Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just How Important is your Post-Surgical Dietitian

Hello Everyone.

I am very interested in how many folks continue to see their dietitian or nutritionist after surgery. I had a terrible experience my first visit. I have no idea why this person did not let me get a word in edge wise, was rude and spoke down to me the entire time. I felt like I was being scolded like a child. I have another visit with this same person and am afraid to ask for another nutritionist in fear of being labeled and having my surgery put out for months. Yet I do not feel comfortable with this lady. I feel intimidated, belittled and would NEVER ask for help. I would run from her as if she had the plague. I didn't feel she was supportive in anyway.

Do I stick with her for the one more visit and walk away quietly, or do I ask for someone else in hopes of getting true support? How important is she after surgery?

Wow! I would never stick with someone that made me feel that way! I would ask for someone else if you can!

I love my nut. She is great and gives great advice. She is very supportive and even give her email and cell for problems I may have.

Don't ever setlle for less than your deserve! Ask for someone else!

Kelly :)

Happy -

I am not a subject matter expert, just a poster. That said --

I think we had the same first dietitian. Even called a dietitian. (Had no idea what a NUT was when I first started reading here.)

My opinion is that you need to know what is safe for your pre and post surgery. You need to understand the pre-surgery diet and the expectations for about 6 to 9 weeks after, depending on how fast or slow they phase you through your steps back to food. If you understand that process, the rest is iffy as to how important it is.

Learn the basics. If you are a person who likes to try different recipes, you might check to see if they have any to share. But otherwise, I think the post surgery importance is minimal if you are ready to do this as right as you can. As you read here you will learn there are programs who believe that even veggie carbs are evil, mine wants people to get back to eating veggies as a small portion of their regular diet. So with differences that dramatic between programs, how important can it really be?

At the end of the day, once you have safely moved back to food, you will do what works for you. And your stomach will give you some big hints.

Good luck.

(BTW, I'd love to tell you the details of my first dietitian but it's a bone of contention between me and the program right now. I paid a fortune for 8 appts. (required - 4 before and 4 after) and it was a joke. Maybe someday I'll share, but right now it's that bad that I need to keep it under wraps!)

My dietician treated me like I was five years old. I took her recommendations and discarded the ones that were stupid (no shakes, no straws, no gum because I might swallow it, don't start smoking again (it's been 28 years, lady!)) and adopted the good ones--the Vitamins and Calcium she named, and where to get help if I had a post-op emergency.

I don't plan to speak to her again. She was not affiliated with my surgeon and I took his word for what I should do post-op (shakes and straws were okay).

This is a timely post for me. I just had my 3 month post-op follow-up appt. with my doctor where I was expected to see the nutritionist as well. I actually cancelled the nutritionist portion of the appointment and I don't plan to reschedule. I am doing excellent on my plan with no questions, the nutritionist I had been working with left the practice AND they starting charging $75 for a half-hour visit.

I just don't think that service is necessary for me at this point. My college roommate became a nutritionist so I learned A LOT vicariously through her and she's only a phone call away. But, do what works best for you. :)

Amanda

I would absolutely request someone else.

Personally though, it's supposedly required at my hospital to see the NUT at 1, 3, 6, 9, 12 months. I have not gone and have no plans to go see them again. They were useless at my pre op appts.

I know how you feel about your nutritionist, mine very much talks down to the very people she is employed by to help (who do you think pays the insurance premiums and co-pays?). I had to swallow my pride and deal with it since she was the only NUT in the practice (no that is not short for nutritionist in this case)….

What helped me through was I lost weight at every visit and she seemed to be happy with it and told me to keep doing what I am doing (even if she did not agree - because in her words "it seems to be working for you"). The last time I had to see her, I had beaten my pre-op weight goal by 10 lbs.

I will probably have to see her after my surgery for permission to go thru each food stage - but if I have to make any co-pays, that will stop as soon as possible.

Good luck, be patient - hold your tongue and remember that getting thin in SPITE of people like that is the best revenge!

Wow definitely request another!!! There's no need for that treatment. Both the NUTs in my dr's office are band patients so they 'get it' in terms of treating us all w respect. I really need the NUTs advice, especially onvitamins. Good luck

Good morning, Thank you for your well constructed reply. I appreciate your time and effort. I have since found out that the dietitian is this way to many people. It's not an individual issue. I believe that I am more than prepared for post surgery. I am a diet guru. My last certified trainer taught me so much and in turn I had a thirst for the knowledge, it was always Protein first with him. In fact she said, "I guess there is nothing to teach you" , but I'm very, very, very concerned about your soda drinking. Which I admitted having four sodas in month. It was my understanding from the group nutrition class that if you had high caffeine intake you needed to work on it and cut back. No one ever told me to QUIT. Believe me, I have quit now.

I believe it's in my best interest to suck up the last 30 minute appointment with her, meet the surgeon and then after my surgery, release the letter I have constructed to the program coordinator and let her know how I was treated. I have spoken with two others that had her for their pre-op dietitian, but were assigned another after. They too had issues, one to the point it was considered a "failed" visit. We are already at t he mercy of the insurance company, the bariactric program and the surgeon. I dare not rock the boat and have this surgery postponed.

I need the help of the VSG and can make this a positive tool along the side of my VSG Talk friends. Thank you again for your reply. Add me as a friend and we can discuss details of our NUTS in private.

.. . . uote name='1-4-Many' timestamp='1307916281' post='163176']

Happy -

I am not a subject matter expert, just a poster. That said --

I think we had the same first dietitian. Even called a dietitian. (Had no idea what a NUT was when I first started reading here.)

My opinion is that you need to know what is safe for your pre and post surgery. You need to understand the pre-surgery diet and the expectations for about 6 to 9 weeks after, depending on how fast or slow they phase you through your steps back to food. If you understand that process, the rest is iffy as to how important it is.

Learn the basics. If you are a person who likes to try different recipes, you might check to see if they have any to share. But otherwise, I think the post surgery importance is minimal if you are ready to do this as right as you can. As you read here you will learn there are programs who believe that even veggie carbs are evil, mine wants people to get back to eating veggies as a small portion of their regular diet. So with differences that dramatic between programs, how important can it really be?

At the end of the day, once you have safely moved back to food, you will do what works for you. And your stomach will give you some big hints.

Good luck.

(BTW, I'd love to tell you the details of my first dietitian but it's a bone of contention between me and the program right now. I paid a fortune for 8 appts. (required - 4 before and 4 after) and it was a joke. Maybe someday I'll share, but right now it's that bad that I need to keep it under wraps!)