Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My port flipped

I had my surgery May 19th. I went for my first fill today. The port flipped and the radiologist was unable to flip it back. He said it was necessary to have surgery to flip it and suture it back into place. This was a first for the radiologist ... has this happened to anyone else?

I know one person who it happened to and it was fixed in a very quick surgery. You need to schedule this with your surgeon to make fills possible.

You may be able to have it corrected without surgery. I've remember reading a post about a year and a half ago about one surgeon, I think it was Dr. Ortiz in Mexico, flip a port back into the correct position using two fill needles without surgery. I guess it all depends on the position of the port.

Best of luck.

Isn't the port stitched to the muscle? I can see it coming loose, but how can it be flipped back into position and stay put?

After nearly a year since my procedure, I went in for weigh-in and visit. At the weigh-in the nurse said I had gained five pounds--and needed a fill.

My port was turned. My Doc tried to turn it over and was not able too. While I have been lucky not to need fills, I decided to take his suggestion and will have it righted--later in August... Somewhere down the line I will probably need it, anyway.

[/url] BTW, it turned out to be Fluid retention (I had been traveling and was still recovering from bad fluid's intake and jet-lag), I wee- wee'd five pounds off that very night....go figure. So, I am merrily back to my schedule/routine and content with every penny I spent.

36_1_33.gif

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb068&pp=ZS

My port flipped three months after surgery had to go in again to the or to get it repaired under sedation not general just in twilight zone was kind of mad cuz followed everything to the tee just unlucky fixed it and it has been fine ever since have gotten like 5 fills it is just an inconvience but you have to fix it to get the fills so you are stuck. a necessary evil I guess.

Hi! Like flower my port also flipped shortly after surgery. My doc was unable to access it & I had to have a outpatient procedure to correct it. I was self-pay & it cost me $500 or $600. There was really no recovery with this procedure compared to the actual lap band surgery. At the time it seemed like a really big thing to me. Now it just seems like a bump in the road on this long journey I have been on. Good luck to you! Don't stress too much over this. It's a easy repair.

Hi, this is Joyce, I had surgery the same day you did in mexico. remember Lindsey from ga. and her grandmother. Her mother Michelle was with us. Have you had your port fixed and how much weight have you lost. I've lost 29 lbs. and Lindsey has lost 17 lbs. would like to hear from you.

JOYCIE (I love how the Mexican's said your name) ha ha

It is SO wonderful to hear from you!! I have e-mailed Michelle and Lindsey, but they have not responded? I am so happy to hear you are doing so well! I was doing really well until my port flipped...of all the rotten luck!! Despite my bad luck, I have also lost 29 lbs. I see my Doctor tomorrow, so hopefully they have found a surgeon to flip the port back and sew it into place (I really don't want to go back to Mexico unless it's to go lay on a beach with a margarita in my hand). I will keep you posted. Congratulations to you on your 29 lbs....great work! Please give my best to Michelle & Lindsey....congratulate Lindsey for me on her 17 lb loss. Have either of you had a fill yet? Keep in touch :)

Your Canadian friend,

Leilani

Hi This Is Joycie Again. Did You Go To The Dr? What Did He Do Or Say. Have You Got A Fill Yet. I Haven't But I Really Think I Need One.

I am a flipper... :) Mine flipped sometime in Jan or Feb. I had it stiched back in March as outpatient and it was no biggie it at all. It happens and no how perfect you are with the band it's a chance we take getting the band. My doc could have accessed it under fluro for each fill but it was just easier to get fixed.

Good Luck!!!!

I see those whose ports flipped had theirs reversed. My Dr. said there was no problem leaving it flipped :help: ????????????

I guess you don't have to have it flipped back but the doc can't do fills in the office. My doc could access mine when he pushed my stomach a certin way but we would have always had to do it under fluro. I didn't want to mess with that each time so we did it. Besides now I have insurance that don't cover the band.:faint: But I work for the doc now. So I guess it's ok.

If you want it flipped back I would say tell your surgeon it's not a big process.

Good Luck. :huggie:

Are there any "symptoms" of a flipped port? Was there pain or discomfort? Or did you just discover the flippin thing during your fill appointment?

I hope someone answers this becasue a few nights ago I woke up with terrible abdominal pain that went all the way to my back. I now notice that my port does not feel the way it has in the past. I go for my 1st fill next week.