Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At my Kaiser class I received a list of things to NOT have. The teacher didn't say one day we could have these things. It was NEVER.

1, Sugar

2. Caffeine

3. Salt

4. Carbonation, etc......

So....I have a problem with Never, Ever. Obviously.

I know I've seen people on here who eat regular food and drinks, but in moderation. Why does the teacher at Kaiser say "never"? Is it because it will harm my stomach in some way (I have not yet had the surgery) or is it that it will keep me from losing weight? I can handle having it in moderation, but not ever.

So, I need to know why I can't have these things on occasion? I have to be honest. I love Diet Coke. I think it's the carbonation more than anything. Not sure how to work through this.

HELP! and THANKS! : )

Never is a long time. I hate to be told I can't have something. Honestly, you can have any of these things after you have been sleeved for awhile. The carbonation is difficult for my new tummy but I still occasionally enjoy a mixed drink with soda. I can't drink it very quickly and it goes straight to my head but it is nice on rare occasions and my tummy will tolerate it. Sugar can make me feel a little yucky and I have learned I don't care for sweet stuff as much as I used to. Still, I do have some from time to time. I have a cup or two of coffee in the morning and it does just fine. I don't have high blood pressure and so I don't worry about too much salt, either. All of that said, I think it is important to stay diligent about losing the weight, especially in the first year. It gets more and more difficult to lose the weight as your size goes down and if you start figuring out how to "eat around" your sleeve. Be careful not to do much snacking and use common sense when it comes to sugary and high calorie foods and you will do ok. :)

The thing I hate about lists like this is that you don't know when something really is a danger.

I agree with everything Swan said. But here's my program's take on the list:

Salt - ironically they said not to even look at salt content because if you are eating anywhere near how you should be and are restricted to 750 calories (average), salt is not a worry.

Caffaine - 60 days, then you can have it. Obviously in moderation but they mean that for the entire population.

Sugar - extreme moderation. Just not a good habit. I agree with Swan. Those I know who were sugar people before mostly are not now so it's not a huge issue. I never liked sweet and it almost gags me now, more the fake sweet of the drinks.

Carbonation - the only one they say never. I know several in my support group who occasionally sip a diet soda.

Adding 2 never that was on our list:

gum - you'll read several reasons why.

straws - but I know lots of people who have said their doctors are fine with them.

Soon as we hear the word never thats when we want it more. I could never be that strict with myself, I'm not a saint. I seldom have soda because it does bother me, but sometimes with a lot of ice i'll have diet coke. I do have a sweet thing once in a while. Caffeine everyday and I watch my salt intake. For me the sleeve is about living a healthy normal life. Everyone does things there way and what works for them, and you will find yours, good luck, Janine

I am a Kaiser patient although I did not have my surgery through Kaiser. I did talk to the nutritionist and reviewed the materials they provide to their WLS patients. First of all, everything I read was targeted at gastric bypass or band surgery. Second, I questioned the nutritionist when she told me some of this and to be honest, the answers were pretty lame. Sugar is a no-no because it is empty calories and it can make some bypass patients dump. Caffeine can cause irritation in the band and bypass pouches. Salt is not good for people with hypertension issues and Americans eat too much anyway. Carbonation can apparently cause expansion in band and bypass pouches and in sleeved stomachs. (The carbonation thing makes no sense whatsoever from a physics standpoint and I can find no scientific studies that support removing it from a sleever's diet.) Didn't they mention that chewing gum is a no-no forever, too? I asked about that and was told I might swallow it and cause an obstruction. As I have said before, I haven't swallowed my gum since I was five.

Anyway, I am five months out and I eat sugar. Not often, as I am low-carbing and it blows my numbers for the day if I do, but I have and there have been no ill effects. I have a cup or three of coffee everyday with no ill effects. Salt-I add it if the food needs it but since I am mostly eating fresh food I am consuming less sodium now than I was when I was eating canned, pre-prepared, or fast food. I have tried diet soda but it just doesn't taste the same as it used to--I have drunk too much plain Water, I guess. The carbonation just made me burp, nothing exploded inside and my stomach didn't grow six times larger.

I suppose they are trying to be helpful but when they are teaching these classes and preparing the materials they make sweeping generalizations. I'd say think for yourself and aim for moderation and you should do fine.

Didn't they mention that chewing gum is a no-no forever, too? I asked about that and was told I might swallow it and cause an obstruction. As I have said before, I haven't swallowed my gum since I was five.

Actually laughed out loud. When I read that "rule", that was my thought. I don't remember ever swallowing my gum and I wondered who are all of these adults who go around doing that?

However, I will say that my program never gave that reason. Gum, for sleeved, was because when you chew it begins the digestive process and starts generating acid in the stomach. And a lot of folks have such issues with acid reflux it doesn't need to be encouraged. I actually looked it up and it's true that if you chew, the stomach does, as a reflex, begin creating acid so at least it made sense. Still, I'm sure I will occasionally have a chew.

Yeah, never is pretty ridiculous. There is ZERO scientific evidence that carbonation will stretch or harm your stomach. I did wait until I was at goal to drink soda. I did try a couple of sips before 6 months post-op and it was super uncomfortable. But, I drink a soda every day, and have been drinking soda for over a year without an issue or impact on my weight loss or sleeve capacity.

As for sodium, B.S. you need sodium for normal kidney function. Now, over salting will cause Water weight, and no more than the daily recommended value should be consumed which is up to 2500mg per day.

Sugar for logical weight loss reasons. But, to say never to sugar again is absurd.

I'm so glad my program suggests a life of moderation after getting to goal and learning to manage your weight in maintenance.

Deprivation dieting got me all the way up to 270lbs so I'm highly elated with my extreme life of moderation that I"ve been living for over a year in maintenance.

Thanks so much everyone! I don't mind not having these things for a while. but I want to know I could indulge moderately on occasion.

I admit I have caved to the diet coke cravings on occasion. The only thing I can tell is that I seem to burp more but there are days its just a Diet Coke day! Like Tiffykins, never is a long time. I don't make a habit but I do allow myself some sugar and am at maintenance. Just figuring out now calories I can have per day to maintain without falling into bad habits again.

At my Kaiser class I received a list of things to NOT have. The teacher didn't say one day we could have these things. It was NEVER.

1, Sugar

2. Caffeine

3. Salt

4. Carbonation, etc......

So....I have a problem with Never, Ever. Obviously.

I know I've seen people on here who eat regular food and drinks, but in moderation. Why does the teacher at Kaiser say "never"? Is it because it will harm my stomach in some way (I have not yet had the surgery) or is it that it will keep me from losing weight? I can handle having it in moderation, but not ever.

So, I need to know why I can't have these things on occasion? I have to be honest. I love Diet Coke. I think it's the carbonation more than anything. Not sure how to work through this.

HELP! and THANKS! : )

I think the reason they say "never" is because there are so many people who have a skewed version of moderation. The lady sitting behind me at the orientation came back at break with a massive doughnut and a Starbucks frappuccino. I would be humiliated to walk into a class about weight loss eating a doughnut and drinking a coffee milkshake! She also complained throughout the entire seminar that she doesn't want to stop eating bread or sugar. I wanted to turn around and tell her "Then go home. There are plenty of people on the waiting list that woudl love your seat". If you tell someone like that that they can have sugar in "moderation" do you think she's going to have it in what we normal folk consider moderation? No. It's easier for them to just say "never" than to try to say to take it easy. Because some people's version of taking it easy is a doughnut and milkshake. lol!

Nannie, good to know I could have a bit.

MLD...Now THAT is funny/a little sad. During my class I was surprised to see how many people didn't know how to count calories. Honestly, I feel like I KNOW what to do to lose weight. I lost 80pnds before just eating moderately (counting calories) and exercising. It's a head thing for me and I wish I could work this whole thing from simply that angle.

MLD, that is a VERY good point! lol I, myself, can see the "never" from some people's standpoint and really, if we are honest with ourselves, it should most likely be the same with all of us. NEVER! I'm just not sure I'm that strong! ha!

Optasia, I agree. We all KNOW how to lose weight. We have the knowledge. It’s just the execution that’s hard. And sometimes, it’s not even all that hard to lose the weight, it’s the biggest battle to keep it off! I’m sitting at my desk right now watching my co-worker eat a buttered bagel and I’m drooooooling!! I’m not hungry, I had scrambled eggs and an apple for Breakfast. But dang, that bagel looks delicious. You’re totally right. It’s a head thing. I had to get on this website and distract myself, quick!! Lol. Besides, talking with you guys is better than a bagel anyways. Or at least that’s what I’m going to keep telling myself :D

Nannie, you’re right. I don’t know if I can do this whole “never” thing. Yikes! But if I start out telling myself “Okay, not for a year. Anyone can go without junk food for a year.” That sounds a heck of a lot better than never. Then we’ll just see where things are in a year. I have to play those mental games with myself. It’s sad, I know…

I look at this surgery as a tool. As long as I eat mindfully and in moderation, nothing is off the list forever. I never succeeded at diets. That's how I ended up so big. I certainly didn't get 85% of my stomach cut out to be on a diet for the rest of my life! We just have to learn what normal looks like to the rest of the population that don't struggle with eating issues. I get asked occasionally, "are you ever going to be able to eat normally again?"

I hope not! My normal is what made me fat!

I agree with TODREAM. It's a tool, I plan on using it like skinny people do. Do skinny people have on occasion the things listed on the "never" list? Yes. So, yes, I've broken the rules a few times. Moderation is the key for me. I am in no way offering advice for your situation, just telling you my take on the "never" list.