Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Un-Sleeved Introduction

Hello everybody!

I wanted to go ahead and introduce myself even though I'm not sleeved...YET! I've done a lot of research so far and it seems that the sleeve is what's for me. A friend of mine referred me to her surgeon in Mexico. Gasp! I was terrified at the thought of having surgery in Mexico until I did more research. Well, my mind is made up that I will have VSG with Dr Alvarez in Piedras Negras...as soon as can come up with the $$$. Has anybody used this surgeon?

I'm tired of being overweight. I'm 28 years old and feel as though I'm much older. I know my health is at risk the longer I remain overweight. My mom who is also very overweight has type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, has had both her knees replaced...she's only 48 years old. I do not want to meet the same fate with health issues. I feel I'm ready to take this journey. I have 2 kids that need a healthy mommy.

I feel like I don't have the support at home. My husband doesn't understand how it feels to be overweight and how hard it is for me to loose weight. He's told me that I'm just to lazy to stick to any diet plan and exercises. He doesn't understand that it's not being lazy it's that every diet plan I have ever tried DOESN'T WORK for me! When he thinks he needs to loose weight he'll stop eating for a few days and drop 15 pounds easily.

I asked my mother in law for a loan yesterday. She seemed stunned that I wanted this surgery. Note: she is also very overweight. She asked me how much I weighed, I reluctantly told her and she said that she had no idea that I weighed THAT MUCH. Gee thanks... She said she'll have to ask her husband and let me know, because apparently they lost $20,000 last month at their gas stations due to gas being so expensive. WTH? I thought that gas going up at the pump was because gas went up by the barrel. I don't understand how they lost that much money. They also just got back from spending 2 weeks at a resort at the beach and paid $525/night. WTH again? All I need is $8,900, which I will pay back to them. I guess I can cross that loan possibility off my list. I'll have to apply for a loan, since my husband is a tight-wad and doesn't want to use our savings because I'm "to lazy to loose weight on my own". Has anybody used Cosmeti Credit to finance their surgery? My insurance does not cover bariatric surgeries.

I'm glad I found this forum. I feel that I've made the right choice to have VSG. I know I'll have questions and concerns. All I ask for is support and understanding through out my journey.

Welcome to the forums. There is a wealth of information and support here. There actually is a section of the forums that is dedicated to self-pay and Mexico surgery. Check it out - I'm sure you'll find answers.

I am also self-pay, but luckily I had the money saved up for it. I know a few people have used Care Credit, or other credit cards. Some have also been able to obtain personal loans.

Isn't it funny how some people who have insurance that doesn't cover WLS have to be a self pay but people who are on Medicaid get the surgery for free? I've worked all my life and have to pay hundreds of dollars out of pocket but my neighbor who chooses not to work had hers for free. Sometimes I hate these government programs. Ugh!

Isn't it funny how some people who have insurance that doesn't cover WLS have to be a self pay but people who are on Medicaid get the surgery for free? I've worked all my life and have to pay hundreds of dollars out of pocket but my neighbor who chooses not to work had hers for free. Sometimes I hate these government programs. Ugh!

I don't understand why you're pissed at the govt programs. It's not their fault that insurance companies that people are paying their money too aren't covering what is needed. I think that is a problem that should be taken up with them personally.

Insurance companies pay, but there's always co-pays. Some people even have to pay 20% because they have an 80/20 type of insurance. I'm just saying that since my neighbor CHOOSES not to work, why should my tax dollars cover her surgery 100%? And she would be the first to tell you that she doesn't work because she doesn't want to. So yeah, I do feel bad for all the self pays out there.

Greetings!

Im new(ish) to this forum too and I completely understand you on the husband thing. It took me literally years to convince him that it wasnt my (completely) my fault that i cant lose weight and that the sleeve is the best option for me.

I dont know if you can or not, but I took my husband to my local hospitals free seminar about WLS and thats what convinced him. He is the kind of person that needs facts and proof and SOMEONE ELSE to tell him these things. lol After that it was all smooth sailing.

I have my psych evaluation on Monday and have got the ball rolling on my surgery. I cant wait until i can have a date for that!

But just so you know, I feel your pain and you arent alone! Let me know if you need to vent or even if you just have a funny joke! my ears are always open. Its nice to have other young mommies to relate too.

Caitlyn

WLS is a really good return on an insurance companies investment. I had read that the average diabetic costs an insurance company 14k a year. It makes no sense not to cover it. I was a lucky one, I was covered as well was my wife. The billed out was in the area of 45k each when all was said and done, the negotiated rate was around 25k. deduct co-pays and everything else, it is a sub 2 year return. I have had zero billed expense from diabetes or complications since my surgery a year ago. Not to mention the heart attack, stroke(from the high BP) or amputation around the corner. It seems it should be universally covered

Thanks everybody!

@Caitlyn...I'm glad I'm not the only one who's husband doesn't understand! Right now my plan of action is to keep everything quiet until I find out if I can get this loan or not. When I know for sure I'll be able to walk him through step by step. He just doesn't get it that I cannot just loose weight. A lot of it, I'm sure stems from fear. He's one who gets sick even thinking about a hospital or Dr's office. He even threw up after my 1st ultrasound when I was pregnant with our son. My daughter who was 5 at the time came into back into the office when I was checking out and said "Daddy just threw up in the parking lot!"...needless to say he was not invited to my other ultrasounds! I will have to end up showing him these forums and hope for the best. If he doesn't want to do any research I'll have to tie him to the computer chair and make him watch a video of an actual VSG surgery. LOL

I am so sorry things are so rough for you. I do understand a little where you are coming from with hiding the surgery from your husband because I am hiding it from my father with whom I have insurance coverage. He would actually try to kick me off it if he knew what I was trying to do. I wish you all the luck you can get, and hope you stay strong in trying to get your surgery done.

See the idea here is to make him aware of all the benefits he will reap as well from you getting this surgery. Make sure he knows how good you will look and how sexy you will feel! Because lets be honest. Men are VERY visual creatures and sometimes as wives we need to remind them of that... LOL!!! Am i right or am I right??? TEEHEE!!

You are so right! Also I've found a bunch of videos on youtube that I've been watching that I'm going to encourage him to watch. ;)

I had my surgery in the states, and personally I'm glad I did. I had to stay 2 extra days in the hospital, and knowing that I was close to home and not in a foreign country during my stay, gave me a relaxed mindset. Sometimes it may be worth the extra expense of going local. You can get to meet with your surgeon on a regular basis - and I just dont know how others can go to another doctor that didn't do their surgery for followups.