Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Young and overweight!

Hey there!

I am thinking of doing the vertical sleeve surgery, but I think I am too young to do so, well, I am going to be 16 in 3 months, but I want to be thin at that time. I want to start anew life when I am 16 years old. I always feel that I am left out because of my weight. I am 208 albs. I may not look like I am sooo overweight, but I really don't feel good whenever I see my friends. I want to be able to wear skinny pants and show off my body like my friends. I want to be able to wear a bikini with confidence.

I am really asking for help on this topic. Do any of you know a doctor I can talk to? I am currently living in Texas, but I am able to travel anywhere in the US to get this surgery!

This summer I am going to spend it all in California, so please, I beg you all, if you know any good doctor I can talk to, please let me know.

I am kind of desperate trying to lose weight, and what else can I do.

My parents also want to see me lose weight, I already told them that I am thinking about doing this surgery, but they still want to know more about how it is done and how much will it cost!!!

Thank you for your time, this is Lola... bye cool.gifcool.gif

I know this isn't the advice you were looking for but...

I've been overweight my whole life. When I graduated high school I was 199#. I didn't look huge or grossly overweight, I "carried my weight well". I felt the same way you do about my friends. But, I don't think that at the age of 16 you should be doing this surgery. You have no idea how you body will change over the next few years. I know lots of people who were overweight in high school, but their body changed as they grew up more and now, their thin. Believe me, I do understand your desire for this. I'm by no means saying that you need to exercise more, or eat less, or any of that other stuff thin people say to us. Only you know your body and how it works. But I do think that you should wait before having the surgery. Let your body finish growing unto an adult body (& mind) and then if you still feel like you want/need this, have at it.

Wow 16, I wasn't thinking about weight loss surgery when I was 16 I was thinking about getting a license and going to prom. I understand how you feel I have been over weight my entire life but I do feel 16 is just to young to do something this drastic to your still developing body!! If you have a Primary Care Physician I would contact them and speak to them about the way you feel and what you want to do and almost all surgeons won't do surgery unless you are 18 and the process is grueling. I have been working for OVER a year to get my surgery!!

I understand where you are coming from, really I have been considering weight loss surgery since I was about 17. However, it is a lot more difficult to have a surgeon perform any type of bariatric procedure when you are below the age of 18. I second Kayla's suggestion, talk to you Primary Care Physician first. Then I recommend calling your insurance company to see if they cover the sleeve or have your parents call. Some insurances, like mine (UHC), do not perform bariatric surgeries if you are below the age of 18. Get your information. Surf the forum. Find out all you can about the procedure. You might not be able to get it at 16, but in two more years, it might be a possibility. Be prepared.

I really don't think a doctor will do a surgery this drastic on someone as young as you are. . . but hopefully you'll find someone. . . good luck !

I'm sorry Sweetie but I have to agree with everyone else. It is going to be difficult or nearly impossible to find a surgeon who will do this type of surgery on someone your age. You are 16 and your body is still developing. I can sympathize with you on wanting to wear the skinny jeans and bikini but everything will happen in time. Believe me everything that you want to happen will happen when it's supposed to happen. Be patient, listen to your body, don't beat yourself up about what you can or cannot wear or do. I'm sure you're a beautiful young lady and you still have your whole life ahead of you. When you reach 18 and IF you still feel this way I'm sure you will find a surgeon to do your VSG. Please keep reading and on this forum, there are some AWESOME people on here who can help you!! Take very good care of yourself, enjoy your summer and keep in touch! :)

Now I am not encouraging you to do this at such a young age, because you do still have a lot of growing and changing to do. But I did see an 11 or 13 yr old mexican girl who had this surgery done. I was on you tube and she talked about her experience, and how it changed her life. I ran across this while to trying to see what an actual VSG surgery looked like. Maybe seeing her experience will help.

I am 28, and I know most on here will not agree with me, but if I was able to have this surgery at 16 I would have, but that is me. I was obese all my life. And very obese as a teen. I above all know how mean and spiteful people can be including teachers. I remember praying as a little girl, no more than 11 or 12, that I would be skinny. I wanted to wear the cute little clothes, I wanted to be like all my "friends." I just wanted to fit in. And who doesn't at that age.

But I must say that looking back on it I am glad that I had it at 28. I have a wonderful hubby who I know truly loves me for me, I have great kids, and true friends that were here before the skinny me arrived. They all love me for me, nothing has changed becuase I lost weight. I still have my same morals, beliefs, and values. I am still a good person, and I am proud of that.

I hope I did not confuse you with my both sides of the argument thinking.

I truly wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

Thanks to everyone that are telling me how they truly feel about this. I am pretty sure I am too young to do so. I am also afraid because I know that my body is growing and maybe if I extend my exercises, I will lose weight slowly and hopefully, I won't gain it back in a fast way.

But if I can ask you guys, can anyone tell me a good way to excersice because diets are not working for me that much.

Do you guys recommend getting a trainer, like a doctor, or do you guys just recommand something else.

Once again, I want to lose weight the "healthy" way, I don't want to take pills or anything.

&&Thank you again for all your help. I appreciate it all :)

Hey my name is ashli, I'm the same as you, I'm 17 and I have a orentation with my doctors on jul 1st and I'm scared out my mind. Lol. I play volley-ball and basket-ball.I've them all my life and I still can't believe that I 'm as skinney as I want to be. I'm trying to lose weight because its my senior yr and I got an voley-ball scholarship offer and I can't afford to lose it. My advice to you is to be true to yourself and don't give up. My mom always tells me "All good things go to those who wait" and I've waited for a long time and now its my time to shine.. lol.. I hope everything works out for you as much as I pray that it works for me

Hi Lola,

I really don't want to step on your toes or minimize your concerns, so please take whatever I write with the best intentions. At 16 you still have the opportunity to make life changes and stick to them, it won't be easy but you still have the psycial and mental ability to do it! Also, your body isn't fully grown yet and still develping, which is why this is your absolute best time to make these changes. You will need the support of your doctor, personal trainer and dietician and of course your family and friends, You need to brake bad habits and create new, good, ones which you hopefully will be able to carry with you for the rest of your life!

I wish that I hade done the necessary changes and had the full support of my family to do so when I was 16. If I had, I most certainly hope I hadn't had to have this surgery at all, 24 years later. The surgery isn't a quick fix and it is for life, it imposes and forces changes on us that I'm convinced you, at your age, can do on your own!

I wish you the best of luck with the weightloss and I hope so much that you find the right way to do - without surgery at this stage!

Thanks to everyone that are telling me how they truly feel about this. I am pretty sure I am too young to do so. I am also afraid because I know that my body is growing and maybe if I extend my exercises, I will lose weight slowly and hopefully, I won't gain it back in a fast way.

But if I can ask you guys, can anyone tell me a good way to excersice because diets are not working for me that much.

Do you guys recommend getting a trainer, like a doctor, or do you guys just recommand something else.

Once again, I want to lose weight the "healthy" way, I don't want to take pills or anything.

&&Thank you again for all your help. I appreciate it all :)

Your a very smart young lady and you will go far in life. . . well one good thing is getting a little group of friends together and go walking everyday or go to the gym 3 x a week and walk the other 4 days. . . at the gym, start aerobics or join a little class that is doing bodystep, bodypump or zumba (you can learn to dance really good that way too) . . . good luck and your going to do absoluately great! Let us know what your going to do! And as far as the diet thing goes, just watch the junk food. If your going to eat pizza only have 2 slices and no more, do the diet soda but limited and increase the Water. . .drink ALOT of Water at least 64 oz a day. . .you can add crystal light or diet koolaid. . . good luck!

A reputable surgeon will not do WLS on an overweight teen until they are done growing. This can be proven by doing a hand x-ray and examining the growth plates. Are there surgeons out there who will ignore the ethical problem of doing the surgery on a teen and do it anyway? I am positive there is. But getting enough nutritients while still growing is imperative, and no dietary supplement in the world can adequately make up for a nutritious diet at your age....something that, frankly, lacks in the majority of the teen population even when not overweight.

I know it is so so hard being overweight as a teen and i can understand your desperation to get what probably looks like a quicker, easier path. But the truth is, there is still a lot of it riding on you once you have the surgery. You lose big at first, but when the honeymoon period ends and again when you reach maintenance not regaining is all a matter of what choices you make. You can start practicing making better choices now without even worrying about losing weight.. Kind of a dry run for if you want to/get to have surgery after you are done growing. Fruits, exercise (I trick myself into going by saying I am not exercising, just going for a pleasure stroll), vegetables, fats, avoidance of Starbucks and fast foods, etc.

You sound very mature and ready to tackle this and nothing is harder than waiting, even for grown ups. :hug:

Lola, you want to exercise and have fun doing it? Try Martial Arts! You learn how to defend yourself, you get in shape and most of all its a lot of fun depending on the dojo you train in. See if there is an IMB in your area, I know they are in California too so you can look it up for the summer.

I am 5'5 and I can't tell you the feeling of POWER I had the first time I took down a 250lb 6ft tall man! LOL

I would wait until you are 18 before making a final decision on the VSG. For no other reason than your mind and body are still developing.

I just want to thank everyone here that are currently helping me! I want to thank all of you guys who gave me advices on the VSC and how it will effect my life. I also want to thank all of you who told me how to lose weight without any sugary! Thank you again for all the advice and the support. wink.gif

When I start losing weight, I will for sure tell you guys. biggrin.gif

You're the best!!! cool.gif

I just want to say before I go, I hope all of you lose weight quickly and to not gain it back. I wish all of you a happy life and let's all enjoy our lives with pleasure and happiness.laugh.gif

Thanks again, I don't know what I would have done with you guys.

Sincerely, Lola laugh.gif