Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh yum...white fish, tuna or chicken......

As another poster said about the mushies, I am so over this. Only for me it's Protein. I have about a 3 to 4 ounce capacity so my life is baked fish, tuna or chicken. Honest. I lost weight pretty easy on Adkins but I didn't want to have to do Adkins the rest of my life so I was sleeved. You know the perfect sleeve fantasy. Eat anything but in small portions. Still have some pleasure in food, just reasonable. Well when you top out at 3 to 4 ounces being able to eat "anything" becomes protein. Protein. I am so sick of protein.

So, down the road does anyone know if the liquid Protein -- specifically the Protein Shots of whey -- is as beneficial to your body as ...well, chicken and fish. Even if I get a little stretch at 6 months, I can't see eating this way forever. Going through the summer seasons without fresh fruits or veggies just sucks. So frankly, I don't care what the rules are about not drinking protein. But I do want to make sure it's of actual benefit for my body.

My plan to cope with my small capacity is to take a swig of the high test protein shot and then the fresh fruit or veggies. Without that protein at each meal, if I lose 1 meal I'm way off for the whole day. And back to my original point, I just can't see doing this forever. And even if my capacity doubles, 6 ounces is still pretty weak. I really want tomatoes from the vine and fresh snapped Beans. Is that a bad fat person's dream?

So share with me what you've read and know on the subject of Liquid Protein. I really want to hang onto my muscle if at all possible. But I also sooo want some garden peas this summer.

I think there was some debate on Obesityhelp and some were saying it's not the best choice butI don't remember how or why this might be so. With the fruit, you could make some of that dip made with cream cheese, greek yogurt, and vanilla extract. The yogurt would give you some Protein. I'm sorry I can't be more help, I never have been a fruit person but my daughter is, and she likes that dip. Now peas squash, and okra I love!

:)

How about a Protein shake with fruit added? Chike makes a nice strawberry flavor and banana flavor, even better if you add fruit. I am also eating cottage cheese with strawberries (about 1/4 c quartered) or bing cherries for breakfast--15 gms of Protein, about 8 carbs. I am waiting on Tomato season, too--I like the heirloom ones with flavor and will probably make a caprese salad.

Sorry I can't help about the protein shots--I heard they taste awful but haven't tried them myself.

Protein first is a good rule of thumb, but there is more leeway when you're in maintenance. You'll have to up your calories to maintain, so as long as you get enough Protein regularly, you can have all that delicious fresh produce that summer produces. And the beauty of maintenance is that you can fudge your diet a bit. You just compensate other days.

^^^^that is not my professional opinion but my Heather opinion on what I plan to do. I have no clue about the liquid Proteins.

But, seriously, the whole reason I changed my choice to VSG was so that I can have a piece of pizza if I want, have a piece of wedding cake or pig out on caesar salad with grilled chicken and not worry if I eat a crouton. I just expect to know ahead of time that we're having pizza and compensate earlier in the day with my diet and up the exercise that day. <shrug>

While early out and losing, I expect to be fairly strict with the diet plan.

ok, I tried the Protein shot just this morning. (I got these at costco, in a tube looking container, and I think 12 come in the case)

and they were AWEFUL.....So sugary tasting, I was not about to waste it, so I took a sip, gagged, took a sip, gagged, till I finally finnished it. each shot is 25 grams Protein. Not wanting to waste the remainder, I'm trying to think of ways I can drink the rest. I'll try to make a shake of some kind I think.

ok...there is my 2 cents...lol

As another poster said about the mushies, I am so over this. Only for me it's protein. I have about a 3 to 4 ounce capacity so my life is baked fish, tuna or chicken. Honest. I lost weight pretty easy on Adkins but I didn't want to have to do Adkins the rest of my life so I was sleeved. You know the perfect sleeve fantasy. Eat anything but in small portions. Still have some pleasure in food, just reasonable. Well when you top out at 3 to 4 ounces being able to eat "anything" becomes protein. Protein. I am so sick of protein.

So, down the road does anyone know if the liquid protein -- specifically the Protein Shots of whey -- is as beneficial to your body as ...well, chicken and fish. Even if I get a little stretch at 6 months, I can't see eating this way forever. Going through the summer seasons without fresh fruits or veggies just sucks. So frankly, I don't care what the rules are about not drinking protein. But I do want to make sure it's of actual benefit for my body.

My plan to cope with my small capacity is to take a swig of the high test protein shot and then the fresh fruit or veggies. Without that protein at each meal, if I lose 1 meal I'm way off for the whole day. And back to my original point, I just can't see doing this forever. And even if my capacity doubles, 6 ounces is still pretty weak. I really want tomatoes from the vine and fresh snapped Beans. Is that a bad fat person's dream?

So share with me what you've read and know on the subject of liquid protein. I really want to hang onto my muscle if at all possible. But I also sooo want some garden peas this summer.

The only concerns I was made aware of is that if you are a male, like I am, I should limit my soy Protein because of the estrogen. Also my nutritionist says that the liquid shots of protein won't do much because it has nothing to bind to and stay in the stomach to absorb. You want your stomach to absorb the protein so you get the full absorption benefits. In liquids it goes past the stomach and is absorbed in your intestines, then it would be like you are a gastric bypass patient and you are only able to absorb a portion of the protein in the intestines and you pass the rest out unabsorbed.

Hope this helps.

The only concerns I was made aware of is that if you are a male, like I am, I should limit my soy Protein because of the estrogen. Also my nutritionist says that the liquid shots of Protein won't do much because it has nothing to bind to and stay in the stomach to absorb. You want your stomach to absorb the protein so you get the full absorption benefits. In liquids it goes past the stomach and is absorbed in your intestines, then it would be like you are a gastric bypass patient and you are only able to absorb a portion of the protein in the intestines and you pass the rest out unabsorbed.

Hope this helps.

Yes, that helps a lot!

(Oh and I like your screen name!)

That seems to make my plan logical. I don't intend to drink an entire shot, but break it into 10 gram servings in a shot glass I have and take it with the fruit/veggie meal. I was planning to swig it first, but with this advice, I will leave that last bite or two's space and drink it after the meal so that it can work with the fruits and veggies.

That was actually the only negative I had heard before, that drinking a large vile of the protein shot at once, most of it would just go right through your system and you'd only get about 20% of benefit.

Personally I like the grape flavored shots and I only need the 8 to 10 grams of protein to go along with the non-protein foods.

Thanks again. I think I can make this work. I really don't want to live life without at least fresh cantaloupe and ripe nectarines at least once in a while.