Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Conparable surgery pain

Hi!

I am having my sleeve on June 21. Super excited to start the new chapter in my life! I am wondering though how I will feel after surgery. I will be in patient and will be staying 2 nights. How will I feel after the 2nd day? For comparasion I have had my Gallbladder out, have also had laparoscopy for exploratory reasons and have had a kidney stone which had to be surgically removed.

So with that said. How will the pain compare??? How soon after your procedure were you able to be up and around, walking and such? I want to get right back to walking as much as possible. I walk 2-3 miles a day now. Thanks!!!!

I would like to know to as I had my gallbladder removed as well. Congrats Mana on your impending surgery. I'm excited for you!!!

I'm also curious to know the answer to this question. I'm having surgery july 27th, and i've also had gallbladder removed and 2 other various laproscopic surgeries... Good question! :)

For me, I did not have any surgical pain. My pain was GAS PAIN!! That is NO JOKE!! For 3 days, I was miserable. And let me tell you, nothing made it better. Not walking, sitting up straight, GasX, NOTHING!! I couldn't burp or fart. I was miserable!

I didn't take any pain meds after leaving the hospital because my pain was gas and the pain meds didn't help that! When that went away, I felt fine. About a week after surgery, I was really sore. Like I had done a really intese ab workout. My obliques and abs were sore for about 2 weeks, but no real pain.

I did sneeze one day and pulled a stitch. That kind of hurt about 3 weeks out. But, it went away a few days later.

They say this surgery is merely painless because the stomach doesn't have nerves in it like your finger or nose, so it doesn't really hurt!

Good luck to you!

Kelly ;)

I wonder how many VSG'ers have had their gallbladder removed prior to their surgery? I bet they'll have tremendous insight!

Hi there. Congrats on your upcoming surgery. I want to stress that everyone's experience is very different. I was scheduled for 1 night inpatient and ended up there for 5 nights. I could not get any fluids in at all. I had spinal cord surgery last year and I think this is a bit worse, but in different ways. I was just sleeved on 6/6/11 and already starting to feel a bit better. I am sure your experience will be good, and even if there are bumps in the road, you will be able to overcome them!!! Good luck!

I had very little post-op pain, and zero gas pain at all. I had a sore belly for a day or so, and was quite nauseated the first 2-3 days, but I wasn't really even miserable at all. Never had buyer's remorse for even a minute. I've had open surgery before, and that was much harder a recovery.

I agree that people's experiences vary with this. Before my surgery I read a lot of people's posts about having no pain after surgery and yet that wasn't my experience. I woke up in recovery in pain (about a 9 on a 1-10 scale) and they had to sock the medicine to me to get it to subside. Now I'm home and 7 days out and I still have trouble getting out of chairs, the bed, etc. The incision spots are where my pain is. I even went to see my surgeon and he says it's normal. It does seem to get a little better each day, but I had hoped I would have bounced back quicker than this. I admit to taking no pain meds since the hospital because I hate the way they make me feel. I thought I'd just tough it out. I an a former marine and police officer. I do not have a low pain tolerance. I hope yours goes better than that. I know mine will heal soon, I am just an active person and I hate being tied down to something like this. Good luck to you!

Note: I've never had any kind of surgery before and it surprised me that it took me down like that. I also want to say I have no remorse about my surgery and would do it again!I'm 34 lbs down from pre-op diet weight!

Thank you! Congrats to all of you too. I know I have read many different experiences from horror stories to easy peasy. I would be happy to just be in between! lol.

I really appreciate the feedback. It will be interesting to see how it does compare to gallbladder surgery... I know for me after gallbladder surgery I was sore, the worse was the nausea from anesthesia. I felt like I had done 1000 sit ups, but it was manageable!

I haven't had surgery yet either....will June 23. So this was something that I was curious about too. I know when I had my gallbladder out 3 years ago, really the only thing that was very painful to me were the incisions. I hope that this is the same. :blink: Soon to find out!

I was up and trying to walk about two hours after coming out of recovery. A word to the wise: that's too soon! I remembered everything I'd read saying "walk walk walk" (and let's face it, I was still pretty out of it). It took two nurses to help me get up, and then I took about three steps and got nauseous. Sat down in the armchair in my room and started falling back to sleep, LOL.

Anyway, was able to get up and walk for real the next morning. No nausea and not much pain. I had someone with me and you will probably need someone to grab hands with so they can kind of pull you up - I was way too sore to just sit up on my own. But it wasn't awful pain, just soreness.

Two weeks later I still have to sort of roll sideways to get out of bed because I'm a bit sore, but it's no biggie. Walking is fine, it's really lifting, as someone else said. Yesterday I carried two grocery bags home and it turns out they were too heavy because I am really ouchy today. Not a good feeling, so be careful not to push too hard too soon! good luck :D

Thank you! Any info is always helpful! I will TRY not to overdo it ;)

Ok, I had my preop appt yesterday and asked the surgeon this question. His response was it will be similar to Gallbladder surgery pain wise. That is a comfor to me. I remember the first day being really nausiated from the anesthesia but after that just sore like, doing 1000 sit ups sore! :lol: That is a relief! He also said that the risks of complications are VERY limited. Getting excited!!!

2 days out and my incisions on the right side hurt like helll. Sharp shooting pain. Gas pain too. All and all this sucks, but I am not hungry! So if it takes a few weeks to feel like i did too many crunhes oh well! FAT NO MORE! I have a hard time even wiping myself after the bathroom. I haven't cried because there is relief when I am in bed, but moving...walking...wish I didn't have to.

I guess like some say its different for everyone. Plus I'm sure some people have a higher pain tolerance than others. I think my pain tolerance is pretty high. I've had 3 c- sections, appendex, tonsils, gallbladder and huge ovarian cyst (removed ovary, the size of a football during my last pregnancy). I will say having tonsils out at 34 almost killed me. But as far pain in the tummy area the ovarian cyst removal was the wrost. So I'm hoping this will not be much pain. Or at least tolerable. I never had the gas pains after my gallblader surgery like alot of people told me about. I was up walking as soon as I could. I think moving around is the best for any surgery. It helps work out the soreness. Anyway, that is my plan.

Great question, I'm glad you asked it.