Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone has had the VSG as a teen and if you have if you could talk to me a little about your experience and results!

Thanks!

Monica

I recently had the vsg surgery june3rd and im 19. First off let me just tell you if you think your prepared for it your wrong lol i thought i was well prepared for what was to come. My mom had the vsg a few months before i did and drilled all the information into my head, i read the forums read the books. Im not going to sugar coat it, this will probably be one of the hardest things you will EVER do in your life. You can never fully prepare yourself for this surgery until you go through it. I dont regret having my surgery for one second im dropping the weight like crazy! But its not going to be all fun and easy. I had mt surgery in Tijuana mexcio with dr.kelly. I got there a day early and stayed in a hotel in san deigo the next day our driver came and picked us up at 8am and took me to the hospital i got admitted and was settled into my room (my mom went with me). They took me to go get an xray done, it only took like 5 minutes tops and the cardiologist came into the room and listened to my heart and hooked me up to a machine for a second to make sure everything was okay. it all checked out good. Then the IV lady came in and put an IV in my arm im not going to lie it hurt like hell lol ive never had to have one. Dr. Kelly then came in to see me and go over everything that was going to happen and to answer any last minute questions i had and told me i would be having my surgery in 2 hours. When the time came they loaded me onto a strecher and wheeled me out into the hallway where i got onto a different bed then they rolled that one into the operating room where i got onto another bed (it was weird lol) and there was like 3 people in the room and i layed there, i thought they would put a gas mask on me like in the movies but i guess not lol. I started feeling like i was going to pass out and i tried to ask them if i should be feeling like this but before i could get my sentence out i was out for the count. Next thing i knew i was waking up in my bed in horriable horriable pain it was probably the worst pain ive ever felt in my life it felt like someone was stabbing me in my stomach all i remember is yelling a few curse words and yelling out to my mom "mom it hurts, it hurts soo bad" over and over again. They gave me some pain medicine and i clamed down a little bit. That first night was the worst but the pain was managable. I was up walking to the bathroom with some help from my mom about an hour or two after surgery. The next day it really is alot better i was up walking the halls like a champ, still a little pain but nothing like the day before. I was not able to eat or drink anything the 2 days i was in the hospital all i could have was ice chips. The whole second day was pretty uneventful all i did was walk around as much as i could and it really did help. The next day i was discharged and went to a hotel to stay for 2 more days the first day in the hotel Dr.Kelly's son came and took me to a different hotel to get my leak test done everything checked out good but that stuff they made me drink for it was god awful lol very very nasty! They took us back to the hotel and Dr.Kellys son went to go pick up my medicine he brought back some spray for my incisions to keep them clean, some antibiotics and some pian medicine that i havent used because i havent needed it. The 2 days in the hotel were alright we pretty much did our own thing Dr.Kelly visited me like 3 or 4 times a day. When the 2 days were finally up we were home bound and boy were we glad to get home those 5 days will wear you down lol. Well there goes my story of my trip to mexico. My journey is still not over now that i look back the hospital stay was a breeze its when you get home and are on your own is when the real test sets in you have to be sure to get in ALL your Protein in and ALL your fluids. by the end of the day you feel like your drowning in fluids. The hardest part is seeing everyone else around you still moving on with their lives eating and enjoying food while your sipping on your wonderful fluids (in being sarcastic) lol. This journey has its ups and its down you will feel happy and on top of the world one mintue and depressed and down in the dumps the next. But you will get though it. I havent made it through it yet but i will and am still trucking though it. I hope this helps and good luck on your journey. If you wanna know anything else just let me know. --Jessica

This is EXACTLY like my experience. I actually just cried reading this.

I was 19 and went to Tijuana with my dad.

I didn't go though any therapy. Which was a MISTAKE /: I had no clue how much this surgery was going to change my life.

I don't regret it a day being a size 4 and 100lbs lighter a year later but my goodness. Looking back I should've prepared myself.

Now I'm in intense therapy and doing better everyday. Working on getting more calories in so the weight loss will slow down.

Let me know if you ever want to talk. I'm new on here and don't really know anyone with the surgery my age.

Caseukrywalski@yahoo.com is my email if you'd like to!

Wow this is very helpful!im 20 and waiting to be approved from my insurance.both of your stories opened my eyes!im an emotional eater and have let that get a little out of controll so iv been anxious about what I'm going to do post op when I can't reach for Cookies or McDonald's when I'm stressed out.with the surgery coming soon(hopefully) i know it's going to be waaaayyyy harder then I thought but I'm a strong girl and have a great support system...thanks for sharing your stories!i appreciate it,good luck!

I just had surgery July 24 and im 18. I went thought a program called MPOWER that put me in a setting with other overweight teens hopeing for surgery and prepaired us for 6months. My surgery was approved by them, but insurence had other ideas so i had to wait. I was part of Mpower for over a year and felt nicely prepaired for surgery. Being almost 2weeks out I feel i've been giveing the tools to do well, and keep in mind every sleeve is different. It hasn't been easy, thats for sure. Being a teenager i think it's harder than most, becuase we are social and go out with friends and eat. I never fully relized how soical eating was untill you can't eat. The pre surgery liquid diet was the hardest for me and emotionally draining, but after three days my body started to adjust and i was like "im gonna be ok" and i was. THis really shows you how strong you are. Im currently doing well, im down 35 pounds in only three weeks, 23 from the liquid before hand. Im still getting use to my new stomache but im happy I did this! your strong you can too :} let me know if you ever need anything

All of these posts are so helpful! I had mine July 26 and I am really scared about when I'm able to eat the normal foods again. It's easy now because I physically can't, and I'm worried that the temptation of eating foods that i used to will be overwhelming. I'm about to start college in a couple of weeks and I'm worried everything will be too much to handle and that I will end up dropping out or something.

All of these posts are so helpful! I had mine July 26 and I am really scared about when I'm able to eat the normal foods again. It's easy now because I physically can't, and I'm worried that the temptation of eating foods that i used to will be overwhelming. I'm about to start college in a couple of weeks and I'm worried everything will be too much to handle and that I will end up dropping out or something.

I use to think the same. I start college in a few weeks too and im scared with college being new, and a new life style but you gotta remember why you got your sleeve. There is some things that tempt me but then i remember the weight i lost, and i went and treated myself to a "Goal" outfit that helps keep me motivated to fit into it. Today i was tempted to eat the left over olive garden in the fridge and i took a bite of a noodle to taste the flavor and put it back. Too much pain and hard work to throw it away. Im using self strength I never new i had. College is going to be an adjustment but i have faith in myself ..you can do it i promise. a few months down the road when your healed its ok to have a bite or two of pizza or a taste of something but don't go crazy. I've learned every persons sleeve is different It's trail and error about what your body can handle and cannot down the road. You got this girl :]

Hi I'm 16 and I had my sleeve August 30th few days ago. Woke up from surgery in a lot of pain but I'm surprised how fast I am healing. this is the beginning of my new journey.

Hi, I would like to know where everybody had Their surgery at? I'm 16 and having the worst time trying to find out how to get the sleeve done!

Hi, I would like to know where everybody had Their surgery at? I'm 16 and having the worst time trying to find out how to get the sleeve done!

I had my surgery done by Dr.Alveraz in Piedras Negras Mexico

How was your experience with going to mexico and stuff? I tried to convince my grandparents to going to mexico but there just like NO! lol