Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've filled my DVR with shows to watch, have Jello and chicken broth. Is there anything else I'm going to wish I had post-op? Thanks!

I had AGB surgery, but on some level lap surgery is lap surgery. Here's what helped me the most:

• Recliner! It was a solid 4 - 5 days before I could comfortably get into bed, and even then I had to be careful and support my abdomen with a pillow. It was about 2 weeks before I could sleep "normal" (I'm a side sleeper, and was quite overweight -- my pannus & stomach shifting to the side "pulled" on my primary incision (for AGB, this is the incision they use to insert all the silicone parts and it is quite larger than the rest) something terrible). Having a recliner by the tv to sit/sleep in was soooo nice.
  • I don't know when you start with the Protein supplements, but find a powder/source you like before your surgery and have it ready. I know a lot of people wait until after surgery for this, and then have a hard time finding one they enjoy.
  • If you use a laptop or netbook, have it handy.
  • An extra pillow helps. Have it with you when you head home from surgery - it can help stabilize you during road bumps, and can also help during the first few days of recovery.
  • Whatever your food progression looks like, I would recommend having about 2 weeks' worth of it on hand. It may take a while before you're ready to hit the store. I went for a very slow walk the eve of my 2nd day, but it was not pretty. Good thing Target is fairly empty late at night. :)
  • If you're able to use them, a heating pad may help alleviate any discomfort that your pain meds can't take care of.
  • If you're a "virgin" to bariatrics, you may find it helpful to use baby utensils to moderate your intake, even for things like Water. Trust me, how we chew & swallow is COMPLETELY habit. Most people don't realize how little they chew, and how much they swallow. The first time I could have something that needed to be chewed, I was amazed at how much I had to fight the urge to swallow just 2 or 3 bites into it. You will have to be very careful & very thoughtful. Sipping Water from a baby spoon will really help moderate "sips" until you are more comfortable with doing it on your own. Same when you're able to progress to something like a Soup or yogurt. Baby plates or saucers also help with the mental side of it -- looks like more food on a small plate than large.

Both of my parents had AGB after I did, and I made each of them a care basket to being to the hospital. I included some creature comforts like oversized cotton pajamas, memory foam slippers, etc. liquid Tylenol, liquid ibuprofen. Jello, freezer pops. Baby spoons/forks/plates and even a sippy cup (don't laugh it works wonders). :) Drink mixes. Electric blanket (it didn't take too much weightloss to reach the "perpetually cold" state that never has gone away). Etc.

Different surgeries, but HTH.

Without a doubt, for me the most helpful tip for post op preparation was freezing Soup in ice cube trays. I made some homemade soup and I also used canned soup. 2 0r 3 cubes = 2 0unces...pop it in the micowave for 30 secs and there is nothing to clean up but the bowl and spoon. This also was great for when friends/family came over to help me, it was easy for them to prepare for me. I am 30 days post op and I still use the ice cube trays because it's easy and I don't have to waste food...I can freeze it for another day. Good luck!!!

I've filled my DVR with shows to watch, have Jello and chicken broth. Is there anything else I'm going to wish I had post-op? Thanks!

Good advice so far and I lived in a recliner for about the first week. Heating pad, oh yes that was really good too. How about adding in G2 gatorade or Power Zero drinks to sip often at room tempature from a small glass. Cold made my stomach ache. These will help you keep hydrated well. Used a kitchen timer to make sure I was sipping every 15 minutes. Really important to your health to stay hydrated. Wear really loose clothing with a draw string pants to go home in. Slip on non skid shoes. A shirt you do not have to pull on over your head. Hook in front bra. Do you have sleeve post op instructions printed out from your surgeon? I read a lot about my sleeve that first week. Google VSG diet plan. Cornell has a good one along with many others.

I do not recommend having a lot of protien on hand since your tastes change after surgery. I threw away hundreds of dollars of Protein that I could not gag down. So maybe something for a week and then you can explore. Personally did not worry about Protein intake for the first week and then slowly worked up to goal of 70 grams. Isopure clear 40gram protein from GNC, apple melon only was my final choice.

Did you know there is a thread on here of what other people recommend. Check it out at http://www.verticals...surgery-thread/

Nikki, good luck to you. I should have filled up my DVR first like you.