Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I get some feedback from other bandsters?

This is a tough admission. I was banded in mid March 2006 and so far I've lost around 38 lbs. and I've had 2 fills. I guess that's not too bad, but I need to ask a few things. Please give feedback. Here goes...

1) I find that I still think about food a lot and I don't know that I'm always HUNGRY when I eat. You know...I think I might just eat because it's getting about that time. Anybody else do that? I want to reprogram myself to not be so focused on what I'm going to eat next. Some have said that will happen IN TIME. What do you think?

2) Another thing I've noticed about myself: I guess I'm used to eating a certain amount (pre-band), so when I eat a little bit and hit that brick wall...I take it home and an hour or so later I'm thinking, "I wonder if I can eat more of it now." Now...I don't actually eat more then - - very often - - but I think that's all psychological stuff that I haven't changed yet.

Someone told me once that it was a great thing to have surgery on our stomachs, but what they also need to do is do surgery on our minds.

Anybody else feel like they have had to fight these battles? :phanvan

I REALLY want to lose a lot more weight. I have a long way to go (about 75 more lbs.), so I have to get a handle on this.

I'll be watching for feedback. Thanks guys!!!

Hi,

It's great that you are thinking about these issues! Keep thinking about them, and you'll find your answers. All I can tell you about these problems is that, for me, they come and go. Some days I do better than others. Some weeks are better than others. There are so many things like this that come up as we struggle with our eating issues, and the band is such a great tool. It is there as we work these things out.

You are not alone...I bet you get a lot of feedback on your questions. I know you were probably wanting some magic answers, and I hope you are not too disappointed by mine. I'm trying to be honest with you, and encourage you to just keep going, one day at a time. You'll get there!

I'm only three weeks out of surgery but I still find myself thinking about food constantly. I have lost 17 pounds but at times I have such a crazy desire to eat!! Maybe they should try playing subliminal tapes while they do our surgery!!!!!! "I will not obsess over food, I will not obsess over food!". I just keep telling myself that if I was desperate enough to let someone cut me open, I just have to do what I need to do. Now, if my brain would only listen!!!!!!

I am the same way and I have had to have 2 total unfills when my band got too tight, at which time I gained immediately. I think I am going back to Overeaters Anonymous. They have a really good support program and everyone of them are there for similar reasons.

Ironically, I obsess about food now much more than I ever did. I never really "obsessed" with it before. Now, I think about it ALL the time (almost all the time!). And I don't necessarily mean that I obsess about it in a good way, either. *sigh*. Kinda odd that this happened. It is making it harder for me, I think. But, I'll just keep on pluggin' away and hope that the obsessing goes away ....

Rhlane, you are NOT alone. This is a process that all of us have to go through, and for some it's easier than others. This is the "head work" we hear so much about.

For me the only answer was and remains getting interested in something else. That means getting up from the table and actively doing something else so my head can't think about food. When I'm not physically hungry that is much easier than if I were trying to conquer hunger pangs--and I have the band to thank for that--but it still takes action on my part. I can't just sit around and expect the thoughts of food to disappear on their own. They don't.

Being banded makes it MUCH easier for me to get over it, though. And just move on to something else. Mealtime will come around again, it always does, and then I'll be ready to eat again.

Thanks. I agree...it's much easier (compared to before the band). And I think I'm doing ok. I'm just somewhat concerned I guess. Its not that my mind is consumed with food thoughts all the time. I don't want that to be the idea. But I feel like "changing my overall mindset" is a process that is moving along very slowly for me...and its scary... frustrating.

You are definately not alone! I have struggled with the same issues -- once I had restriction though the head hunger started to fade. I could stop and think "Am I REALLY hungry?" whereas before I had restriction, it could have been a combination of head hunger and actual hunger, or my body was more easily talked into the thought that it was real hunger. I also went through a phase where I mourned quantity of food - not the food itself, because I would always have bites of things to satisfy my tastebuds, but I mourned actual disgustingly big oversized overflowing platelfuls of food. For a long time I would still pile my plate high, but then only end up barely touching it. Then, once I had good restriction, it felt empowering to take only small amounts and still not be able to clean my plate. Your mindset changes as does your power over food, its just that everyone's path in doing so is so different! Congrats on a great start to your weight loss!

Kristin

Head issues don't disapear over night, thats for sure. I do the same thing as you and so many others here.

Hang in there!

Here is a suggestion that worked for me:

I eat at set times each day, and only a certain amount (measure!).

I have found that after a week that I am not having so much head hunger.

I haven't been banded long enough to give you an experienced opinion. However, I could tell you what I will do when I reach that point...and I'm sure I will because I obsessed about food preband.

First, if I'm tempted by food at home such as "doggie bags"....then I just won't bring doggie bags home anymore. I think it would be best for me just to wipe this obstacle out of my life.

Secondly, if I'm not hungry I will force myself not to eat "just because" I'm thinking about eating.

I have to admit....that this will be easier said than done....but it is definately the route I'll take.

Carol

It took me finally ordering less food to change that bad habit. I would do the same thing...bring it home and want to eat it almost the minute we would walk in the door. Now I order just enough to fill me up and I don't bring it home.

Now if I could just control that at home I would be set. If there's something I really, really like, it's hard for me not to "want", not necesarily eat, larger amounts. If I eat something that's really, really good, my first instinct is to want more. I need to teach myself that one helping is enough...not to go back and have more an hour later. It doen't happen as often as it used to, but it does still happen every now and then.

I am 5 months post surgery and there are days when I struggle with the same things you mentioned. But there are also a lot of days when food just isn't an issue. Those are the days I feel like I'm acutally making some progress with the head hunger issue! The good days are usually when I'm at work an busy, and the weekends are harder because I'm home and haven't got urgent things to keep my mind occupied. I find evenings are harder for the same reason, so I'm trying to keep busy with projects in the evenings.

But I do find that more and more often I ask myself if I'm really hungry or not, so I am encouraged by that! It's all a process and a journey, and even small changes in our mindset or behavior are progress...

Emily

So many have given there advice on how to deal with head issues, but I haven't seen many congratulate you on losing 38lbs! You are doing great! I know how hard it is some days but I try and focus on what I have achieved. Good luck and keep up the good work!

I believe that your main concern is HEAD HUNGER. I will tell you that I was shocked because I never knew that head hunger existed. Until the band 2 weeks ago. I kept wanting to eat but not feeling hungry. and then I understood for the first time in 40 years. Hey, That's how I got fat.... I will also tell you that before the band, I was hungry all the time.. I could eat a big meal and several hours later be hungry. Not anymore.....

I think that is why so many people don't take off ALL the WEIGHT... Everybody struggles with HEAD HUNGER. You are normal. I am searcing for a hobby that will replace food... food has been my best friend for 15 years. Probably true for most people that will read this. Try to replace it with exercise.... or something else... that is my plan. IT is hard though... Good luck.