few days since he tosses often. :)

Don't recommend stocking up on a whole bunch of protien items. Many report a change in taste, so what you like now you might not be able to tolerate or gag down post op. I threw away so many prepurchased protien drinks. Save yourself some $ if you have someone who is willing to run to the store for you. Check out stores that have things you can drink for the first couple of phases.

Good luck to you all! I have no regrets besides knowing I should have done this sooner.

All I brought to the hospital was a book (didn't touch it), my cell phone and charger and the clothes to wear home (which were the same I wore there). I wore a maxi dress (long sundress) and it was perfect. Nothing around my tummy at all. While I was hospitalized (overnight), I was pretty drugged up and all I cared to do was sleep. Gas-X they had there. Biotin they had there. Slipper socks they provided me with. There really was not anything I needed that the hospital didn't have, including toothbrush and toothpaste.

I am five days postop today. I have a lot of Clear Liquids on hand and have started my Vitamins. I have sample packets of different kinds of Protein. So far the Nectars have agreed with me the most. easy to Water down and sip. Since my focus is more in hydration than Protein intake right now I sip a lot of watered down juice, which helped get my gastrointestinal function up and running (no pun intended) again.

Honestly I have not needed a lot.

No no no no HEATING PAD!!! Did I say NO to the heating pad! definitely do not want heat on your belly!! Your surgeon would blow a gasket!!! Post op the hospital can give you a hot pack or hot Water bottle for your shoulders or back if gas pain is bad, but not a heating pad in the hospital and DEFINITELY not on your stomach!!! Heat increases blood flow and definitey will not help incision pain or inflammation! Please do not do that...no one...heat is not your friend on you belly after surgery. The only place to even consider it is on your back and shoulders if your having bad gas pains (fortunately mine were bearable) I'm sorry to sound crazy about that, but in the practice I work for we tell people every day, Ice no heat after a procedure and people ALWAYS grab the heating pads and then call to say how bad the pain is!!! UGH!

I LOVED my chap stick...saved my life and I liked my flip flops...easy on and off when i was in and out of bed. Oh and I brought my own robe for walking the halls. I loathe hospital gowns so i also had jammies (2 piece so the docs could peek at my belly if needed and so the leads for the ekg could stay for the day they were on. My cell charger and a fan is a good idea. I had an old cold room mate who always wanted the heat cranked...thank goodness a tech brought me a fan (I didn't even know floors had them...lol) It was wonderful! Oh and the tee shirt I wore in was snug on the way home...my belly was swollen so make sure you bring easy on/off clothes that are loose.

Good luck!!!!

thank you everyone!! im excited and scared at the same time. thanks for all your input! it will help me a lot !! thanks again

Foam ear plugs! I even used them during the day when napping.

I took lots of things, magazine (didn't read), gas x (didn't work), clothes (didn't wear), house slippers (didn't wear they gave me sock slippers). the only useful thing I took and used was my ipod. listening to music was so much nicer than people puking! :D

Kelly