Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any suggestions for giving up soda?????

So I know soda is bad for me, so I have not had it in 2 days... But in those 2 days I feel irritable, I yelled at my dogs, I so have eaten everything in my house...LOL do NOT want to look at my blood sugar level!!!! Anyone have these issues???? Anyone have any home remedys to alieve these issues???? It is so strange, I want sugar, and I never want sugar....

After banding I really worked hard to cultivate a taste for something other than Diet Coke. I love the Walmart brand of peach tea powder. Just add it to cold Water and freeze until slushy. It's great in the summer.

PS...I mix it extra strong.

Hi. I gave up Diet Coke, which was my absolute favorite thing to drink, about a month before being banded. I'm amazed that I don't miss it. But, I did go through a week of headache and caffeine withdrawl, which proved to me that it was probably not the best for me, at least in the quantities I was taking in.

So, I now drink lots of Crystal Light. I also have been making up tea drinks: hibiscus tea with apple juice and lemonade. Yum!! Sometimes, if I'm really jonesing for something sweet, I do sweetened iced tea. Also, I'll treat myself to Starbucks' Blended strawberry Lemonade. This isn't a drink on their signage, but they will make it and it is sooooooo good. Whew!

Luck with the DC trip. It does get better after your body detoxes. Yep.

Coco

I gave up Soda just before Thanksgiving 2005 and had my surgery 2/13/06. I used to drink nothing but, Diet cola. Well...knowing my surgeon didn't approve of soda or carbinated drinks as soon as I was filling out the application/survery I quite drinking it. I wanted this surgery so badly and knew I wanted to follow instructions from the start so I did it. You know...with all the mixes you can add to Water there is never a dull moment. I love Lipton's Green tea mixes especially the Mandarin/Mango yummm. I also like Kool-Aids new individual mixes. Now those have sugar but, for a once in a while treat it's great for me. Crystal light I find to acidic for me but, that's me. I also enjoy Water Sensations. Those are great because they are in liquid form. Keep changing flavors and you'll never miss the soda!

meow,

Cokes are one of the hardest things for my DH to give up also. He did tell me he felt like crap for the first few days but then You will soon feel normal again.. just don't start them back up. good luck...

The best soulotion for all you Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi people is.....Go to 7-11 and have yourself a nice Diet Pepsi SLURPEE! No Carbanation No Sugar, and tastes great!

On the bariatriceating.com website, Susan Maria suggests a great recipe! Crystal Light Lemonade prepared; then add frozen strawberries. My family can't get enough of the stuff. Today I am making TWO pitchers because it's so popular!

I know how ya feel...*sigh*

Diet Coke was a staple in my diet....loved....loved....loved it...

I switched to Caffeine free a couple years ago because I think I was overdosing on caffeine and my family was getting scared of me...lol.

Then last year when I quit smoking I had to give up the diet coke because for me they went hand in hand. But alas because I have an addictive personality I had to find something to replace both of those things and decided to start drinking MUG rootbeer which quickly became my new addiction and I was hard core with that stuff....but holy cow...the carbs and sugar and calories....when I booked my surgery I knew I had to give it up. I now drink Crystal light ice tea. You have to just find something you like to replace it. You can do it!

I have developed a fondness for Wyler's Pink Lemonade Light.

When I have a craving for sugar and just can't stand it anymore I get a teaspoon of honey.

M

Thanx for all the suggestions... I bought 4 different kinds of Crystal light, ya its ok but I miss carbonation.....ALOT LOL.. I think thats what I really want, not even just caffine, cuz I could be so happy with carbonated water!!! I swear I think its a gene, that is passed down in our family...My Mom drinks Selter Water, which I used to drink if I was desprate, cuz its got salt..ick... OK heres the sick part one day my Mom had a little left in the can that was warm and she poured it into my dads Bonzi plant... I just looked at her and asked are you trying to kill dads plant... And she looked at me like she so didnt comprehnd that she did something wrong, so I said, HELLO its got salt! She picked up the plant and drained it......I laughed so hard.... Ya its not "real" water!!!

hmmm I got off track....LOL anyways... Happy 4th of July, It is the 3rd day with no Diet Pepsi :faint: But I can do it!!! Hubby on the other hand will not accept my explination of why he has a low grade headache...Whateva!!! cuz I aint buying no soda...hehhehehehe

The best soulotion for all you Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi people is.....Go to 7-11 and have yourself a nice Diet Pepsi SLURPEE! No Carbanation No Sugar, and tastes great!

WRONG....about two years ago (while I was still a wannabee), someone called Southland Corp (headquarters of 7/11) and asked, "Are Slurpees carbonated"?

Very proudly, the spokesperson said, "YES, that's our secret. We found a way to freeze the mixture and still retain the carbonation".

So I know soda is bad for me, so I have not had it in 2 days... But in those 2 days I feel irritable, I yelled at my dogs, I so have eaten everything in my house...LOL do NOT want to look at my blood sugar level!!!! Anyone have these issues???? Anyone have any home remedys to alieve these issues???? It is so strange, I want sugar, and I never want sugar....

Now that I'm in Tennessee for my surgery I've become a sweet tea lover. Everyone here drinks it. I buy decaffinated tea bags and boil them, add splenda (I love a touch of lemon too) and have it cold over ice. I also love lemonade. I am not going to be banded till the 18th, but I thought it was time I gave up my addiction to root beer and diet Cherry-vanilla Dr. Pepper. I really haven't missed it that much. I also love cranberry juice light, which is especially good for the bladder and kidneys. I didn't think I could find a sub for my diet colas but there are lots out there and I want to be on them before surgery. The sweet tea with splenda and a touch of lemon is absolutely delicious. I guess where I come from it's just ice tea, but it is sweetened more here. Splenda makes it taste wonderful and is a great sub for the sugar in it. Start experimenting...also limeade is good. I drink orange juice in moderation because my dr. wants me on Metamucil and I mix it with a little orange juice....not too much though because it contains acid. I also love my Water with the sugar free kool-aid or

Crystal Light in it. You have to put sodas out of your mind completely and leave your mind open to the new things that will work with the band. My dr. tells me people do insist on drinking carbonated drinks, but he strongly suggests you let them go flat first....doesn't appeal to me. They are truly empty calories, so keep that in mind.

God Bless,

Dody

Here's the skinny on Slurpees...

Happy birthday to the Slurpee

slurpee_1.jpgThank goodness for life’s simple pleasures, like the Slurpee, which turns 40 this week (joining fellow 40-year-old the Pillsbury Doughboy). I find comfort in knowing that I can always walk down to the corner 7-Eleven and grab a cherry- or Coke-flavored Slurpee. Apparently I’m not the only fan. Since 1965, more than 6 billion Slurpees have been sold. The carbonated slush is sold in 17 countries, and U.S. annual sales alone are $170 million. Plus, Slurpees are much cooler than 7-Eleven’s other old standby: “grilled” hot dogs.

Are you joking about drinking "carbonated" slurpees? Gosh, I believe everything I read. I've never had a Slurpee in my life. Am I deprived or what? They just never appealed to me.:(