Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bulking up (in this case I'm a woman, but guys might know)

Now some of you may not agree but I love the look of a muscular woman. I've had that look in the past (with a layer of fat) but now I'm lifting weights and not getting bigger muscles like I'd like. Are any of you able to "body build"? Did you bulk up after stopped losing? Apparently I'll need a dose of whey Protein within 1/2 hour of lifting (which sounds yucky but I can manage). Any advice?

The trick to being muscular is being ripped. This is why i put less stock into a BMI number and more into the bodyfat percentage. Case in point (even though I don't agree with HOW he got here) Jay Cutler, IFBB Pro. He is 5'9" and weighs 275lb. According to a BMI chart he's morbidly obese. Now if you ever saw him:

He doesn't look anywhere near obese.

Ok back on topic. You're not getting bigger because you may not be taking in enough amino acids to illicit growth. All I can recommend is to keep your intake of Protein at the maintenance dose until you can ingest more to grow on. Get "cut" first and watch what you have pop out and then target your smaller areas.

Like N2BR8 says, you have to be ripped. I have always had the bodybuilder body (genetics) even as a 350 lb woman I never looked that weight, but after i lost 150 lbs I did check out what was "still there" I can still flex the pecs and pump the deltoids, the "wings" still pop, the calf muscles never left. and with the weight off, I notice a little ripple in the tummy area . . soooooooooo with that in check, now i've started the gym and am working on those things. . . skin is a bit of an issue but so what, I don't want to be a model, just fit again. (nothing a little duck tape won't cure huh????hehehehe) good luck and keep doing what you do, you'll be healthier for it in the long run. . .

Yes, you can bulk up. It depends, like N2B8R says, on good nutrition, on reducing body fat, and also on proper amino acid balance. I focus really hard on getting enough lean Protein (that's critical!), spending enough time on the weights (I mean c'mon, you can't bulk up without SOME kind of resistance work) and I also take a couple of supplements.

For me, I take Tribulus and DHEA (you probably don't want these since they're for men to bump up the testosterone), as well as a bedtime arginine blast of about 1200mg. The arginine is supposedly a growth hormone releaser (studies are conflicted about it, but at least it's not HARMFUL, since it's just an amino acid); I've noticed that when I'm taking arginine, hard workouts lead to nausea more frequently. This may sound weird or undesirable, but from what I understand, that bout of nausea is often symptomatic of a GH dump, which is one of the things you'd want in order to bulk up. Similarly, I've noticed when taking arginine that my muscles grow much faster -- I haven't measured it or done double-blinds or anything, but it SEEMS that way to me.

Ultimately, I'd talk to your doc/nutritionist about this. Bottom line is that, with proper nutrition and exercise, and assuming you're in the right age bracket/don't have any illnesses or genetic conditions that would prevent it, YES, you should be able to bulk up, even after WLS.

it is possible , its just harder since we cant slam down 2 chicken breasts for lunch a 8 oz steak for dinner, 3 eggs n ham in the morning =), but it is possible, even better i started noticing im getting "cut" whitch was almost impossible for me since i ate so much and had a layer of fat on top of my bulk prior to surgery.

I spoke with my chiropractor and he said to get a large dose of whey Protein within 1/2 hour of lifting weights. He also suggested doing jogging at a different time all so the protein will all go to muscle growth after the workout. Thanks guys!

/\ why would jogging have to do with bulking up, as far as i know and no one please quote me, if your jogging your burning calories, and theres a possibility of a muscle loss

I haven't been sleeved yet. So I can only speculate that it's not easy to ingest "bodybuilding" Protein levels for atrophy. A good way to pack in the amount of Protein necessary is to get a hold of a few protein-in-a-vial:

http://www26.netrition.com/mt_sp_45g_liquid_protein_shot.html

Take around 3 and you get 135g of protein from them alone and each vial is 4oz. While I find these on that site they're located elsewhere. Just shop around for the prices and flavors you like.

/\ why would jogging have to do with bulking up, as far as i know and no one please quote me, if your jogging your burning calories, and theres a possibility of a muscle loss

Yes, it was because of the use of the calories. I don't want to burn off the Protein my jogging immediately which is I have been doing. But I sort think if I do exercise whenever and however its a good thing.

I haven't had the sleeve yet, but this is my goal too. I've worked out a good bit the past several years and like feeling strong. I'm no world's strongest man or anything, but I like having muscles, even if they are under a lot of fat right now. Lifting and exercising has never been my problem, just my appetite, how I react to my appetite and the bad choice of foods I've made when hungry. I want to lose a lot of my fat, be healthier and get off my meds, but also want to keep at least some of my strength. So I would appreciate any input/feedback from any of you guys, or girls, with experience with this surgery and getting back into the weight room. Looks like my surgery should be in October or so. Thanks!