Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, my story is just beginning. I am 37 years old and was thin (sometimes downright skinny) for most of my life. I gained weight in college, but was able to lose it and stayed at 150 pounds for several years (I am 5'6"). After I married, I gained 20 pounds and lost it within 6 weeks of Weight Watchers. In 1998, I began having back problems, that over the years, have become severe. After losing the weight in WW, I began taking Lyrica and gained 40 pounds within 6 months. After getting off the Lyrica, I couldn't get the weight off. I tried Jenny Craig and lost pretty much nothing except a couple thousand dollars and tried WW again. The weight would not come off. As I gradually got bigger, I developed Thyroid problems, High Blood Pressure, Pre-Diabetes, and sleep Apnea. I pretty much meet all health qualifications for insurance to pay for gastric bypass surgery, but because I haven't had this problem for 3 years, they won't pay. Since I was diagnosed with the majority of health problems in the past year, I'd have to weight 2 years before I qualify. My triglycerides are so high I won't even tell ya'll the number, so do I wait 2 years and hope and pray I don't fall over with a stroke or heart attack or do I go on and have weight loss surgery?

I've decided to finance the surgery. BC/BS of Alabama won't pay for Sleeve and Gastric Bypass is $26,000.00. I attended a seminar last weekend and feel that the Sleeve is a better option for me anyway, so this is the choice I've decided upon. I have my initial consulation with the doctor on 6/7/11. At the seminar, I found that he has criteria that patients must meet, but these things seem to be pretty easy: attend 1 support group, attend a nutritional class to teach me how to eat after surgery, and since I take an anti-depressant, I'll probably have to have a psych evaluation. He said this was for anyone suffering from depression. I was diagnosed with this in high school and am not severely depressed. I'm hoping that since I'm "stable" on medication and don't have any problems, he won't require the psych eval, but if he does, then he does. I'm alright with it. I just want to get going as soon as possible.

I'm a little nervous, but seem to be more at ease since I decided to choose the sleeve. I know many people who have had gastric bypass. Some have done very well, some have not. I kept finding myself nervous about making the decision to have gastric bypass, but have not had those same feelings since learning all I can, and deciding to go with, gastric sleeve. I think the thought of everything having to be "re-wired" made me feel that the bypass was so "final". For some reason, I can wrap my head around having a smaller stomach, while everything else stays in place.

Well, that's pretty much it. I'd love to hear from anyone who is just starting out in this process, as I am. I would also like to know of anyone who has had a psych eval. Of course I'd love to look great, but I'm not severely obese (BMI of 37-38). I have thought about weight loss surgery for several months, but In the past month, I have really started to worry about my health. I know this is what they want to know during psych eval, but I'd like to have some idea of what kinds of questions they ask.

I think a support forum like this is terrific. I look forward to "meeting" several of you as we go through this together.

With love and prayers,

Meg

Hi Meg,

Welcome, I just started my journey on the 3rd of May, I am on a six month supervised diet with a dietitian, I have to have a psych eval, I'll be starting that on July 28th and I am not depressed it's a requirement of my insurance company, my surgeon require that all having a WLS have to have a HIV test done.

I am excite about this wls surgery, I started off seeking the Lab-Band, but when I was at the seminar I seen that, that one wasn't for me, but the sleeve caught my attention and now that's the one I am researching right now.

I will let you know of the question that's asked when I go through my psych eval, maybe someone who has been through it already will answer your question before July :-).

I hope that help and I'll be praying for you on your journey.

Gina

I originally started this process thinking I wanted the lap band, but like you after attending the seminar and doing massive online research decided that the sleeve was for me. The surgeon said that he would recommend the band with my low BMI (didn't feel real low to me!) but I told him that I had researched it and that I did not want the band that I thought the sleve was the best option for me. He then proceeded to tell me all of the advantages of the sleeve and the disadvantages of the band! I said, "exactly! that is why I want the sleeve!" since I was self pay it was a pretty quick process but I did have to do the psych evaluation. I think it is standard operating procedure. Mine was a piece of cake and lots of the questions were ridiculous! Dont sweat it, like you say I think they just want to make sure you are stable. I was pretty surprised to find out though that my surgeon requires you to be off some of the antidepressants for at least 2 weeks prior to surgery, mine was one of them. And you know many of these you can't just get off cold turkey. Luckily I had already decided that I didn't need mine anymore and had already come off of mine. (effexor). I am just 2 weeks and a day post op so I am pretty new at it, but I will tell you that the surgery was tougher than I expected. And post op eating is difficult initially. I do not get hungry, in fact have to force myself to eat and the protien shakes get hard to take. I think I could gladly never have another one! lol but I did this to be healthy and getting enough protien is part of it so I do what I have to do! I understand that eating gets much better, but the love affair that you had with food seems to be history! that's ok though, my goal was to eat to live not live to eat as I did before surgery Mission accomplished. Also, since I have less to lose it is definitely coming off much slower than I had anticipated. You must learn patience cause the weight doesn't just fall off, it is a process. I found that I thought since I had taken such drastic measures that I would get drastic results,,,that has not been the case and from what I understand from others posting is not to be expected. The difference though that I keep reminding myself of is that this time the weight is gone forever not just until I reach goal or until this diet is over. This is not a diet it is a change in lifestyle, one that will last the rest of our lives. I still don't really understand why the weight isn't coming off faster though because initially post op you usually get less than 500 calories a day! Now eating mushies I don't get many more than that still. but this last week I lost about 2 pounds! That is only the 2nd week. Totally I have lost 10.1 pounds. And from other posts this is not unusual. Many of us expected a longer ":honeymoon" period, I don't want to discourage you I just want you to be fully armed with the reality and not have unrealistic expectations. I still think that long term this was a good decision for me but there is definitely an ajustment period. I do not get hungry, ever! At least not so far, but I have definitley mourned food! I went to the movies and smelled that popcorn and even though I wasn't hungry I wanted to be able to eat it and mourned not being able to have any. I dearly LOVE watermelon and I can now have it on my mushies diet but I can only eat about 4 or 5 small bites! I used to eat my weight in it. Even the healthy stuff you can only eat so much because your small stomach is very small! I hope I have not discouraged you and have helped you to see all sides to this decision. Good luck and let me hear how you are doing.

Vickie

HI Meg!

I am actually 3 weeks post-op but I wanted to reply as you are another Meg on the forum- this makes three that I know of ! I find this so funny as for many years I hardly ever met another Meg and right now there are three Meg's in my Water aerobics class as well!

I wanted to reassure you about the psych eval- I have had depression for quite a few years and take an anti-depressant. Don't worry about it- most of the eval, aside from the standard questions about whether you want to harm yourself or others, etc. ,has to do with making sure you understand what the surgery is and also have realistic expectations of what it will do for you. that it is a tool, not a magic wand, etc.

For me it has been the best thing I ever did.

Hi Meg and welcome to the forums. The psych eval is a standard procedure from the research that I have done. I wouldn't worry about it. I have mine coming up in 20 days - maybe I'll change my mind about it then. :D

Congratulations on making the decision to have the sleeve done.

Hi Meg:

My insurance requires a psych eval for everyone. Mine was scheduled for about 6 weeks before surgery. He asked a lot of questions about why I wanted to lose weight and how I expected my life to change after the surgery. He also asked about what support systems I had in my life and what techniques I used to handle stress. I had the impression that he was looking to understand if I was fully aware of the consequences of the surgery and followup. Also, that I understood that much of the success of the surgery was going to depend on me changing my bad habits.

The whole session lasted about 45 minutes. At the conclusion he said that in his opinion I was a good candidate for WLS and his report to the insurance company would reflect that opinion. I never saw his report, but I was cleared for surgery!

One last note, at the group appointment with the nutritionist to go over the pre-op diet there was a woman who asked a ton of questions. By the nature of her questions it was clear that she had unrealistic expectations for WLS and how it would change her life forever afterwards. Her comments indicated that she thought she would be able to eat what for her was "normal" and that the surgery would insure that she would continue to lose weight regardless of what she ate. Truely the "easy way out!!" I remember wondering at the time how she ever passed the psych evaluation. Interestingly, she did not attend any subsequent groups sessions so I don't think she had the surgery.

Good luck on your pre-op journey!

Gina,

I agree about the lap band. I have an aunt and a cousin who chose to go that route and I don't think either have lost a great amount of weight. If I'm going to pay $14,000 and have surgery, I'm going with something that is going to help me lose this weight. I don't want to go through all of this for 20 pounds or so.

I hate that you have to go through the 6 month supervised diet. At the Seminar I went to, the doctor said that he has written several letters to insurance companies, trying to get them to understand that if we could lose weight, we wouldn't be having surgery. He feels that having to go through another diet is prolonging the surgery. BC/BS wrote back to him and told him that his patients did not have to meet this criteria- but if they didn't do this, insurance wouldn't pay for the surgery. We all laughed, of course, but I completely agreed with what he said. But, insurance companies do what they do. At least you're getting on your way. Just don't lose too much. If you do, you won't qualify anymore! LOL

Hi Meg,

Welcome, I just started my journey on the 3rd of May, I am on a six month supervised diet with a dietitian, I have to have a psych eval, I'll be starting that on July 28th and I am not depressed it's a requirement of my insurance company, my surgeon require that all having a WLS have to have a HIV test done.

I am excite about this wls surgery, I started off seeking the Lab-Band, but when I was at the seminar I seen that, that one wasn't for me, but the sleeve caught my attention and now that's the one I am researching right now.

I will let you know of the question that's asked when I go through my psych eval, maybe someone who has been through it already will answer your question before July :-).

I hope that help and I'll be praying for you on your journey.

Gina

Vickie,

I think 10 pounds in 2 weeks is great! I completely understand your being frustrated because I think all of us figure that if we are eating nothing, compared to what we normally eat, the pounds should melt away in no time. But I think that's great. That's 20 pounds a month! I know the weight loss probably slows down, but by Christmas you might have lost 100 pounds or more. That's alot to lose in just a few months. I've read alot of "success stories" of people losing 75 pounds in 6 months.

Don't get frustrated! I know I can't really talk since I haven't had the surgery and don't know what you're feeling. I'm certainly not looking forward to the "adjustment period" and learning how to eat a) when I'm not hungry and B) foods that I don't want. But I'm proud of you. Just think how long it would have taken you to lose that 10 pounds if you hadn't have had the surgery. I know that my metabolism has died and it would've taken me months.

But, keep your chin up! And I really appreciate the information you shared,- good, bad, and ugly. I want to know what to expect no matter what that reality is. I've heard the surgery is similar to gallbladder surgery. I had my gallbladder out on a Thursday and by Friday night, I was sitting at a Church social, eating. I'm assuming this surgery is more painful, plus we have the added "emotional aspects" of it. I keep trying to stay focused on how I hope I'll feel about 1 month after I've had the surgery.

I do have one more question (and probably many more before it's over). Do you work, and if so, have you gone back to work? I was thinking about having my surgery on a Friday and taking off the next week, returning to work on the following Monday. (Well, maybe two more questions! lol) What about your energy levels? I know with bypass, I've heard it takes several weeks before the energy returns. How do you feel physically?

Thanks for all information. Hang in there!

Meg

I originally started this process thinking I wanted the lap band, but like you after attending the seminar and doing massive online research decided that the sleeve was for me. The surgeon said that he would recommend the band with my low BMI (didn't feel real low to me!) but I told him that I had researched it and that I did not want the band that I thought the sleve was the best option for me. He then proceeded to tell me all of the advantages of the sleeve and the disadvantages of the band! I said, "exactly! that is why I want the sleeve!" since I was self pay it was a pretty quick process but I did have to do the psych evaluation. I think it is standard operating procedure. Mine was a piece of cake and lots of the questions were ridiculous! Dont sweat it, like you say I think they just want to make sure you are stable. I was pretty surprised to find out though that my surgeon requires you to be off some of the antidepressants for at least 2 weeks prior to surgery, mine was one of them. And you know many of these you can't just get off cold turkey. Luckily I had already decided that I didn't need mine anymore and had already come off of mine. (effexor). I am just 2 weeks and a day post op so I am pretty new at it, but I will tell you that the surgery was tougher than I expected. And post op eating is difficult initially. I do not get hungry, in fact have to force myself to eat and the protien shakes get hard to take. I think I could gladly never have another one! lol but I did this to be healthy and getting enough protien is part of it so I do what I have to do! I understand that eating gets much better, but the love affair that you had with food seems to be history! that's ok though, my goal was to eat to live not live to eat as I did before surgery Mission accomplished. Also, since I have less to lose it is definitely coming off much slower than I had anticipated. You must learn patience cause the weight doesn't just fall off, it is a process. I found that I thought since I had taken such drastic measures that I would get drastic results,,,that has not been the case and from what I understand from others posting is not to be expected. The difference though that I keep reminding myself of is that this time the weight is gone forever not just until I reach goal or until this diet is over. This is not a diet it is a change in lifestyle, one that will last the rest of our lives. I still don't really understand why the weight isn't coming off faster though because initially post op you usually get less than 500 calories a day! Now eating mushies I don't get many more than that still. but this last week I lost about 2 pounds! That is only the 2nd week. Totally I have lost 10.1 pounds. And from other posts this is not unusual. Many of us expected a longer ":honeymoon" period, I don't want to discourage you I just want you to be fully armed with the reality and not have unrealistic expectations. I still think that long term this was a good decision for me but there is definitely an ajustment period. I do not get hungry, ever! At least not so far, but I have definitley mourned food! I went to the movies and smelled that popcorn and even though I wasn't hungry I wanted to be able to eat it and mourned not being able to have any. I dearly LOVE watermelon and I can now have it on my mushies diet but I can only eat about 4 or 5 small bites! I used to eat my weight in it. Even the healthy stuff you can only eat so much because your small stomach is very small! I hope I have not discouraged you and have helped you to see all sides to this decision. Good luck and let me hear how you are doing.

Vickie

I'm sleepy, so I'll reply to you tomorrow. But I had to tell you this since you said that about not knowing any other "Meg"s. My maiden name is May. I am a Social Worker in Alabama and have a checking account at Regions bank. There is another Meg May (her married name) in Alabama, who is a Social Worker, and has a Regions account. I know this because they got our accounts mixed up once. I have been sent her SW license and have had people come up to me at conferences (we wear name tags) and act like they know me, only to say, "you don't look like I remembered".

In November, I began working for Public Health and had several trainings to attend. Guess who has been to two of the trainings as a presenter? Meg May! I've told her the several things that have happened to me with regards to getting us mixed up. I had to laugh when I saw her. I"m tall, dark hair and eyes. She's petite, blond, blue-eyed, and is alot older than me. It cracks me up to think that anybody could get me confused with her.

So, not only have I met other "Meg"s, but I've met another "Meg May". Small world!

Will reply to your post later. Have a great day tomorrow!

Meg

HI Meg!

I am actually 3 weeks post-op but I wanted to reply as you are another Meg on the forum- this makes three that I know of ! I find this so funny as for many years I hardly ever met another Meg and right now there are three Meg's in my Water aerobics class as well!

I wanted to reassure you about the psych eval- I have had depression for quite a few years and take an anti-depressant. Don't worry about it- most of the eval, aside from the standard questions about whether you want to harm yourself or others, etc. ,has to do with making sure you understand what the surgery is and also have realistic expectations of what it will do for you. that it is a tool, not a magic wand, etc.

For me it has been the best thing I ever did.

I'm sleepy, so I'll reply to you tomorrow. But I had to tell you this since you said that about not knowing any other "Meg"s. My maiden name is May. I am a Social Worker in Alabama and have a checking account at Regions bank. There is another Meg May (her married name) in Alabama, who is a Social Worker, and has a Regions account. I know this because they got our accounts mixed up once. I have been sent her SW license and have had people come up to me at conferences (we wear name tags) and act like they know me, only to say, "you don't look like I remembered".

In November, I began working for Public Health and had several trainings to attend. Guess who has been to two of the trainings as a presenter? Meg May! I've told her the several things that have happened to me with regards to getting us mixed up. I had to laugh when I saw her. I"m tall, dark hair and eyes. She's petite, blond, blue-eyed, and is alot older than me. It cracks me up to think that anybody could get me confused with her.

So, not only have I met other "Meg"s, but I've met another "Meg May". Small world!

Will reply to your post later. Have a great day tomorrow!

Meg

That is funny- especially funny because the SAME thing happened to me! I am Meg Price now but in my previous marriage I was Meg Davis. Well, when I started Water aerobics the teacher was named Meg...Davis! We soon realized that we went to the same vet for our cats and the same clinic for our health and had been mistaken for each other for years! Small world indeed.

BTW, are you Margaret? All three of the Megs in my class are Margaret.

Hi Meg,

I wanted to throw my two cents in as well, I am 2 weeks out of surgery, and am down 23 pounds so far. All is post-op weight loss, except for 4 pounds. I started this journey thinking I wanted Lapband, but after a seminar I decided on VSG. This has been the best decision of my life. The weight literally melts off at first, it's instant gratification. I always knew I didn't want bypass becuase I am so young (19) I thought it was too extreme. As for the psych eval. I like most everybody on here suffer from depression. My psych eval. had nothing to do with that, basically you answer basic questions, and then do a 500 question "test" to determine if you are in the righ tmind to make this life changing decision. :) Good luck and I look forward to future posts. :D :cheer2:

I am Margaret! I always get, "Where did you get Meg from"? I really can't understand why that's so hard to figure out. I HATE being called "Megan" and when I was younger, my sister would make me irate by calling me "Margie".

I know a couple of other Megs, but didn't know them until I was an adult. I worked with a Meg whose real name was Megan. My sister's name is Kara and I've always liked the fact that we have names that aren't overused or "trendy".

That is funny- especially funny because the SAME thing happened to me! I am Meg Price now but in my previous marriage I was Meg Davis. Well, when I started Water aerobics the teacher was named Meg...Davis! We soon realized that we went to the same vet for our cats and the same clinic for our health and had been mistaken for each other for years! Small world indeed.

BTW, are you Margaret? All three of the Megs in my class are Margaret.

23 pounds in 2 weeks? That's TERRIFIC! I get my motivation by seeing the results of weight loss, which is why, when I thought I'd have bypass, I thought I could do pretty good at keeping the weight off. I know I'm gonna dread the day when the weight loss starts to slow down, but hopefully, I will have lost so much that I'll be happy with how I look by then.

I am really impressed. That's probably almost a couple of clothing sizes!

Keep me posted.

Meg

Hi Meg,

I wanted to throw my two cents in as well, I am 2 weeks out of surgery, and am down 23 pounds so far. All is post-op weight loss, except for 4 pounds. I started this journey thinking I wanted Lapband, but after a seminar I decided on VSG. This has been the best decision of my life. The weight literally melts off at first, it's instant gratification. I always knew I didn't want bypass becuase I am so young (19) I thought it was too extreme. As for the psych eval. I like most everybody on here suffer from depression. My psych eval. had nothing to do with that, basically you answer basic questions, and then do a 500 question "test" to determine if you are in the righ tmind to make this life changing decision. :) Good luck and I look forward to future posts. :D :cheer2:

I am Margaret! I always get, "Where did you get Meg from"? I really can't understand why that's so hard to figure out. I HATE being called "Megan" and when I was younger, my sister would make me irate by calling me "Margie".

I know a couple of other Megs, but didn't know them until I was an adult. I worked with a Meg whose real name was Megan. My sister's name is Kara and I've always liked the fact that we have names that aren't overused or "trendy".

I HATE Megan too! ;-P My husband is Michael and he hates being called Mike- we both are constantly called Megan and Mike. Who would assume Meg is from Megan?

You would have laughed in my Water class tonight- three people left early leaving five in the class and three of us were Megs. We joked that if we had to vote about anything the Megs could band together and out vote the non- Megs. Because of the confusion we all have a different name- the original teacher I met is Mean Meg only because of the times she kicks our butts, I am Meggie because many friends and family call me that, and the third is Megalita.

You and I and Meg from NOLA who is on here can have a special subset- Megs with sleeves!

Megs rule :P

My husband's name is MICHAEL! How funny is this? Except, he's the opposite of your husband. His family calls him Michael, but I know him as "Mike". As an adult, he wanted to be called "Mike".

I HATE Megan too! ;-P My husband is Michael and he hates being called Mike- we both are constantly called Megan and Mike. Who would assume Meg is from Megan?

You would have laughed in my Water class tonight- three people left early leaving five in the class and three of us were Megs. We joked that if we had to vote about anything the Megs could band together and out vote the non- Megs. Because of the confusion we all have a different name- the original teacher I met is Mean Meg only because of the times she kicks our butts, I am Meggie because many friends and family call me that, and the third is Megalita.

You and I and Meg from NOLA who is on here can have a special subset- Megs with sleeves!

Megs rule :P