Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help I can't eat anything!!

I'm about 4 weeks out and I hate eating! I'm not getting my Proteins regularly, sometimes I get close, but some days are better then others, everything I eat for the most part makes my stomach feel icky and I don't really want to eat, I can take maybe 2 or 3 bites of something and I'm done, I don't think I'm eating enough. I can't do shakes they are absolutely disgusting the last time I ate tuna fish I think I over did it and I threw up so I'm scared to try that or any other fish for that matter again, I can do string cheese but c'mon how much can I eat that lol, other then the fact that I'm not really eating I feel fine should I be worried?

OMG, I'm feeling the same way! Do you get nauseous just thinking about eating? I do.... I dont know what's going on. I was sick last week with a cold and ever since then my stomach has been so mean to me! Nothing goes down good; nothing tastes good! Just thinking about eating is making me queezy. I'm 7wks out and cant eat more than 3 or 4 bites of anything and then have to battle to keep it down. Before last week I was fine and was able to get all my requirements in but between last wk and this wk, things are getting worse. I'm hoping it's just this cold that's making things difficult, but only time will tell. If it gets worse I'm gonna call my doctor!

Hang in there, it does get much better. I am 8 weeks out and can eat just about anything. However, there are still times where even the smell of food makes me nausous, the other night we went out to the movies and my husband had some popcorn and I tell you the smell was enough to make me want to gag, I asked him to put the bag on the other side of him and it was a bit better. I used to love popcorn, especially movie popcorn. I had just eaten prior to getting to the show and it seems if I am full I have a tendecy to have that feeling come over me when I smell other food.< /p>

But it does get better trust me!!!

I'm right there with you at a month out, but having pretty good success at getting my Protein. Make sure to get your fluids - if I don't, my stomach will start to go wanky. Whatever you eat, make sure it's moist, eat slow, and stop 2 bites before you think you should. If you eat slow enough, and little enough, the bad stomach feeling should go away - does it hurt when you have a cheese stick? If not, start measuring out 1 oz, and try that amount for other foods.

The amount you are eating sounds similar to me; That's the point of the surgery, to make us eat small. If you qualified for the surgery, I'm guessing it will be a while before you stave to death. Later, we'll be able to eat more normal amounts, and miss the amount of restriction we have now.

As to the Protein shakes, if you can't stand the ones you have tried, keep trying. I tried powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury (which a lot of folks rave about), and it made me want to hurl. I can stand Isopure, but I know a lot of people think it's utterly disgusting. Keep trying new mixes - if you can find one you can tolerate, it makes getting your 60 - 80 Proteins much easier.

OMG, I'm feeling the same way! Do you get nauseous just thinking about eating? I do.... I dont know what's going on. I was sick last week with a cold and ever since then my stomach has been so mean to me! Nothing goes down good; nothing tastes good! Just thinking about eating is making me queezy. I'm 7wks out and cant eat more than 3 or 4 bites of anything and then have to battle to keep it down. Before last week I was fine and was able to get all my requirements in but between last wk and this wk, things are getting worse. I'm hoping it's just this cold that's making things difficult, but only time will tell. If it gets worse I'm gonna call my doctor!

I'm just like you, without the sickness, I hope you feel better

Hang in there, it does get much better.

But it does get better trust me!!!

I sure hope so!

I'm right there with you at a month out, but having pretty good success at getting my Protein. Make sure to get your fluids - if I don't, my stomach will start to go wanky. Whatever you eat, make sure it's moist, eat slow, and stop 2 bites before you think you should. If you eat slow enough, and little enough, the bad stomach feeling should go away - does it hurt when you have a cheese stick? If not, start measuring out 1 oz, and try that amount for other foods.

The amount you are eating sounds similar to me; That's the point of the surgery, to make us eat small. If you qualified for the surgery, I'm guessing it will be a while before you stave to death. Later, we'll be able to eat more normal amounts, and miss the amount of restriction we have now.

As to the Protein shakes, if you can't stand the ones you have tried, keep trying. I tried unjury (which a lot of folks rave about), and it made me want to hurl. I can stand Isopure, but I know a lot of people think it's utterly disgusting. Keep trying new mixes - if you can find one you can tolerate, it makes getting your 60 - 80 Proteins much easier.

Fluids I'm pretty good at the cheese sticks I'm also pretty good with at 7 grams of protein a pop I had 2 yesterday (whoopie!). I'll keep trying to find that solution for protein, I found these liquid drinks (they are more so juice then milk) at the Vitamin Shoppe they have like 40 grams of protein in one 20 ounce bottle, but they are $4 a pop!

Thank you all for the support!

I had/have horrible issues with being sick. I'll be finishing 8 weeks out on Monday, and it's down to an every-3rd-day or so occurrence versus the every day multiple times way it was just a couple of weeks ago. What has helped me:

1. Taking Prilosec at night before bed RELIGIOUSLY. If I miss it, I get sick the next day, guaranteed, and sometimes on a tiny amount of formerly "friendly" food.

2. Eating deliberately small portions--under-eat on purpose. Just a couple of tablespoons of food, taken in small bits (no big ol' bites for me any more!), chewed to death.

3. Observe the "do not drink 15 minutes before or 30 minutes after eating" rule. I thought this was one of those "if you want to" or "if you can" rules, but it's not--for me, it's a must.

4. Eating every 3 hours or so. If I wait too long, I end up eating too fast or too much, and there it goes.

5. Sticking with food that I know to be "friendly," for the most part. I have experimented, and I have added some things to my repertoire (certain Protein bars, watermelon--YUM, pimento cheese). Things that don't work go away for a few weeks. I may never eat another egg, though, having had them rejected four times already.

It's the combination of having a small tummy (32-French bougie) and a picky tummy (who knew??)--but now that I know to stick with the rules, things are a lot calmer and I'm feeling a lot happier. I notice my stomach is more forgiving even when I mess up--last night I ate 1/3 of a beef taco (just the meat, tomatoes, and cheese), which is normally one of my happy foods, but I ate too fast because I was hungry. Happily, instead of being sick, it hurt a lot, but it stayed down! That's a new thing--usually when I mess up, my stomach rejects the food emphatically, so I was happy with the progress even though it hurt. Lesson reinforced!!

Hang in there. It really has taken me 2 months to get to the point where I'm managing this without being sick at every single meal. I NEVER meet my Protein requirements, rarely meet my Water requirements, but I'm working on it, and as long as things are staying down and I'm feeling okay, I think that's just about all I can do. We'll get there. Just takes some of us longer than others.

Meg

I have a suggestion on the Protein Drinks. I have tried them all! TRUST ME! And they all made me sick or gag or both!

It is called Pure Protein. They have RTD cans at Vitamin Shoppe and GNC and the strawberry Cream and Peanut Butter are the best 35g in one can!!!. They also have the powder at Walmart and Target one scoop has 25g!!

They are soooo good and don't have that protein taste or smell! That is what gags me and makes me hate to drink them. No aftertaste either. This is truley one Protein Drink that I CAN tolerate!!

GET SOME TODAY!!

Kelly ;)

I agree with taking the ppi at bedtime. I take 2 (40 mg) every night. Also not going without eating for too long. Since I'm not really hungry, I set my timer on my phone for every 2 hrs to remind me to eat a small meal or snack. This is also helping me get in most of my Protein in as of yesterday. And I am not quite a month out yet. I have not had any nausea or throwing up yet. I have an 34f bougie and I don't think I had a lot of swelling cuz I did pretty good with liquids as soon as I was cleared after my leak test.

I get the Atkins RTD shakes, usually in vanilla at Walmart. No strong protein taste and its a mild flavor, not too strong or sickening sweet. They have 15g protein.

Good luck!!

:)

I am limited to 1/4 cup at every "meal" and can usually but not always, eat it all. I make sure to wait at least two hours in between every 1/4 cup and also definitely wait 1/2 an hour to drink after. I have never seen this be anything but an absolute rule as it pushes your food through to fast . I also set my phone timer for every 10 minutes and drink so that I don't fall behind.

It is important to work on getting that Protein so that your body does not turn to your muscle to burn instead of your fat. That is another reason low carbs is important. Finding a Protein drink you can drink once a day is pretty key and I myself find I can manage one if I mix two scoops of chocolate with a cup of Decaf and ice and blend. The Unjuy chicken Soup has also been a lifesaver - savory and really just lie broth to me- I do add 12 ounces of Water instead of 8 or it is just too salty.

Certainly you will lose when you are eating so little but eventually your body will go ointo starvatio mode and stop losing and this is the time to get theprinciples like protein and Water in place. For the first couple of weeks it is not so important but certainly once you are a month out those goals should be met for the best results in the longterm.

The acid inhibitor can really help!

Good luck- I feel for you who are having problems. I kind of grouse about my 32f bougie because my capacity is SO small but I get my protein and water every day without fail.

I just started soft food one week ago and have been nauseous pretty much every day. Eating is no fun at all and the constant headache that goes along with it. For those of you who can't stand Protein drinks, I'm one too, try using not flavored Protein at 30 grams per scoop. There are some really good smoothie recipes on bariatricfoodie.com. Some days it feels like I may have to drink my food for the rest of my life and only a couple ounces at a time. Hopefully this will change as my stomach that was toughens up a bit.

Some days its bad enough I think I may have to start wearing a diaper.

Thanks for all the great tips. I am so glad to hear that things are going to get better. I can only eat about four small bites of food and then I'm so full. This is so much different from the Lap Band. Looking forward to when I can eat a little more.

I am 3 weeks out sleeve. I can not get more than 16oz Fluid a day down. I am averaging 200 calories per day. Should I be concerned? Is this normal?

I’m in the same boat and I’m 6 months post op. I eat about three bites of something Protein or really anything, veggies too and then I immediately throw up. Doctor has me on multiple medications for this and Valium to relax the muscles in my stomach. I also had to have two emergency surgery’s 2 weeks ago because my sleeve was stuck to my gallbladder with so much scar tissue so they thought that was it, but then a day after that surgery they saw that my gallbladder was bad and they had to remove it immediately. Still no change and I feel so sick all the time because I’m barely getting 300 calories in daily. I loose a pound every other day. I know for 99 percent it’s a miracle and worth it, but I have always been the 1 percent when it comes to my health. I have lost 80 pounds since Dec 19, 2022, but I feel like it wasn’t the right way and I’m worried I’m loosing way to fast. Anyone else suffering like this because my doctor says it’s unusual and I can’t find anything on the internet. Thanks for all the helpful replies in advance. If anyone out there understands my pain feel free to reach out to me through email- marsgirl22@gmail.com