Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

seems like this is going to take FOREVER

So once again I'm feeling like waiting for my surgery date is going to take forever... oh, and get this: I have 15 more doctor's (and other) appointments before I get there. I have an appt today with my pcp, a pulmonary function test tomorrow, echocardiogram on Thursday. Then next week it's meet with the Nurse Practioner, the Psychologist and the Exercise Physiologist on Monday. sleep study Monday night to make sure I don't have sleep apnea. Tuesday is my EGD procedure which I am totally not looking forward to. Then Wednesday and Thursday back to the cardiologist for stress tests. June 29th I should finally get my ok from the cardiologist. July 1st is my last meeting with the Pulmonologist. Then throughout July I have 4 more nutrition classes. I meet with the Endocrinologist August 2nd and then my surgery is scheduled for August 9th. And OMG just typing this made me tired!!!!!

Did anyone else with Aetna insurance have to go through all of this nonsense???? I keep thinking they're going to miss some weird requirement and my surgery will be postponed. ugh.

Can anyone share their outrageous experience with the pre-op stuff?

I'm sure it will lift my spirits. - and thank you :)

I think it all depends. I have to do: Psychological Evaluation, Nutrition Consult (my surgeon requires going to a nutritional class before the consult), and 6 Consecutive Months of Weight Management (which includes bloodwork). So that is 10 total appointments so far for me. I guess they don't realize that we have jobs haha. My sister in law had hers done in Texas through Aetna and she only needed 4 months w a nutritionist and psych. I guess it all just depends.

I just keep reminding myself that the end me will be psychologically and physically better to handle the surgery and afterwards with all of these appointments. Good luck!!!!

So far I've had 21 appointments:

1 seminar

1 surgeon

5 primary (1 more to go 6/20)

3 dietician (1 more scheduled for 6/15)

1 Gastroenterologist

1 Breathe test

1 Endoscopy

1 Pulmonologist

2 sleep studies

2 Cardiologist

1 Stress test and EKG

2 Psychologist

This doesn't count pre-op appointments with the Surgeon, Chest Xray and whatever else is needed once I get surgery approval.

I guess it depends on your insurance and/or Surgeon's requirements. (I have Cigna Open Access.)

It's a lot of hoop jumping but worth it.

I think a lot has to do with insurance and another big chunk is specific surgeon/bariatric programs requirements.

Oh that's right I forgot about the seminar. I did mine online and took a test. I also had my initial consultation that I forgot to count. I'm so jealous of the other posts regarding surgery dates being received. Will keep an eye on your posts maybe we will have our surgery dates around the same time!

We will be there before we know it! It IS worth it (:

That is an awful lot of tests, but like others said- most of it depends on your surgeon. Aetna does not require all of those tests. If you go to their policy bulletin, it states what they look for to do the approval. The EKG, stress tests, cardiologist, EGD's, are all for your surgeon to know what medical issues he needs to be aware of before doing your surgery. I only had to do the EGD, Psych Eval, 1 visit w/the PCP and 1 visit w/the Nutritionist to get approval. And, I thought that was a lot until I see your list.

I'm really surprised you have a surgery date if you aren't even ready to be submitted for the insurance approval. How does that work?

I have Aetna also, my tests were as follows :

6 months nutritionists

psych eval

2 sleep tests (the first one i did not sleep enough with the cpap machine on)

primary care visits

appointment with surgeon and fitness counselor at surgeons office

blood tests

after these appointments i was approved and have 5 "pre op testing visits" and thats it.

I have BCBS - I think many insurers have you jump through a lot of hoops.

Lets see for me this started in February

Seminar

Doctor vets insurance - which was nice

initial appointment - my doc likes to get as much in as possible on this first big visit: Nurtition counseling, surgical consult, psych eval, EKG.

I have to do 6 months of medically supervised WL - I have my first month check in Friday (nervous - of course it is pms week and I want to eat everything in sight lol.)

sleep study appt #1 on Friday as well - If I have sleep apnea i spend saturday night as well.

Still to come is:

the big lab work

Arterial blood gases

endoscopy

Five more months of WL (if I have a loss each month that is)

My nutritionist said that if all goes well with the diet program, my last appt will be toward the end of November, that it takes about a month for the approval - so I am looking at just after the first of next year for my surgery. I am envious of folks that seem to get their sleeve so quickly!

I thought I had it bad but Cigna has been a breeze compared to the ones I have read here. I am so grateful for my insurance and for doing this now, if I wait for "Obamacare-2014" I would not be able to get healthy with this type of surgery and committment.

It will be a year for me with the hoops I went through. Just keep doing what they ask you to do, your turn will come.

Try not to let it drive your crazy.

I too am jealous of those that can get it done without the supervised weight lose. Somehow that seems funny to me that you go on a WL program to have WLS, seems like the INS is proponing the inevitable. I guess that is why the INS companies make the big bucks. I am grateful for them counting the 3 months I have been seeing my PCP as superivsed weigth lose otherwise, I too would be doing the 6 months and not having surgery till Christmas. That would be a great Christmas Gift to me, a new life, a new healthy life.

Please lets keep tabs on each other and be supportive of each other since we are close on the same surgery path. :rolleyes:

I have BCBS - I think many insurers have you jump through a lot of hoops.

Lets see for me this started in February

Seminar

Doctor vets insurance - which was nice

initial appointment - my doc likes to get as much in as possible on this first big visit: Nurtition counseling, surgical consult, psych eval, EKG.

I have to do 6 months of medically supervised WL - I have my first month check in Friday (nervous - of course it is pms week and I want to eat everything in sight lol.)

sleep study appt #1 on Friday as well - If I have sleep apnea i spend saturday night as well.

Still to come is:

the big lab work

Arterial blood gases

endoscopy

Five more months of WL (if I have a loss each month that is)

My nutritionist said that if all goes well with the diet program, my last appt will be toward the end of November, that it takes about a month for the approval - so I am looking at just after the first of next year for my surgery. I am envious of folks that seem to get their sleeve so quickly!

It is not all bad, at least you have a surgery date. I have to wait until my last appointment for the info to be submitted to the ins company. I am hoping for a quick turn around and a mid-late July date.