Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those of you still pre-op and post-op that remember, do you fill like you want or wanted to eat every and anything because you knew after surgery or right before surgery it all stops. I have the 6 months PCP visits (4th one coming up June 13) and all I want to do is eat. I know I can not do this closer to surgery time and after surgery. It is like I know I will have to let go of a lot of different foods and I want to enjoy them for the last time as much as possible. I hope I don't sound crazy! LOL! Did anyone else feel like they were eating a two story house with a farm and animals and the legs off the kitchen table for dessert, prior to surgery? :P I know I can't be the only one.

I had a 5 month waiting period after getting my surgery date. I definitely had food funerals and wanted to eat everything and anything. Then, the surgeon's office called and said that I was required to lose 10 pounds prior to surgery or it would be cancelled. They put me on an all liquid diet for three weeks prior to surgery. At that point I was terrified that my surgery would be cancelled after I had worked soo hard and jumped through soo many hoops. I did the liquid diet and lost 14 pounds! Now I'm sleeved and am re-learning how to eat.

Most people go through the "food funeral" stage. Try to start counting your calories and paying attention to what you're doing so that you don't gain weight. Also, once your surgery get's closer start to reduce your calorie intake so it's not such a shock. You can do it rolleyes.gif

You are not crazy or alone!! Most of us go through this too. Especially when you know you are about to have to do all Clear Liquids for a long time. I just tried not to go too overboard. I picked one place that I don't go to often because I was doing low carb prior to my liquid diet. So I chose Olive Garden. It was delicious and I didn't do too bad cuz I filled up on salad first. Ended up bringing half my food home.

:)

This is normal. I am eating more now to get my BMI up for my first meeting (next week) so I can be sure it is covered by insurance.

We will miss it BUT we all know this is a new trip to a better us. food has become a bad four letter word.

I did what Jack did, ate a bit more ahead of my PCP appointment to be sure my BMI would be 40 (and it was, barely). My "last meal" before surgery was a hamburger, always one of my pre-surgery favs (and something I haven't had since surgery in April and am not craving, yay). I think a lot of us have "food funerals." When my husband was sleeved last year, the weekend before his surgery, I made him corned beef, one of his favorite meals, and he really enjoyed it--we haven't eaten it since, and he hasn't asked for it.

I think you will find that your tastes really do change after surgery, and some of the things you absolutely loved and maybe ate several times a week will no longer hold the same appeal. You may feel sorry about that--I know I did and kind of mourned the loss of my "friends," but that only served to point out to me that I had done exactly the right thing in having the surgery. The sleeve has helped me change not only my body but my relationship to food--it's a fuel now, not a friend. It's something I enjoy, but I don't obsess about it any more. I do get cravings now, but those are mostly for things that are healthier for me--fish, melon (oh my--I have a watermelon thing going on now, maybe for the Vitamins?). I think you'll find you still enjoy your favorite foods, but you may not want to return to them very often, and the experience will be different for you.

Cheers!

Meg

Glad I am not alone. LOL! My BMI was 44.6 at my first visit so I didn't do extra eating in regards to that. I did my regular eating which in reality is extra eating hence where I am today. Thanks for your responses. :-)