Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op diet vs No Pre-op DIet

I was thinking about something Crosswind said recently wondering if the pre-op diet, the two weeks of liquids or something similar has an affect on your post-op weight loss. I guess it stands to reason it would- to lose a large amount pre-op could send you in to your stall sooner, etc.

SO I thought it would be fun to talk about our stats- if we did a pre-op, what it was, and what our first month or so looked like.

I will start-

I did two weeks of liquids pre-op . I lost 18 pounds on that.

Post-op I lost 12 pounds in the first two weeks- then on day 15 I hit my first stall of 8 days . This week I have lost 3 pounds, breaking the stall.

It seems likely my rapid weight loss in those two weeks pre-op may have brought that stall on sooner... Certainly I am not complaining, I still am now at 33 pounds lost and hopefully that stall was it for at least a few weeks.

How about you? Pre-op or not? How bout post-op?

I haven't hit the "first month or so" yet but I did no preop diet and I'm down 19lbs on day 9. Based on major weight fluctuations the week before surgery (due to new blood pressure meds), I am sure 4-5lbs of that was pure Water. So 14lbs right after ;) When I hit my stall, I'll let you know!

Hi Meggie

My highest weight in January was 270. I started the pre-op diet at 265. Two weeks later on the day of surgery I was 254 for a loss of 11 pounds during the pre-op. I came home from the hospital at 265 (that was depressing!). At two weeks I started mushie foods and a stall. The stall lasted 10 days. I am 7 weeks post surgery and am at 229 pounds for a total loss of 41 pounds. According to the Doctor, I have lost 36 pounds since they take the pre-op weight as the starting point. I have not lost any weight for the past 4 days and am worried I am at another stall. I read on the boards this morning that weight loss might be slower if you have a history of yo-yo dieting. That certainly describes me so maybe that's part of my problem. I actually lost weight faster when I was on the medically supervised diet at the same Doctor's office. I keep telling myself that the difference is that this time I won't gain it back, but that sounds hollow even to me.

My highest weight was 444. I started my pre-op diet three weeks before surgery and lost 14 pounds. I weighed 404 pounds on the day of surgery. In the last two weeks since surgery I have lost 22 pounds so far. Total of 62 pounds lost since starting my weight loss journey!!

Interesting question and I'm absolulely sure it will affect the weigh in outcomes post surgery. I'm going to do my best to remember here:

I did a 2 week pre op diet, though not liquid only it did consist of amazingly low carbs. I lost 9 Lbs. Post op I lost 7 Lbs in the first week and 2 Lbs the next week and next to nothing for the next 2 weeks. So yeah I guess it did tailspin me to stalling a little early.

But... knowing how my body loses on a month to month basis being 9 months out it could also just have been a normal reaction for me. Who knows? It's a very interesting thing, this whole weight loss issue. Over time all of you will get used to knowing your body and how it responds to everything. Main thing is to keep working it, STAY POSITIVE and keep believing in the program even when you're stalling! It's tough, but oh so doable.

xoxo

Interesting question and I'm absolulely sure it will affect the weigh in outcomes post surgery. I'm going to do my best to remember here:

I did a 2 week pre op diet, though not liquid only it did consist of amazingly low carbs. I lost 9 Lbs. Post op I lost 7 Lbs in the first week and 2 Lbs the next week and next to nothing for the next 2 weeks. So yeah I guess it did tailspin me to stalling a little early.

But... knowing how my body loses on a month to month basis being 9 months out it could also just have been a normal reaction for me. Who knows? It's a very interesting thing, this whole weight loss issue. Over time all of you will get used to knowing your body and how it responds to everything. Main thing is to keep working it, STAY POSITIVE and keep believing in the program even when you're stalling! It's tough, but oh so doable.

xoxo

I can't tell you how reassuring it is to know you stalled at two weeks , knowing your ultimate great results!

I was given no pre-op diet to speak of... was basically told to eat "healthy" and not gain any weight before surgery. I lost 34 lbs. in the first month and that month included a 10 day period where I lost almost nothing. I would say this loss was well beyond normal since I have lost about 12-15 lbs. each in both month two and three.

I would tend to agree that a big pre-op loss is likely to affect numbers in the first month.

Interesting thread!

Amanda

I am bumping this because I think it is a really interesting thing to compare- given the people who get upset about the stalls- I would love to see if pre-op diet plays a part.

i started at 343 and I had to do a 6 mos diet....I lost about 28 before my 2 week liquid diet. I lost 16 on the liquid diet and started surgery at 299.3 (4/11)

My post op visit was 9 days post op and I weighed in at 290 that was on 4/20.

On 5/16 I was 280 and fluctuated between there and 282 until 5/27 when i weighed in at 279.8

as of yesterday 6/3 I was 276.8

In total I have lost 66.2 lbs. 44 pre op and about 22.2 post op in just under 8 weeks huh.gif

I am only aware of one stall...because the 3 weeks I was out of work, I only weighed myself that one time on 4/20 and I didn't weigh again until 5/2. But I do feel my weight loss has been slow.

I just had a week of low carb/high Protein and the night before surgery I could have anything I wanted for dinner and I loaded up. I didn't lose any weight, and the first month out I dropped around 30-35 pounds the first 4-6 weeks post-op. And, I never had a true stall of 14 days with no loss on the scale, never stalled until I was about 7lbs from goal and I didn't lose any pounds for 10 days, but was dropping inches so it wasn't considered a stall.

Starting weight morning of the revision was 263lbs, came home weighing around 20lbs heavier because of the fluids they pumped me with during my complications then I was on TPN at 1800 calories a day for over 2 weeks then I was able to start on clears and progress through the diet slowly.

So far it does look like the pre-op diets cause the post-op to be a bit slower- which makes sense! That is why I really think of April 25th, my first day of liquids pre-op, as my start date,

Keep the data coming!...

So far it does look like the pre-op diets cause the post-op to be a bit slower- which makes sense! That is why I really think of April 25th, my first day of liquids pre-op, as my start date,

Keep the data coming!...

I totally agree with doing this. That's why I always have 3 sets of starting numbers. My highest, My pre-op diet starting weight and my surgery weight. We own them all!! :D

So in totals, my Sleeve Journey totals are I'm down 89 Lbs - but from my highest I'm down 138 Lbs. Whoot!! I started my Pre Op Diet Sept. 1st so I lost that 89 in 9 months. Around 10 Lbs per month average. Not bad! That's exactly where I wanted to be and how I wanted to do it.

So my highest weight ever was 390 but my weight when I started my pre-op which ended up being 5 weeks long was 385. I lost 22 lbs on the pre-op so I was 363 the day of surgery. I am 1 month out and am now 337 so I lost 26 lbs since surgery. My third week I was waffling back and forth over the same 2 lbs so nothing lost in that week.