Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yummy protein bar I can not only tolerate...

So I have the pickiest sleeve on the planet. :rolleyes: It completely rejected all those nice Protein powders I had carefully sought out, and I was having serious trouble eating enough to get even half the recommended amount of protein. On a whim, I picked up a couple of Protein Bars (I'm almost 7 weeks out now, sleeved 4/18) at the grocery store to try. Most of them, ICK!! But the Think Thin kind, which are gluten free and zero added sugar, are FABULOUS! I had the creamy Peanut Butter and ate half of it over a couple of hours--it really does taste like a Reese's peanut butter cup, same texture and everything. Really tasty, and my sleeve loves peanut butter, so I'm thrilled! 20 g of protein per bar, too, so a pretty good return for the 230 calories (I only ate half as a meal). I think it does have malitol, so if you have a sensitivity to that, not a good match, but if not, I highly recommend these. I'm going back to get the other flavors (some of the other flavors don't have as much protein).

Happy find!

Meg

I'm addicted to the Special K strawberry Meal Replacement bars. 10 grams of Protein, 5 grams of Fiber. 140 calories. It's pretty darn good and keeps me full for a few hours.

Thank you for this suggestion! I am seriously gagging on all my Protein Powder samples. I am not getting near the amount of Protein that I should. I am only a little over 3 weeks out, so I will have to wait on these, but it is something to look forward to.

I'm with y'all. I never could get the Protein Shakes, Protein stuff down without gagging AND I'm lactose intolerant. But I found Pure Protein which has like 27 grams of protein with only 2 grams sugar I believe. chocolate Peanut Butter my fave but chocolate fudge is good too.

I'm with y'all. I never could get the Protein shakes, Protein stuff down without gagging AND I'm lactose intolerant. But I found Pure Protein which has like 27 grams of protein with only 2 grams sugar I believe. chocolate Peanut Butter my fave but chocolate fudge is good too.

I just tried the pure protein bars the other and they are very good. My concern now is how it says that it has sugar alcohol in them, but very low sugar. I'm just so confused with the whole sugar alcohol and what to think of that when it says (ie 15g) . So can someone please tell me if I should avoid the sugar alcohol all together or is it not as bad as I think?

I have to be gluten free too. Thanks for the hint, I'll try those out. I'm loving Clif "Builder's Bar" esp mint. Pure Protein and Special K both contain gluten.

Protein Plus is lactose free powder and has 27g Protein per serving. I use the vanilla one only--I like to freeze berries fresh to actually flavor my shakes with. Since I am now doing pureed food, I also use either Almond Breeze Light or light soymilk to blend my shake or foods with. It is very good with strawberries and /or banana in a shake. As for the sugar alcohol issues, I would limit those and try to sweeten naturally with stevia. The art sweeteners have left my tastebuds uneasy, and I decided early that I would limit using those and to cook with natural ingredients as much as possible. I won't use cow's milk anymore. That tends to bring on gassy stomach aches. :rolleyes: Knowing my lova affair with some bars, I would not stop at one or a half of one. So, for me, I avoid those--the GF ones sound like they are delicious, tho.

Sugar alcohol does not affect the blood glucose level like sugar. But I understand too much can cause diarrhea or discomfort in some people. I imagine how much differs from person to person but I don't know. I've had pure Protein bars with no trouble. Sugar alcohols ok to eat on a low carb diet though according to my doctor's nutritionist.