Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All...

After about 2 years of going back and forth between considering surgery and the latest diet fad, surgery has won. I had my first wls consult about 2 years ago and had I stuck with it I would be post op by now and much more healthy. So, I am starting again. June 30th I will once again be meeting with the nurse to start the process again. This time I will not let my mind play tricks on me by telling me that I can lose on my own. I suffer from HBP and heart disease. I will be 40 in November and my daughter starts high school in the fall. I want to be here to see her graduate!!

I joined this community for support and insight. I am sure I will get both.

Congrats on your decision. You have to be brave to follow all the way through, as I don't be believe that this is the easy way out. I think a lot of us have thought of trying it once more with diet alone. I wish you every success. Keep reading and keep posting - you'll get to learn a lot! wink.gif

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on making your decision. You'll definitely find a lot of support here - I know I have.

I'm just starting my WLS journey, but I am constantly having the second and third thoughts about my decision. When this happens, I just remind myself of the reasons why I want to loose the weight permanently and the reasons why I chose this surgery. It really does help.

Keep researching and learning about your surgery choice. It's amazing what information is out there if you search for it.

It took me 5 years to finally make up my mind - I was just sleeved on 19 May, and although there were some minimal side effects from the pain medication, I'm feeling fine.

It's an amazing feeling to put on a pair of jeans and find that they fit you, as they should, rather than being too tight...

Making the decision is really the hardest part. Congratulations - and keep going.....! :)

Congrats on getting this far, and Godspeed on the remainder of your journey!

I'm like you... I've been considering some form of weight loss surgery or another for the last 10 years... now, I'm finally on my way!

Congratz on your brave decision. Wls is an excellent way to regain your life back. Good luck on your journey.

Deb B)

I think the only regret most people have, is not doing it sooner. I cannot wait until my surgery :) Good luck on your journey!!

Good luck to you and your journey. You will find great advice and great people here on this fourm. If you are ever in need of anything, just ask. You are sure to find someone that has "been there".

WLS is a very brave decision. I too did it to re-gain my life and health back. I had hbp and diabetes at the age of 35 and did not want to live that way for the rest of my life. Yo-Yo dieting was my lifestyle and I believe this surgery is a lifesaver for me. I have already come off my bp and diabetic meds!!

I was only sleeved on 5/9, but know this is the best gift I could have ever given myself! You will too!

Keep us posted on your journey!!

Kelly :)

Welcome and congratulations on your decision to be sleeved! You can do it! I was just sleeved on Tuesday as I am feeling great! You can do this!

Welcome, thinkingabout VSG! biggrin.gif

With my surgery FOUR DAYS AWAY -- Vertical Sleeve Talk is the best place to get accurate information about VSG before & after! The wonderful people here tell it like it is -- the GOOD (and there is a lot of that!), the BAD (nothing this important should be sugar coated) & the UGLY (like dealing with people who say "oh, you took the easy way out" - because surgically removing 85% of my stomach is the easy way out).

The folks here are some of the smartest, kindest and most generous I have ever NEVER ACTUALLY MET! If you need a mentor, or have a question, a concern, an irrational fear -- this is the place to let it all hang out! I keep telling my non-WLS friends that I've become part of a very supportive community! When I'm second guessing myself and my decision to have VSG I come to VST and ask for a pep talk or just a safe place to vent!

I know Bette Davis said "old age ain't for sissies" (now at 56 I know how true that is!) but my version is "morbid obesity ain't for sissies" too. If I had $1 for every pound I have lost (first diet at age 9) and then $2 for every pound I regained (the regain is always with "interest") I would wealthy enough to retire NOW!! I have always been a very loud & proud fat women (hey, I owned the word fat because that is what I am

& it is a truth not a judgement) but my obesity is interfering with my quality of life and my obesity-caused "co-morbidities" are shortening my life -- for me this isn't about wearing cuter clothes (yes, that will be a good thing) it is about saving my life so I can be here for the people I love. Right now this is the BEST TOOL the medical profession can offer the morbidly obese and VST is the best place to learn about having and living with VSG.

Congratulations on your decision. I haven't been sleeved yet but from EVERYTHING I have read (and its been a TON...lol) you will never regret it! I can't wait for my own surgery next month. I'm like you, I researched for 4 years after my best friend has the gastric bypass. She has done wonderful but I was a little hesitant to go that drastic with my body. So, I decided lapband was for me! Well then I heard about the sleeve and I haven't turned back since. I'm scared to death of not being able to eat and throwing up everything like some people with lapband do. I know some people in my family have said it was just as drastic as bypass I know in my heart its what is right for me. I'm not rearranging my insides just losing a little that I don't need. I'm thinking of it like I did my gallbladder removal last year. If I don't NEED it, I won't MISS it! lol

I'm looking forward to following your journey. I haven't been on this website long (as a member, I lurked for a few weeks...lol) but there is LOADS AND LOADS of information on here from REAL people.

Good luck and blessings!!! :)

OMG....thanks everyone for your encouraging words....I am so happy I joined this community. The responses actually brought tears to my eyes (ok so I am pms'n too lol) But seriously, I wish I had found this place sooner. But this is my time. I am not looking back any longer. Every day it gets a lil harder to get out of bed and I know its because of the aches, pains, lack of sleep, and just feeling plain icky. My body is tired of this mass that I have been carrying around for all these years. Thanks again...I am home!

Hello All...

After about 2 years of going back and forth between considering surgery and the latest diet fad, surgery has won. I had my first wls consult about 2 years ago and had I stuck with it I would be post op by now and much more healthy. So, I am starting again. June 30th I will once again be meeting with the nurse to start the process again. This time I will not let my mind play tricks on me by telling me that I can lose on my own. I suffer from HBP and heart disease. I will be 40 in November and my daughter starts high school in the fall. I want to be here to see her graduate!!

I joined this community for support and insight. I am sure I will get both.

Congratulations for making such a wonderful desicion! I've been reading your posts and they brought tears to my eyes, but you've taken the first and probably biggest step. You'll love your sleeve and this place will give you great support, good luck in your journey!

Wow!! Your story mimics my own in that I WAS to be sleeved last December and I also changed my mind. I just turned 40 in April and because of health concerns AND wanting to see my beautiful girls grow up, I again decided on the sleeve. This website and it's members are such an encouragement. I visit at least twice a day - sometimes just to look at other's before and after pics. :D I hope to be sleeved in mid-November - this site is a wonderful resource!!!