Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

My name is Liz and live in Tacoma WA. I haven't had the surgery for the lapband but I'm going to be. I have to go to a "weightloss seminar" tomorrow from 6-8 pm before I can even set up an appointment with the doctor. Which to me seems weird. But whatever it takes I'm willing to do. I'm tired of being "fat" I've tried weight watchers and it did work but then of course as soon as I stopped I gained the weight back plus 30 more pounds. Plus I've tried other diets, and diet pills, phentermine (Fen-Phen) I lost 40lbs with them but gained it all back once I stopped taking it. Right now I weigh the most I've ever weighed in my life. It was so depressing and shocking at the same time when I got on the scale and saw the numbers 250.4 I couldn't believe it. I'm 5'5 and I don't have small bones. I look really good at 170 you be surprised because of the way that I carry my weight I fit into size 14's when I weigh 170. Boy it does feel better now that I've typed out how much I weigh. I know that everybody who sees this is going to be able to relate to me. I have a wonderful husband of 15 years on July 20th and 3 daughters. My oldest will be 19 on the 8th of this month, and I have a 13 yr old who'll be 14 in February and then my youngest is gong to be 12 on the 20th of this month. Oh and I have 2 pitbull doggies. That's enough about me. Nice talking to ya.

jstbginin (Liz) :clap2:

I hope you are ready for a long journey. First comes the seminar, and than the dr. is going to have a huge list for you to complete (most likely, because you are in the states). I have been in the process of getting things done the better part of a yr. You need documentation of weight loss (how long depends on the lap band dr.), you need a sleep study and a psych eval, along with blood work, an EKG and various other things. Please, by all means, jump through the hoops. It is so worth it to find out if there are any other medical problems before getting banded.

Enjoy the trip and don't get frustrated.

God Bless,

Dody

Hi Dody,

Thanks for the reply. First of all I read somewhere that if your taking hormones you have to stop taking them a month before the surgery do you know if that is true or not?? Because if it is I'm going to go crazy for that month I take hormones because I've had a total hysterectomy. Then I do take pain medication for my back I have degenerative disk disease at L5 S1. Then I take meds for depression. So do you know any idea about any problems with any of the conditions or meds that I take that they might decline me for a canidate for surgery? Any info helps. Thanks and I totally lost track of time on the day of the seminar and when I finally asked what time it was it was 6:30 :cry So I have to reschedule.

Thanks

jstbginin

Hey there,

I'm going to a seminar tomorrow too. I guess this is just the "done" thing with this surgery. I still haven't quite made up my mind that I can afford it (I'll be self-pay). But I figure going to the seminar can't hurt.

Hi Kutia,

I just registered to go to another seminar since I missed the last one that I had registered to go to. At any rate, I'm excited my daughter is going to come with me because I didnt' want to go by myself. I know what ya mean about the price. I'm very very fortunate that my dad is going to pay for it. The franciscan health system has a package deal that includes the surgery, hospital, and the anesthesiologist fees for $12,500. I've been looking and researching the lapband procedure for about a year and a half to two years and the average price that I was finding locally was around $17,000 - $18,000 thousand dollars. So when I was at my doctors for an appointment there were these brochurse from Northwest Center for Weight Managerment. Needless to say I was very excited. I do know that alot of people have had great success stories from going to Mexico and having the procedure done and somewhere I saw a posting from somebody who said that is cost $9,000 but I don't know if that included airfare and hotel etc. Well you'll have to let me know how the meeting goes and I'll let you know how mine goes. Where do you live? I live in Tacoma WA.

Thanks

jstbginin (Liz):)

Hey Liz-

I am in Bremerton! I was banded in MX and paid $8950 and would do it again. It included everything but airfare and prescription. My tickets were under $300 and the pain meds were $10, but liquid Tylenol would be as effective.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, or are interested in a local band bud.

Lots of luck on your journey!

Brenda

Liz - If you elect to go to MX, have your aftercare and fill doctors lined up before you go. Some docs won't help you and that's not a good thing to find out when you are in distress.

As Dody said, your doc may have a list of things for you to do, but if you are self pay, the list may be a lot shorter. I didn't have to do anything except fill out a questionaire.

Best of luck and keep posting.

Hi there Liz!!! Love your name..lol---Your surgery time will be here before you know it. It seemed like it took forever to get the ball rolling for me but I was done and banded in a couple of months. It does go quite a bit faster if you are self-pay but by all means try to get your insurance to pay if it is possible. Mine wouldn't so I went to Mexico and paid $8,500 with Dr.Ortiz and have no regrets. Keep your chin up and know that you are embarking on a great journey that will get the weight off and KEEP IT OFF for good!! Good luck to you! :)

~Liz~

banded 03/10/06

241/192/150

5'7''

Well I went to the seminar yesterday. It was very nice. Low pressure, very imformative. They compared the Lap-Band to two other types that are more invasive. I was a little disappointed that the doctor wasn't there. I mean, if I'm going to let this guy cut me open (even laproscopically) then I'd like to meet him. His nurse was there and she gave the medical part of the presentation. Of course I had my own medical person with me (my mom is a nurse) so I know she wasn't just candy coating everything. There was also a psychologist type and a former patient. The nurse had the band too.

I was suitably impressed. Still worried about the money though. I had an interview for a part-time job this past week. If I get that job I'll get banded. If not........well I probably still will, I'll just have to borrow the money from my parents.

I went to a seminar, too. When I thought I had decided what surgical center to use, I made an appointment. I talked to the nutritionist (also banded) and spent time with the doctor. Cost me $200 up front. That was OK with me. I was taking up their time for my research. When I did pay, they deducted the $200.

Hello Everyone!

I am glad I found you! I am a newbie to the site, as well as to the entire Lap Band procedure. I will be attending my seminar Tuesday evening and can't wait. I have researched a lot (feels like I have been to every site on the internet) and think I am definately going to go with the Band. I will be private pay (self-pay); my insurance has that darn exclusion clause. My company is in the middle of an aquisition so I am trying to use up all my sick time before I lose it. I am hoping to have everything in place and "surgerized" before September 1. I know this is VERY fast, but I hope being private pay helps my cause and enables me to get through the hoops a little faster.

I do suffer from depression (under control with daily antidepressants). Have you heard anything about antidepresants that would exclude me from surgery?

Looking forward to "our" future together. Hang in there and we can all get through this together!

Until later,

Steph

Good Luck in your journey to getting the band and there after as well!! Welcome to LBT!!! Keep us posted on your progress and when your upcoming surgery date will be !! Wishing you success in whatever you decide!!!!

Hi Liz, I too am a newbie to this. I watched the seminar on my laptop...lol...4 times!!! My sis had gastric bypass...which is not my thing, so I am vaguely familiar with how it goes. Banding is more my speed. Not to mention, the weight loss is longer -which is better for me. I too have three kids, daughter will be 19 in Oct, son will be 17 in Aug, and little daughter is 9..they are very supportive. Hubby is a little scared I think...funny he isn't the one going under the knife...lol. i can't wait for this to be over I am so excited! I go to the doc on tuesday to get my sleep apnea results, if no apnea, I can schedule the surgery right away, if I do have apnea, i have to get fitted and wear the cpac for 2 weeks prior to surgery. Other than that, I have had all my tests done and my general practicioner has given her blessing. I have been working on it since May and finally its near the time to schedule the surgery. I can't wait to feel good again and get back to the old me!!

weight.png