Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-surgery anxiety, jitters normal?!?!?

Hello Gang,

I posted this in the pre-op forum and it occured to me that you post-op folks may have some insight for me!

My surgery date has been set for June 6th and I am excited but I have been having lots of anxiety! I wake up at night thinking I'm crazy to do this. In the morning when I look over the entire journey and how I came to this decision, I am comfortable and convinced and positive it's the right thing for me at this time!

Is this normal? Did others have these pre-op fears?

I also worry I will not be able to think clearly. I am a doctoral student (don't attend regular classes weekly) and fear I will not be able to do my work for too long. I think this is contributing to my anxiety.

Any help, support, ideas are greatly appreciated! Best wishes to everyone on the board in their journey!

MNB

it's totally normal! Just keep reminding yourself why you're doing this. You can do it and you'll be so proud of yourself afterwards!

Welcome!!!! You are officially a "Jewel of June"!!! :grouphug:

You now have a support system that knows no better.

If you didn't have worries, doubts, and mental demons you wouldn't be normal. If fact , if you didn't have any other those you would be down right weird!!:der:

We ALL have fears. Whether it's fear of loss of control, dieing on the table, fear of pain, or just fear of the unknown, we all have them and they are completely normal.

I will have my surgery on the same day as you, so we are both in good company!!:hug:

FEAR NOT, SISTA!! THE JEWELS OF JUNE HAVE YOUR BACK!!!:fencing:

Just keep in touch and we will travel this new and exciting road together.:car:

Valentina :grouphug:

Hello Gang,

I posted this in the pre-op forum and it occured to me that you post-op folks may have some insight for me!

My surgery date has been set for June 6th and I am excited but I have been having lots of anxiety! I wake up at night thinking I'm crazy to do this. In the morning when I look over the entire journey and how I came to this decision, I am comfortable and convinced and positive it's the right thing for me at this time!

Is this normal? Did others have these pre-op fears?

I also worry I will not be able to think clearly. I am a doctoral student (don't attend regular classes weekly) and fear I will not be able to do my work for too long. I think this is contributing to my anxiety.

Any help, support, ideas are greatly appreciated! Best wishes to everyone on the board in their journey!

MNB

Totally normal...i broke down crying, I second guessed my decision...i was nervous right up until the oxygen mask went over my nose

i was telling my bff on Wednesday that sometimes I am just sitting down and I cant believe I actually did it.

Just make sure you've researched, your doctor, and Pray. You'll be fine!

Thank you Valentina!!! WOW! How cool we have the same date!!! Thank you so much for your post. It really helps!!!

MNB

PS: I love your name!!!!

Welcome!!!! You are officially a "Jewel of June"!!! :grouphug:

You now have a support system that knows no better.

If you didn't have worries, doubts, and mental demons you wouldn't be normal. If fact , if you didn't have any other those you would be down right weird!!:der:

We ALL have fears. Whether it's fear of loss of control, dieing on the table, fear of pain, or just fear of the unknown, we all have them and they are completely normal.

I will have my surgery on the same day as you, so we are both in good company!!:hug:

FEAR NOT, SISTA!! THE JEWELS OF JUNE HAVE YOUR BACK!!!:fencing:

Just keep in touch and we will travel this new and exciting road together.:car:

With a birthday on Valentine's Day, I guess my name makes a great deal of sense!:)

Thank you Valentina!!! WOW! How cool we have the same date!!! Thank you so much for your post. It really helps!!!

MNB

PS: I love your name!!!!

Thank you Samantha! Your post is so helpful! I actually felt like crying on Wednesday and it freaked me out because it's not like me. But I can't tell where the stress is coming from. I have confidence in my MD and I've done A LOT of praying! :-) Sounds like I'm right on track!!! :-) This is an awesome group of people. I really appreciate the support I've received. I also appreciate you sharing your experience. I'll be posting with my updates... :-)

MNB

Totally normal...i broke down crying, I second guessed my decision...i was nervous right up until the oxygen mask went over my nose

i was telling my bff on Wednesday that sometimes I am just sitting down and I cant believe I actually did it.

Just make sure you've researched, your doctor, and Pray. You'll be fine!

Thank you Samantha! Your post is so helpful! I actually felt like crying on Wednesday and it freaked me out because it's not like me. But I can't tell where the stress is coming from. I have confidence in my MD and I've done A LOT of praying! :-) Sounds like I'm right on track!!! :-) This is an awesome group of people. I really appreciate the support I've received. I also appreciate you sharing your experience. I'll be posting with my updates... :-)

MNB

Happy to help!!! This is one of, if not THE most important decisions you will make in your life. Also surgery is no small undertaking...it involves risk, so to be cavalier and nonchalant would be totally abnormal. I thank God everyday that I went in and came out OK, and pray it continues to be that way.

Good luck when your day comes!

If you look back and look at some of my current posts, you will see that I was/am an emotional wreck.

on my last day at work before the pre-op diet my asst bought me red velvet cupcakes and i broke down bawling at work....its totally normal.

Absolutely normal, I posted something similar regarding how I would alternate between extreme joy and then terror. It's not fun to be nervous, but it does mean you are thinking things through. That's normal and important. I was just sleeved last wk 5/16 and I am as shocked that I finally did it as I am thrilled! Good luck and keep us updated.

:)

Thank you for your comments Kelly! Wow, you're just a week out!!! How are you feeling physically?!?!?! I guess you must be coming along nicely - since you're posting here. I hope so!!! Congratulations on your sleeve! I look forward to reading more about your progress!

Absolutely normal, I posted something similar regarding how I would alternate between extreme joy and then terror. It's not fun to be nervous, but it does mean you are thinking things through. That's normal and important. I was just sleeved last wk 5/16 and I am as shocked that I finally did it as I am thrilled! Good luck and keep us updated.

:)

Red Velvet cup cakes do that to people! ;-)

Happy to help!!! This is one of, if not THE most important decisions you will make in your life. Also surgery is no small undertaking...it involves risk, so to be cavalier and nonchalant would be totally abnormal. I thank God everyday that I went in and came out OK, and pray it continues to be that way.

Good luck when your day comes!

If you look back and look at some of my current posts, you will see that I was/am an emotional wreck.

on my last day at work before the pre-op diet my asst bought me red velvet cupcakes and i broke down bawling at work....its totally normal.

Beautiful!!! There are no excuses to forget your birthday! :-)

With a birthday on Valentine's Day, I guess my name makes a great deal of sense!:)

Yes, and as of this next Mon I will be 2 wks!! Hard to believe! I am doing great actually, i am getting around good, haven't had any pain since being released from the hospital. Luckily so far no nausea or throwing up. No difficulty swallowing liquids. But I've always been a sipper, not a gulper lol. And you wouldn't even know I had just had surgery unless you paid attention to my eating. My sis says I looked better in the hospital than before, but it's probably cuz I was well hydrated from the IV. I had been sick right before surgery with bronchitis/sinus/allergy stuff. I didn't know till just a few days before surgery if I was even gonna get to do it. But I got better and it all worked out and I am loving the sleeved life!!! I hope you have an easy recovery too!!

:hippie:

Thanks Kelly! Great to hear about your awesome recovery!!! I hope I have a similar experience!!!! Fingers crossed your experience rubs off on me!!!! :-)

Yes, and as of this next Mon I will be 2 wks!! Hard to believe! I am doing great actually, i am getting around good, haven't had any pain since being released from the hospital. Luckily so far no nausea or throwing up. No difficulty swallowing liquids. But I've always been a sipper, not a gulper lol. And you wouldn't even know I had just had surgery unless you paid attention to my eating. My sis says I looked better in the hospital than before, but it's probably cuz I was well hydrated from the IV. I had been sick right before surgery with bronchitis/sinus/allergy stuff. I didn't know till just a few days before surgery if I was even gonna get to do it. But I got better and it all worked out and I am loving the sleeved life!!! I hope you have an easy recovery too!!

:hippie:

Hi,

I just got sleeved on Monday. You are perfectly okay to be nervous. It is a big operation and one that should not be taken lightly. But go through your list of reasons on why are doing this and weigh that against your fears. After that, think about what will happen if you let those fears get to you. If you do, then you will most likely have to have an operation in the future on one of the many diseases you already have or will have due to obesity. You have come too far to let fear get the best of you.

I was nervous too but mainly about the operation - my mind had been made up that the operation was the right thing to do. The process was run smoothly and everyone was so nice that the process toward getting on the operating table was a breeze. It happened so fast, I didn't have time to really panic. It helped a lot before that I needed to not act scared or too worried because it would only cause worry and panic attacks for my mom and husband. It made it easier to be stronger, having to reassure them. You will probably feel the same way.

I will admit I cried the morning after my operation because I was in a lot of pain and no one was around that I had to worry about worrying. The nurse was nice and just told me to get it out. I actually forgot about that now and just told my husband about it. It seemed so hopeless in that moment but I got over it quickly like it was a passing thunderstorm. But I got discharged by 5:30 on Tuesday and felt pretty good at home that day but still really groggy so I slept a lot. When I woke up on Wednesday, I felt like myself mentally and had a good amount of energy. Everything still hurts today but Tylenol takes the edge off when I really need some prescription assistance.

I think it will be worth those two days if the sleeve helps me lose the 100+ pounds that I still need to lose. I am worried to a certain degree because I can really put down some liquids - more than I thought possible but in reality I am only doing 2-4 oz over an hour's time. I admit I am worried what the end results will be, that I will be one of those people who don't have much restrictions. However, liquids are different than other foods so I am sure I will feel A LOT more restriction after I move to them which will not be for awhile. I guess I should be glad to have gotten all my Protein in today!

I'm sure your surgery will go well - I wish you the best and feel free to contact me with any questions. I may not know of them but I may remember someone who can answer it for us!