Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So Much Conflicting info

So I just had my 2 mos follow up after enduring another one week stall :rolleyes:

I am 28 lbs down since surgery. 72 down overall.

So i ask him about Proteins vs carbs etc. He told me not to worry about that, and that I should be eating the least amount of calories a day that fill me up. He said its all about your caloric intake. I am so confused ughhhhhhhh

But after stalling...I will try it. But he told me not to worry and that the weight will come off.

So I just had my 2 mos follow up after enduring another one week stall :rolleyes:

So i ask him about Proteins vs carbs etc. He told me not to worry about that, and that I should be eating the least amount of calories a day that fill me up. He said its all about your caloric intake. I am so confused ughhhhhhhh

But after stalling...I will try it. But he told me not to worry and that the weight will come off.

My doc said the same thing, just make them really good quality carbs, whole grains, greens and veggies, a little fruit... and Protein first!

So he wasnt concerned about how many carbs you were eating? He said that the weight loss all depended on how many calories you were taking in? Ummmm, yes that is contradictory to what we've all been told by our nutritionists.... very interesting! I'll have to ask my dr when I see him.

I think that can be true for some patients, and how they want to lose weight.

I can without a doubt tell you that my body doesn't lose weight by simply restricting calories. I have to restrict carbs to lose, and a carb is a carb in my book. I don't care if it's a piece of fruit, or 6 saltine crackers, it's all sugar to my body, and my body likes to burn that sugar/carbs instead of burning my fat stores.

I am not saying to not listen to your surgeon, every program, every patient is different. I know what works for me, my body and what my goals are/were during my losing stage. I will never be in the group of people that can just restrict calories and lose weight how I want to lose weight. If it were just about calories, then Atkins wouldn't work so smashingly well for 1000s of people.

I am a vegetarian, and that makes it a little harder to restrict carbs, but I defiantly lose weight better on a low glycemic index plan, like Southbeach... where the carbs are lower and I can avoid insulin spiking. Really, it reduces my cravings noticeably and this helps a lot to continue eating the right amount for the right reasons.

This is very conflicting, as I went to the doctors yesterday and he told me three things to worry about...WATER, Protein and EXERCISE, he told me not to stress over calories at all...he said Protein first and then veggies and then I really shouldn't have much room for anything else. I'm to eat 4-5 small meals a day!

This is very conflicting, as I went to the doctors yesterday and he told me three things to worry about...WATER, Protein and EXERCISE, he told me not to stress over calories at all...he said Protein first and then veggies and then I really shouldn't have much room for anything else. I'm to eat 4-5 small meals a day!

He definitely said I need to up my exercise. I dont think he meant neglect protein, but just not to worry about restricting carbs. For instance I love oatmeal and chobani greek yogurts but i dont eat those cuz of the carbs...i am gonna try those for the next week and see what happens...lol

Well, IMO carbs do play *some* role in weight loss. I mean I'm not as hardcore as some folks, but I do watch my carbs to an extent. I will allow healthy carbs in my diet if I can fit in a few more bites if I've eaten all my 3 oz of lean meat and nice serving of green veggie. Things like brown rice or my SaraLee Healthful bread (very high fiber!) or red potatoes... but I really like to keep my total carbs to about 50-60 per day. That's double what most here do, but I think my body still loses really well with this plan. I find a little more carbs keeps my brain more functional and I do get more out of my high intensity workouts when I allow more carbs too.

That said, this simply isn't true for everyone. Some folks really do have to keep their carbs really low to get the most out of their weight loss. Some do well with more. It's just down to each individual and unfortunately that is something all of us have to learn on our roads to goal. Whatever works!

Also, if we are eating healthy we will naturally keep our calories very low. Our sleeves can only hold so much food, and with us not feeling much hunger - we just won't eat that much. In my Quest to reach goal, I am going to count calories, however all this will be with eating healthy in mind.

I mean... I'm not going to eat 1,000 calories in M&M's and expect to lose weight... LOL :)

lmaooo at 1000 cals in m&ms :lol:

Lil Miss Diva. I get you. It's definitely a lot of experimentation and trial and error. I just find that i am stalling like every two weeks or so. Maybe I should stick with what I've been doing and stop looking for a quick fix.

I am only a few weeks out so I am not by any means an expert here so you can take or leave what I have to say...lol.

I am wondering if you losing weight for a couple weeks and then not for a week is just the way your body works with losing weight? I have read on this board that it is not a true "stall" unless you go for 3 weeks without losing. Idk if that is true or not. I have also read about others who lose one week don't lose the next and this is just the way their body works. Maybe that could be the case with you?

lmaooo at 1000 cals in m&ms :lol:

Lil Miss Diva. I get you. It's definitely a lot of experimentation and trial and error. I just find that i am stalling like every two weeks or so. Maybe I should stick with what I've been doing and stop looking for a quick fix.

Yep, like sarsar said - this is true for a great deal many of us here. I tend to not lose and fluctuate during my TOM week. So on a monthly basis for 2 weeks I'll not lose, then for the next 2-3 weeks I'll lose really good (depending on how diligent I'm being).

In my opinion, as long as you're losing every single month then you are doing what you should be doing. :) We'll all get there! Just keep believing and keep it moving!!

I am only a few weeks out so I am not by any means an expert here so you can take or leave what I have to say...lol.

I am wondering if you losing weight for a couple weeks and then not for a week is just the way your body works with losing weight? I have read on this board that it is not a true "stall" unless you go for 3 weeks without losing. Idk if that is true or not. I have also read about others who lose one week don't lose the next and this is just the way their body works. Maybe that could be the case with you?

i really am beginning to think so...everyone's body is truly different

Yep, like sarsar said - this is true for a great deal many of us here. I tend to not lose and fluctuate during my TOM week. So on a monthly basis for 2 weeks I'll not lose, then for the next 2-3 weeks I'll lose really good (depending on how diligent I'm being).

In my opinion, as long as you're losing every single month then you are doing what you should be doing. :) We'll all get there! Just keep believing and keep it moving!!

Thats good to know. Thanks

Hi Samantha, I'm pretty new at this but in my past experiences with diet I found, like several people comented already, that the type of food makes a difference in my weightloss - namely CARBS! For example, I've always had a difficult time loosing with weight watchers even when I followed Portion Control to the letter. The idea of eating whatever I wanted but just moderately would not work for me. Then I figured out that when I left out the carbs I did really well!!! So it's probably that different bodies work slighty differently. For some of us, carbs mess with our metabolism more than others.

Hope you find some answers soon but no matter, congratulations on all you have accomplised already!!!!! You'll get there!!!!

I've been gently rebuked before for posting my thoughts about diet, but I think it's important to remember that every body responds differently, nutritionists have different plans, and what works beautifully for the majority isn't necessarily going to work for everyone. I know we're all on the same Quest, so I Celebrate whatever works for each individual person. For instance, I definitely have more carbs per day than most here, simply because I don't count them. My particular case might be a bit different from most, however, because I have to work to get over 500 calories a day--still, at 8 weeks out!--due to a very small, very picky sleeve. If I get fewer than 500, I don't seem to lose and my energy level and mental focus plummet. So I do drink 8 oz of Gatorade in the morning along with my Water, and I sometimes eat 3 saltines or baked chips at lunch with my Protein, and I eat a few almonds most days. I mean, I don't go crazy with the carbs, but I do eat them daily. I'm having steady weight loss, but again, I have a LOT to lose; maybe as my weight loss slows, I'll rethink the inclusion of carbs, but right now it's working.

Today, for instance, I'm having a Protein Bar for Breakfast since I was craving it: 10 g Protein, 115 calories, 12.5 g carbs/no sugars, 1 g Fiber (this is 1/2 of a Think Thin Brownie Crunch bar). For lunch, grilled fish (probably 2 ounces max) or some boiled shrimp with sauce. Midafternoon, iced coffee with milk and lite Hershey's Syrup. For supper, 2 tablespoons of taco meat and 1 tablespoon of nacho cheese and a few tiny cubes of Tomato and 3 Beanitos (baked chips made from pinto Beans and flax seeds, and completely delicious) to dip. Maybe a few almonds or some melon as an evening snack. And I'm full, happy, and losing weight. As I said, I know this is really different from what most people do, but it's working for me, and I feel good.

Also, I don't mind if I lose more slowly than others, though I don't think I am. I really am not worried about the rate of weight loss, which is a HUGE and pleasant change from my behavior in the past. I want to be thinner, of course, but I also want to feel good, and if I can eat what seems to me to be a satisfying, healthful, acceptable diet, then I'm good.

Cheers!

Meg