Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for a good doctor.

I have been told that a plastic surgeon will not touch me until I am one year out (after LBand surgery). I am glad to see others were able to have it before then.

I am looking for a doctor now.

I need apron surgery and breast reduction.

I want to get it before I cancel my ins. and go back on my husband's, as my ins is expensive, but appears to cover everything as long as it is deemed medically nessec.

I have wanted BR surgery for YEARS - like 20 years. Didn't need apron surgery until I gained all this weight in the past 4 years.

The rashes etc, hopefully will be enough for the apron surgery.

Rashes, back pain, shoulder pain and bruises should be enough for the BR surgery.

Won't know until I find a doctor that can submit the request and get me taken care of.

Thanks for any feed back or reality checks I may be in need of!!

-Melanie

Hi MelAnne-I have no idea where you're located, but I had a fantastic surgeon for my breast reduction and lift 2 1/2 years ago. Dr. Grant Stevens in Marina Del Rey (west Los Angeles area). His site is www.laserbra.com He was able to write a letter re. medical necessity for me and my surgery was at that time the largest reduction he completed (12 pounds removed talking me from a J (yes, J) to a full C/D). Many patients fly in for the surgery because of his expertise. I did a lot of research before choosing him and couldn't be happier with the decision. If you have any questions, let me know. Kelli

Kelli,

I've seen that laserbra site before and been very interested in that procedure.

I was wondering if you would mind sharing the cost for your procedure? If not it's understandable, I just try and get cost info from as many people as possible so I can see what I'm up against when that time comes :grouphug:

If you cannot find someone under your insurance, or if insurance will not cover it, I would suggest giving Dr. Cardenas a try. He is in Monterrey Mexico, and deals with mostly weight loss patients. He is amazing at what he does, and takes more time and consideration than any other doc I have met. I did not have my apron removed, but it was because of his care and consideration, and the fact that he actually looks at each patient case individually and with great depth and care. the price is also about 1/4 to 1/3 of what the surgery would cost here in america. If you want his info, just pm me. He is definitely who I will be going back to after I have lost some weight to finally get the apron done. I will also be going to him when I have reached goal to have a total body lift done (boobs, back, hips, legs, butt, arms and tummy)

Several phone calls, and several conversations later - I have an appt with a doctor Friday !!!! July 14th.

Breast reduction should not be a problem, the apron surgery is more then likely going to be a fight with the ins.

I did not know apron surgery was the same as Tummy Tuck.< /p>

Apron surgery and a Tummy Tuck arent exactly the same. A tummy tuck, a full abdomniplasty (sp?), involves them tightening up the stomach muscle wall and removing excess skin and fat. An apron surgery is just the removal of the excess skin and fat.

Hey, I see you're from Houston....I had a great doctor who did my breast reduction there in Houston. I don't live there but i don't use the doctors in my little town either. I went to Dr. Shusterman in Houston. He was great and his staff were wonderful. I went from a 42 H to a 42 D and I am loving it. I did it 3 years ago before I had the lap band done. Anyway they were all great.

weight.png

First and foremost - Thank you all for your replies and insight!!

My appt. went well, we will do the breast reduction but refuses to touch my tummy until I loose all my weight. 30 to 40 more pounds!

Gotta respect a doctor who stands his ground.

He will be taking me from a 42DD to a small C/large B - therefore with all weight loss I will end up large to small B.

Now I am worried. After so many years of being so large, I have no true idea or concept of what a large or small anything is or will look like.

He mentioned that if we go to a small B I will not look right.

He will be doing a free something or other, as he will have to totally remove the nipples and replace them back on my breasts. He said I would definately loose all feeling or sensativity in the nipples.

I have read other's posts and some loose the sensativity and some do not.

Can anyone shed some light on my foggy mind on all of this.

I want it so bad, and have wanted it for so long, that I am now seeing I better know for sure about the sizes as I really do not want to look like a freak, I am working too hard to get my body into shape, I don't want to screw this up on top of it all.

I have wanted breast reduction surgery since I was a teenager. I finally have insur. that will cover it. Ins. changes in October so I have to get it approved and done b4 it changes.

Thank you again for all the insight and wisdom!!!

-Melanie

Ok, I am sorry if I give too much information here. I had reduction surgery 20 years ago, when I was 19 (and need to have it done again). Back then I weighed 140 pounds and was also in a J cup. My nipples had to be cut off and sewn back on. I did lose all sensation in them. My ex-husband was not very savvy in bed, and I really mourned the loss of feeling there, because that seemed to be his only area of focus and I felt like I was missing out and really did not enjoy intimacy with him. We divorced in 1999 and I am now married to the most wonderful, sensitive man in the world. Being a man, he does enjoy playing with the breasts. However, he also understands that I have a lack of feeling in them and do not find attention to them to be very erotic. Therefore, he has found other spots on my body that are very erotic and I had never thought of prior to him. Since being with him, I no longer feel the need to mourn my lost of sensitivity in my nipples because he has awakened so many new areas. I guess what I am saying is, make sure the person you are with understands this loss and that you are open with them and find those new areas that will bring you pleasure.

One final note, your back will feel so much better after the reduction, that it is 100% worth having the surgery.

Hi MelAnne. Before you do a free nipple graft, you might want to check out more info on the boards at www.breasthealthonline.com. Fabulous group as far as info and support for patients having breast reduction. Was a great support to me when I was researching surgeons and procedures. My BR was the most tissue my surgeon had removed and lifted at that time (> 12 pounds and you can only imagine the centimeters lifted) and he didn't have to use FNG. My surgeon was fantastic...very well respected in the field... and is not a fan of the FNG. It might be worth checking out more info. Whatever you do, best of luck. It was the best decision I ever made. I wish I would've done it a decade earlier. Kelli

Hi Melanie. I had a breast reduction about 6 years ago before my lapband. My doctor also said that I may lose sensation but my therory was that I didn't have much anyway due to all of the excess tissue. My breast at that point were a major irritation to me. The only regret that I have is that I didn't do it 20 years earlier. Even way back when I wore a size 7 jeans I wore a 38DD bra.

The doctor that did my daughters when she was 14 did a FNG and she still has sensation. She should consider another one, which he said could happen because she had it done at such a young age and was still growing.

Good luck, you'll be glad you did it.