Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lessons learned--My 8th-week surgiversary

Hey fellow sleevers,

Today is my 8-week surgiversary. I have lost 42 pounds and still have a lot to go. But I have gone from a size 26/28 to a size 20 on the top and 22 on the bottom. My shoe size has gone down from a 12W to an 11-1/2 normal width (I'm 6'2", and my mom used to say that if I had smaller feet, I'd blow over in a high wind, LOL). I made my first purchase from the “regular” size women’s clothing section the other day—an XL T-shirt that fits beautifully (yes, it’s stretchy!).

I have learned how to eat—what to eat, how much, and when. I have also, through repeated trial and error, learned how NOT to eat—fast, thoughtlessly, without a PPI on board, with a beverage, one bite past satisfaction. I have found Protein sources that work and that I enjoy. I have learned the importance of being disciplined about taking medication and Vitamins. I have learned that my scale will eventually move again and in the right direction. :rolleyes:

I have eaten out numerous times and have found sleeve-friendly food everywhere; it may not be the precise thing I was craving, but I can eat in public with friends and/or family. My goals have changed. My mother-in-law, after watching me eat 3 shrimp for lunch yesterday at a local seafood restaurant, asked me, “Are you full?” I said yes. She then asked the more important question, “But are you satisfied?” I said yes and was happy to realize that I was, indeed. Food is no longer my drug of choice, nor is it at the center of my decisions. What I enjoy about eating out has changed; now, I really focus on my companions, on the conversation, on enjoying the smells and texture and all the elements of the food. I have given up quantity for quality. In the beginning, I really wasn’t happy about being forced to do so—but I knew that’s what this surgery meant. I awoke from surgery with a serious case of buyer’s remorse. Today I know that I would do it again, because I honestly believe it is the only way I would ever be able to lose the weight that was threatening my health and my long-term happiness.

I know a lot of us got into our overweight status for a variety of reasons—inactivity due to physical limitation, thyroid issues, pregnancy, emotional or binge eating. For me, one of the big triggers was fear; I was sexually abused as a child and I wore my “fat suit” sort of like a suit of armor—let’s face it, fat people are invisible in our society, unless someone just wants a handy target to say something ugly to. For decades, I wore my protection on the outside because of fear on the inside. I worked with a therapist last summer because I didn’t want to continually be a victim of my childhood trauma. I changed on the inside. Having this surgery done is an affirmation of that change, getting rid of the “fat suit” and allowing me to be me, strong enough and capable enough to deal with whatever comes along, able to trust and love and relax. The sleeve is helping me become on the outside what I already am on the inside, and that is satisfying in a way that food can't touch.

Cheers to my fellow 4/18 sleevers, and a happy next 8 weeks to everyone.

Meg

Hi Meg, I'm glad you're doing really well. I'm a week behind you and haven't had as great of an experience as you. I struggle everyday to get food in w/out being nauseous but step by step, right? It's nice to hear how the other April sleevers are doing and I'm happy to hear you're doing great! Keep rockin your sleeve!!!

You are awesome, Meg!!! Don't ever forget that!

You are an amazing person, Meg, with an incredible resiliency and vitality. You are an inspiration. Thank you for posting a little about your story.

The "fat suit" part and wanting the outside to finally fit the inside that we've worked so hard to fix is so true for me too. I am looking forward to the day people will finally see me the way I see myself. Thanks for sharing that.

Thank you so much for posting your thoughts at 8 weeks out! I'm dragging my feet about getting revised from a crapband and reading your positive remarks is soothing on my nerves! Congrats and keep on losin'!

Congrats on your success so far Meg, and thanks for sharing your thoughts at this point in your journey! It's very inspiring to read that you are making changes for your health, but also for your emotional and mental health. You are doing great!

:)