Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I Ever Enjoy Food Again?

After all the research and thinking this is what I need to know. Will I ever enjoy food again? Or will it forever be just for fuel and a struggle to eat?

Is this why some people feel so blue? I don't want to mourn the loss of food. I want to know that one day I can truly enjoy it in moderation, just like a healthy-sized person would.

I can honestly tell you that I love food 100% just the same as I did pre-op. It took me months to get here, and I really didn't start liking food again I was at goal, and was able to really add in more food into my daily intake that consisted of more than just meat, cheese, eggs, and greek yogurt.

Also, get creative. There are fabulous recipes out there that really made eating easier, and more pleasant. You'll be able to enjoy food again. I eat a huge variety of foods, and do not keep anything off my menu just because I had VSG.

I had sushi(3 slices of shrimp tempura roll), and some pepper steak with fried rice this afternoon for lunch, for dinner I had 1/2 sonic corny dog, 3 chili/cheese tater tots, and 2 cheddar poppers. Okay, so it took me about an hour to eat dinner tonight because the corndog was filling, BUT it was a mad pregnancy craving, and it's what I wanted.

Seriously, you will enjoy food again, but it will take some time, and some creativity on your part.

Between 3 and 6 months your appetite will return to normal and you will again "love food" which is why you have to train yourself early out to be vigilant about what you're putting in your mouth and how you're eating. Use this "I'm not hungry!" phase to re-train yourself so that when your appetite does return, you're ready to do battle with it if need be.

Renee`

I can honestly tell you that I love food 100% just the same as I did pre-op. It took me months to get here, and I really didn't start liking food again I was at goal, and was able to really add in more food into my daily intake that consisted of more than just meat, cheese, eggs, and greek yogurt.

Also, get creative. There are fabulous recipes out there that really made eating easier, and more pleasant. You'll be able to enjoy food again. I eat a huge variety of foods, and do not keep anything off my menu just because I had VSG.

I had sushi(3 slices of shrimp tempura roll), and some pepper steak with fried rice this afternoon for lunch, for dinner I had 1/2 sonic corny dog, 3 chili/cheese tater tots, and 2 cheddar poppers. Okay, so it took me about an hour to eat dinner tonight because the corndog was filling, BUT it was a mad pregnancy craving, and it's what I wanted.

Seriously, you will enjoy food again, but it will take some time, and some creativity on your part.

The sushi and pepper steak sound mmm mmm mmmmmmmm.. Was it the large sushi rolls or the smaller ones? Im curious how big of a steak can you eat now that you are 2 years post op.

The sushi and pepper steak sound mmm mmm mmmmmmmm.. Was it the large sushi rolls or the smaller ones? Im curious how big of a steak can you eat now that you are 2 years post op.

They were the small slices of the sushi smothered in wasabi and eel sauce LOL. As for a true steak such as filet, I can eat half of an 8oz filet mignon from most steak houses and I order them Medium. I still can not to this day eat an entire chicken breast like the ones they serve with a grilled chicken salad at chili's or TGI Fridays unless I eat super slow, and use some sort of dressing or food lube to get it down. I can eat about 1 cup of chili with 6-8 crackers. If I add any veggies, especially starches, I can fit more food in. If I stretch my meal out over 30-40 minutes then I can eat a couple more ounces. As for prepared meat, remember those foods are measured in weight and not volume, I go by the "deck of cards" or portions that can fit in the palm of my had to eyeball portions when it come to proteins/solid foods.

Pepper steak is typically made with very finely sliced and tenderized flank or skirt steak, and I can eat about 6oz of pepper steak.

It all depends on how well I chew and if I use any food lubes to make the food more mushy consistency.

Thanks Tiffykins I am able to eat about half a palm of steak right now (approz 3 oz) so I am thinking I will have a bit more room later. I rarely eat chicken breast as I find the meat too dry. Love the thigh and legs so I think I can get a half decent portion in. I am waiting till about 6 months post op to try sushi in a roll form. May even wait longer as I am afraid of trying rice (afraid it will get stuck I guess). I am looking forward to the day when I can frequent the sushi bars again.

I did go through- "the what the hell did I do to myself" feeling. I loved food and thought I wouldn't be able to have my favorites anymore. Well you WILL be able to just in small amounts. I eat healthy most of the time but now and then i like to have a little of an old favorite. I think that is fine as long as it stays just a little once in a while.

Y'all are making me hungry! :blink: I'm in the pre-op diet right now but this is great information! Thank you all! This encourages me to keep on, keeping on!:D

This is a great question since I was wondering the same thing! I'm almost 8wks out and am still making delicious dinners for the family but after I taste it or bring it to work for lunch, it doesn't really taste all that great anymore. For example, I'm trying to eat my homemade refried Beans right now and after the first bite goes in my stomach starts to turn and I hold back the urge to gag. I attempt to take more than 3 or 4 bites and I just cant do more. I also made my world famous teriyaki chicken the night before and when I ate it it tasted so bland to me!

I'm happy to hear that after about 3 months the desire for good food will return but right now it's awful. I LOVE my cooking and I am a pretty good cook so it's annoying to not really enjoy your own food right now... LOL....

Thanks Tiffykins I am able to eat about half a palm of steak right now (approz 3 oz) so I am thinking I will have a bit more room later. I rarely eat chicken breast as I find the meat too dry. Love the thigh and legs so I think I can get a half decent portion in. I am waiting till about 6 months post op to try sushi in a roll form. May even wait longer as I am afraid of trying rice (afraid it will get stuck I guess). I am looking forward to the day when I can frequent the sushi bars again.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh if you go to a good sushi place, ask if they can make the roll without rice and use cucumber instead ! ! !

I'm only 8 days post op, and I am craving a steak. I feel I could eat one now, as I haven't had trouble with anything at all going down. I'm on the liquid stage still, but in the hospital they gave us yoghurt with bits in, so I have had Soup with bits in it, and have had the odd thing that I can pulverise with my teeth! I'm sure I could manage chicken now, but I have to stick to the rules I suppose lol. The answer has to be, YES you will enjoy your food again!

I am 3 weeks post op and really like the "meh" feeling about food. I don't want my cravings to return! I love not really having an appetite. I've had one sad day since my surgery. I was walking through the grocery store and everything that appealed to me was something I couldn't have at this stage (bread, pasta). But I ate a little something and it went away. I love this!

Holly I have the opposite feeling. I am starving all the time at 3 weeks post of and nothing taste good at all. I cant find anything that I enjoy eating. I simply eat because I have to then get upset when I eat because all the food is just blah. I heard your taste would change but I enjoy cooking and would like to some day eat my own foods again. This whole process has been a huge struggle and I am really waiting for things to get a lot better.

Honestly, I picture myself walking around like an angry zombie. Strangely unfeeling, but REALLY cranky. I think it would be torture to WANT (in your head) to eat, but not be able to. On the other hand, it would be just as awful to dislike eating. Am I making sense?

I don't want it to change who I am. I know I am not defined by my eating, but it is a big part of me. I dont' mind it changing. I need to change. I just don't want to be a bitter/bitchy (even bitchier, my family might think : ) person.

I want to enjoy food when I eat it, but not crave it so much and be satisfied with just a bit.

Don't know what to think.

Forgot to say THANK YOU a gazillion times over for your opinions and for sharing your experiences. : )