Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blood in my urine - Hoping it's nothing too serious

I was sleeved on Tuesday and other than the first night, my experience has been pretty typical. I started drinkable yogurt and even a little Tomato Soup today and things have been pretty good. My stomach spasms a bit when I sip on Water (strangely, the yogurt went down much more easily), so I just slow down or stop until things settle and resume sipping. I've been feeling pretty much like things would be normal from here on out, but then I had to pee.

And then there was the blood.

I thought that my urine seemed weird for the past couple of days, but it wasn't bloody so I dismissed it. As soon as I saw the blood, I called my doctor and informed him. He's having me come in for a urine test first thing in the morning. He says that it's probably an infection brought to the forefront by this sudden reduction in fluids. I really hope it's just a UTI. I've never had one before, but I'll take that over what I've read about kidney stones. Anyway, fingers crossed people!

If they did a catheter it could be from that as well. When they did my hysterectomy they used one that was too large and actually hurt me. I didn't know it because I was knocked out at the time they put it in, but I did have blood in my urine for a couple weeks afterwards.

I'm glad you're going to your doctor about it. I don't think it's surgery related, like he said, maybe just a UTI.

Hope everything goes well,

Renee`

I will spare you my hematuria (blood in urine) story because it is a. unrelated to the surgery and b. due to a more-rare-than-not cause and I don't want to make you worry. (Kidney stones is the very very simplified explanation.) But know that you have done absolutely the right thing in contacting your doc. S/he will help figure it out, rest assured. As long as you are not having pain, you are probably OK.

I got my labs back. Just a UTI. 6 days of antibiotics, lots of fluids, follow-up urinalysis to clear me. :) Thanks guys!

Good to know, thanks for the update. Hope you are feeling better soon!

Glad to hear it's just a UTI and you've got a course of healing laid out for you. :)

Yeah! I am so glad it was just a UTI! I have been so worried wanting to hear from you and how things are going. Hoping you still give me the all clear :D and had great experiences with Dr. O.

Oh my gosh, StephieLynn I'm sorry! I've been so caught up in feeling better that I forgot to write you back!

Everything went really well with Dr. Ortiz. My surgery was great, no leaks during the leak test, the nurses are attentive, and the staff is very personable. You will stay in the clinic 24-48 hours (depending on what you'd like to do) and then they will have a shuttle take you to the hotel. You are given the cell phone number of one of the doctors in a folder with other information. I used it twice to call my doctor, and on one occasion he called me at my hotel to followup with me. The Marriott is very nice, room service is fast and inexpensive, or you can get meals for free in the restaurant. I never wanted much of anything except Water and popsicles from a corner store by the clinic (and twice I had a teensy bit of the hotel Tomato Soup and apple juice). My first night was really tough. I threw up the entire first night and day, but after that my nausea went away. My husband and I met 5 other people who had the sleeve surgery and all were doing very well. I think I was actually the patient with the toughest recovery. We met a woman from Portland who was sleeved the same day I was. She had a really good time in Mexico. She was able to eat chicken broth and had very little trouble with gas pain. The only negative mark I would give the experience is all of the waiting that you do at the clinic while you're getting your drainage bandages changed each day. Overall, I would have to give OCC an emphatic thumbs up. It was just great.

I am just now seeing your post about the stomach pains and then checked this when I got your email. I am glad to know this can happen but sorry it happened to you. I will pray hard it won't happen to me. :D Glad to know it is a long wait for the drain procedures daily. When you say you were sick all night long, do they not give you anything for nausea or did it just not work?

Oh my gosh, StephieLynn I'm sorry! I've been so caught up in feeling better that I forgot to write you back!

Everything went really well with Dr. Ortiz. My surgery was great, no leaks during the leak test, the nurses are attentive, and the staff is very personable. You will stay in the clinic 24-48 hours (depending on what you'd like to do) and then they will have a shuttle take you to the hotel. You are given the cell phone number of one of the doctors in a folder with other information. I used it twice to call my doctor, and on one occasion he called me at my hotel to followup with me. The Marriott is very nice, room service is fast and inexpensive, or you can get meals for free in the restaurant. I never wanted much of anything except Water and popsicles from a corner store by the clinic (and twice I had a teensy bit of the hotel Tomato Soup and apple juice). My first night was really tough. I threw up the entire first night and day, but after that my nausea went away. My husband and I met 5 other people who had the sleeve surgery and all were doing very well. I think I was actually the patient with the toughest recovery. We met a woman from Portland who was sleeved the same day I was. She had a really good time in Mexico. She was able to eat chicken broth and had very little trouble with gas pain. The only negative mark I would give the experience is all of the waiting that you do at the clinic while you're getting your drainage bandages changed each day. Overall, I would have to give OCC an emphatic thumbs up. It was just great.

I am just now seeing your post about the stomach pains and then checked this when I got your email. I am glad to know this can happen but sorry it happened to you. I will pray hard it won't happen to me. :D Glad to know it is a long wait for the drain procedures daily. When you say you were sick all night long, do they not give you anything for nausea or did it just not work?

They gave me plenty of anti-nausea meds, I was just extra resistant to them. :(